69 turn signals not working - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 18, 1:19 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: 69 turn signals not working

Sorry for not reading all the replies before posting.

Another thought;
Many times the fuse is good but one or both of the fuse holder clips do not make contact with the fuse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 18, 3:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Dean if the back up lights work the fuse is good.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 2:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Dean and oldcutlass- Actually the backup lights do not work. After your last posts I pulled the backup light bulbs and both are good. But I looked at the switch on the column that would engage the neutral switch and and also the backup lights there are no wires connected to it.
I guess I didn't state that this car was originally a automatic and has been changed over to a 4 speed. I will have to figure out where the wires or connector that should be attached to this are. I wonder if I could use a jumper wire to see if that is the problem.
I have only had this car for a week and the blinkers seem to be the only electrical problem. But there is a long list of other issues I need to deal with.
Thank you guys for your help. I never would of thought that the backup lights had any connection to the blinkers. I will dig into this tomorrow.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 2:27 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Dean if the back up lights work the fuse is good.
Are they on the same fuse as the turn signals?

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 2:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

I am thinking that the wires going to the neutral switch must be jumper ed or I would not be able to start the car. There is no safety to be sure the clutch is depressed so you cannot start the car while in gear. I will also need to add a safety clutch switch at a later time.
I got this car because I wanted another project and I guess this will keep me busy a long time. ha ha.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 2:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Dean, I cannot tell if the backup lights use the same fuse.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 4:34 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I can't tell by looking at the diagram either, it shows two pink wires going to two different fuses.

Was the car originally an automatic?
If so, do you see the pink and green wires that were on the neutral safety switch?

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 5:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Are they on the same fuse as the turn signals?
Yes.

Op, did you check for voltage on the purple wire and the turn signal connector? A test light would work fine. No, I did not realize its a manual transmission car until you mentioned it.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 6:00 PM
Gold Member
Joe

On a 1969 Chevelle, the turn signals, back-up lamps and IGN add-on port on the fuse block are all controlled by the single 20 amp fuse labeled DIR SIG BACK UP.

If this fuse is blown or the clips holding the fuse have excessive corrosion causing an excessive voltage drop, you will have no turn signals or back-up lights.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 18, 6:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

I will check the purple wire and the turn signal connector tomorrow and see what I get. I will also pull the 20 amp fuse and look for corrosion on the connectors although the fuse panel looks pretty clean.
The car was originally an automatic. Someone must have jumpered the wires to the neutral safety switch since the car will start even though there are no wires connected to the neutral safety switch on the column . Thanks Coppertop for the info. Good to know. Back at it tomorrow.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 5:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

Ok, the purple wire has 12 volts at the connector to the steering column and checked the fuse holder for any corrosion and it is clean. I guess this may point to the switch for the turn signals. i cannot see the pink and green wires that were on the neutral safety switch.
I guess I will need to drop the steering wheel and pull the dash to see everything in there.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 6:25 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I think the pink and light green are for the reverse lights. Those should be in a connector that is at the base of the steering column. As a matter of fact you will need to find those to make your reverse lights work with a 4 speed (assume this is a Hurst Competition) and this https://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/2480003/10002/-1.
Which mounts to the rear stop on the shifter housing. Need to run one wire to the pink from the switch and one wire to the green from the switch.
If you just jump the pink to the green the reverse lights should come on.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 6:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichF View Post
Ok, the purple wire has 12 volts at the connector to the steering column and checked the fuse holder for any corrosion and it is clean. I guess this may point to the switch for the turn signals. i cannot see the pink and green wires that were on the neutral safety switch.
I guess I will need to drop the steering wheel and pull the dash to see everything in there.
I'm thinking your directional switch went south because there is voltage at the connector. You don't need to remove the dash to see whats going on. The original NSS switch is on the column and the wiring should be close to it.

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 9:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rich

BLM - Thanks for the information on the back up light switch. I will be working with that later on. It is a Hurst shifter.
oldcutass- Yeah I am thinking it is the switch also. I have done some research on that and sounds like you need to replace the switch and run the wires down through the column. Thanks for the help. RichF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in