Turn signal issues - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 18, 1:31 PM Thread Starter
Brad

Turn signal issues

Can anyone help me with a front turn signal issue? I have a 69 Chevelle Malibu and the front turn signals will not work. I am not getting any volts to the socket when my turn signals or hazards are on; both of my rear signals do work. The front markers will light up when I have the running lights or lights on, but they will not signal when I try to use my blinker or hazards. Is there a separate flasher relay just for the front signals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 18, 1:49 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: Turn signal issues

IIRC there is only one flasher. Turn signal/ parking lights are.a different fixture than marker lights. How did you confirm you are not getting voltage? Do the parking lights work?
dragracerbrad likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 18, 2:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

The first question to ask is what happened to cause this problem. What happened/what did you change? That may give you a clue where to look for damage etc.

There's one flasher for the 4 Ways and a seperate flasher for the turn signals: since you have rear signals and rear 4 Ways your flashers are good. The Parking Lights/Head Lights are a seperate circuit from the turn signals/4 Way flashers.

It's unlikely that both front bulbs' turn signal filiments are burned out, but that's also the first thing to eliminate (try swapping bulbs with the rear bulbs).

Next, crawl under the front bumper and unplug the plug for one of the lamps. Use an electrical tester to check for current at the plug. If there's no current for the turn signals/4 Ways at that location you'll need to pull the steering wheel and start testing there.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 18, 3:39 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

What I would do is first of all make sure I have a good ground for the black lead of the volt meter (or test light) by touching the other lead on the battery's B +

Remove the bulb and test the two little buttons down inside the socket, the one for the parking light element should be hot with the headlight switch is pulled out to the first click, the other one is for the turn signal element and should be hot (flashing) when that side's turn signal is on.

If both side test okay, I use a piece of flexible light gauge wire, strip a couple of inches from one end and wrap/twist it around the base of the bulb just below the glass and put the bulb in, hold the other end of the wire to a known good ground and if the bulb lights, a bad ground to the socket is the problem. (which was the problem of both my parking lights in my 69)

If one or both of the little buttons down in the socket is not hot on the previous test, trace that wire back until you find out where it's hot and where it's not hot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 18, 8:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kev

Park lights are one filament and turn are another that is brighter. As I recall it's an 1157 bulb which is 2 lights in one bulb if the last sentence was unclear. Asian replacement sockets are crap so if they're new, there's a possible issue.
I'd measure voltage to the contacts in the socket as mentioned above to the socket shell with the signal flashing as mentioned above.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 18, 8:37 AM Thread Starter
Brad

I did test the socket with the bulb removed and I had no voltage when the turn signal and hazards were on. I did test both of the bulbs and they are both working on both filaments. I guess I will trace back the ground wire and if no luck, I'll have to get into the steering column. Thanks everyone for the advise!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 18, 11:11 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Before you "get into the steering column" check power at the column connector blue wires.
The parking light filament wiring is not in the column, only the turn signal filament wiring is there so sounds like the problem is elswhere.

https://macc.chevelles.net/images/69diagram_color.jpg

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 18, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracerbrad View Post
Can anyone help me with a front turn signal issue? I have a 69 Chevelle Malibu and the front turn signals will not work. I am not getting any volts to the socket when my turn signals or hazards are on; both of my rear signals do work. The front markers will light up when I have the running lights or lights on, but they will not signal when I try to use my blinker or hazards. Is there a separate flasher relay just for the front signals?
Can you add and let us know, do the lights in the dash for the turn signals work ?. This might help with the direction to take with troubleshooting.

If the lights in the dash for the turn signals do not work as well as the front end lights, then it may be an issue with the turn signal switch and it's connections BUT if the indash turn signal lights work but just not the front end lights, then it might be from the bulkhead connector out to and through the lights on the front end and then to a ground.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 2:16 PM Thread Starter
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
Can you add and let us know, do the lights in the dash for the turn signals work ?. This might help with the direction to take with troubleshooting.

If the lights in the dash for the turn signals do not work as well as the front end lights, then it may be an issue with the turn signal switch and it's connections BUT if the indash turn signal lights work but just not the front end lights, then it might be from the bulkhead connector out to and through the lights on the front end and then to a ground.

Jim
The green turn lights in the dash do work as well as the rear turn signals. The only thing not working is the front marker lights when the turn signal or hazards are on. The marker lights do work when the lights are on and the bulbs are good in both filaments.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 2:29 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Marker lights are on the side of the fenders, I thought you were talking about the turn signal lights in the parking lights in front.

Did you check for power at the two blue wires in the column connector?

How about inside the bulkhead connector?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 2:37 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

If rear turns and dash indications are working then that means the components in the steering column and the flasher are good. If the front turn signals do not work and the front bulbs are good (should be confirmed with an ohm meter) then the most likely issue is the wiring to these fixtures or the ground wiring from those fixtures. Only other possibility is the fixtures themselves.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 10:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kev

So if you pull the switch out so the park and tail lights are on, then turn on the signals, the park lights go out in front? That would be a ground issue, I suspect.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Marker lights are on the side of the fenders, I thought you were talking about the turn signal lights in the parking lights in front.

Did you check for power at the two blue wires in the column connector?

How about inside the bulkhead connector?
Sorry, I didn't mean marker lights; I am talking about the front turn signal lights. I have not checked the column yet or the bulkhead connector; that is my next avenue. Thanks.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sc View Post
So if you pull the switch out so the park and tail lights are on, then turn on the signals, the park lights go out in front? That would be a ground issue, I suspect.
If I pull the switch out and the front park lights are on; then I activate the turn signal, the rear lights flash and the front lights stay on with no flashing.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 18, 1:08 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

So, the parking lights work then and it's just the front turn signals/front hazard lights that do not work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 384 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.