Heater control bulb ? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 3:41 PM Thread Starter

Heater control bulb ?

I just replaced the instrument dash bulbs with new 168 bulbs. I noticed the heater control part of the dash does not light up. It looks like a plug on the back of the heater control box but It looks like it may be a connector that holds a different type bulb. I do not want to tear it up forcing it out until I know for sure it is a plug that uses a different type bulb than the 168 type . Am I right that this has a twist out connector that holds a bulb? It is very hard to see thru the windshield and using a trouble light to see down in there. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 6:06 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: Heater control bulb ?

If this was a ‘70 thru ‘72, #168 bulbs were the wrong choice. #194 is the correct bulb.

People think they get that one extra candle power per bulb with no “catch”, but the truth of the matter is the 168s run much hotter, adding extra wear and tear on dash equipment.

As for the heater control bulb, it is a #1445. To remove it, you gently grasp the plastic connector and push to side to tilt it slightly as you pull it out. It has plastic tabs that hold it in place and you gently rock it out.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 6:53 PM
Gold Member
Joe

And to expand...

Once you get the bulb holder out, the bulb (#1445), is a miniature bayonet based bulb. You gently push in and turn to release the bulb from the socket.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 8:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try to remove it that way. Looks like after I spent around $60 on the wrong bulbs. Not to mention the trouble I had putting them in I will be doing it again, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in