Dash Lights - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 4:27 PM Thread Starter

Dash Lights

I have a 1972 Chevelle with special instrument dash. Can the original bulbs be replace with ones that put out more light? Even on high setting the lights are very dim. I have checked and all are burning but I wish they were brighter and easier to see. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 5:08 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Re: Dash Lights

There are LED bulbs that are much brighter. Be sure to get the kind that have LEDs on all sides, those that just fire straight out don't tend to get the light everywhere you want it since the instrument lighting depends on ambient light inside the housing.

Attached is a photo of what my 69 C10 dash looks l like with all green LEDs.

NOTE: less expensive LEDs are not dimable, if you want dimable you'll have to look deeper and pay somewhat more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leddash.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	572384  

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rich Cummings
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 9:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

Bulbs get old and go dim, and sometimes the bulb glass "silvers" and the light can't get out. Have you looked at the bulbs to see if they are just dim or silvered or what? Buying new "standard" or Heavy Duty bulbs is a byte less expensive than LEDs.

Our You Tube Vids:

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 9:21 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
There are LED bulbs that are much brighter. Be sure to get the kind that have LEDs on all sides, those that just fire straight out don't tend to get the light everywhere you want it since the instrument lighting depends on ambient light inside the housing.

NOTE: less expensive LEDs are not dimable, if you want dimable you'll have to look deeper and pay somewhat more.

That looks great. Do you have a part number of the LED bulb or a picture of it?

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 10:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Also , Something to consider. I installed " RELAYS " on my headlights. Now the dash lights are about 40% brighter, NOW I use the dimmer.
FACT: The interior lighting and the headlights are supplied power by one wire. When you wire relays for the headlights that is one big improvement and the interior gets more voltage.
Plus, With brighter headlights you see better at night. NOW when I flip on my bright lights ( Halogen bulbs & Relays ) in my 70, You will get a reaction from on coming traffic.
One of the best up / grades I have done, Very good headlights and very bright interior and dash lights.
Bottom line is the H. Lights are getting 12 Volts from the Batt. and NOT from inside the car. Two relays and some wire and about two hours of time equals,,,,, Bright dash lights and bright headlights.
Bob
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 11:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Pay the extra cash for the dimmable dash lights. It really sucks to go night blind due to extremely bright dash gauges.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 11:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Donald

Part# and supplier would be great, help ime see better, love the bright lights
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna=Lowrider View Post
I have a 1972 Chevelle with special instrument dash. Can the original bulbs be replace with ones that put out more light? Even on high setting the lights are very dim. I have checked and all are burning but I wish they were brighter and easier to see. Thanks
Did you verify your headlight switch is turned to the left when pulled out? Do you see a difference in the brightness of the dash lights when you do turn the switch from left to right? If you get no difference in the bulb intensity when you do this your switch could be suspect. You can replace the switch and all bulbs for 50 bucks or so. Pop the pad and check it out.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickeyChevelle View Post
Bulbs get old and go dim, and sometimes the bulb glass "silvers" and the light can't get out. Have you looked at the bulbs to see if they are just dim or silvered or what? Buying new "standard" or Heavy Duty bulbs is a byte less expensive than LEDs.

I have never replaced them so they are original bulbs . Guess its a wonder they still work at all.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post

Those look great , I will check into getting those for my car. Thanks.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Did you verify your headlight switch is turned to the left when pulled out? Do you see a difference in the brightness of the dash lights when you do turn the switch from left to right? If you get no difference in the bulb intensity when you do this your switch could be suspect. You can replace the switch and all bulbs for 50 bucks or so. Pop the pad and check it out.

Yes , I can not tell they are even on unless I turn the knob all the way left.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 11:14 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

In my 69 I replaced all the bulbs with what I believe was a brighter 3 candle power bulb. They are still dim. Thought about using LEDs but talked myself out of it. In a 69 they are a real pain to change. My next move will be to use LED bulbx and I will be using these.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-car/2077/

I believe they are the ones to go with.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 2:06 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
In my 69 I replaced all the bulbs with what I believe was a brighter 3 candle power bulb. They are still dim. Thought about using LEDs but talked myself out of it. In a 69 they are a real pain to change. My next move will be to use LED bulbx and I will be using these.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ofit-car/2077/

I believe they are the ones to go with.
Those are waaaaay overpriced. I've gotten entire sets of 10 for not much more than the price of one they are selling.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 2:08 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SS454 View Post
That looks great. Do you have a part number of the LED bulb or a picture of it?
These are the ones I used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-x-T10-Gre...72.m2749.l2649

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 2:27 PM
Tech Team

I also installed a relay kit a couple of months ago, Dash lights are very bright now, night and day difference 👍

Got the kit from EBay, $20 something I think, it was all assembled and wired, took me 20 minutes to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 401 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.