AM Radio Installation - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotwire

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 18, 2:51 PM Thread Starter
David

Garage
AM Radio Installation

I am in the process of trying to install my refurbished AM Delco radio but not sure what I need as far as wiring to get it installed. I sent if off to TonyMac Crutchfield (Wonderbarman) to have it checked out a little over two years ago. I am finally working on getting it installed, but not sure how to get it hooked up. I have the front speaker to install and that is not a problem. I am going to install two new speakers in the rear of the car, but not sure how to get them hooked up or even where to hook them up to the radio. Where would I hook them up? Do I need a special connector such as the fader control wiring harness? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 8:02 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Re: AM Radio Installation

Could you contact TonyMac for a wiring diagram?

Since it's an AM radio you don't have to worry about stereo, you could hook the speakers in series so it doesn't put a large load on the amplifier circuit.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 3:49 PM Thread Starter
David

Garage
Thumbs up Re: AM Radio Installation

Hotwire,
Thanks for the reply. I thought about and have done that. I emailed him about a week ago and haven't heard back from him. So I did another search for him and found his obituary. So getting any information from him will be out of the question. I had him add a Line In, Line Out to the radio so I could add the other speakers in the rear. But I have another wire coming out of the radio (white wire) (photo attached) that I think will go to the amp remote power tap to power up the amp when you turn the radio on, but not sure. As far as hooking up speakers, that is one thought. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevelle Radio.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	569946  

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 4:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm67ss View Post
I had him add a Line In, Line Out to the radio so I could add the other speakers in the rear. But I have another wire coming out of the radio (white wire) (photo attached) that I think will go to the amp remote power tap to power up the amp when you turn the radio on, but not sure. As far as hooking up speakers, that is one thought. Thanks.
With an unknown white wire you could hook up a volt meter to see if you have any power out of it when the radio is turned on and then removed when the radio is off and if so, then this should be to turn on an amplifier (connected to the remote turn on terminal of the amplifier).

With you having line out, then get a 2 channel amplifier and wire the input of it to the line outs of the radio and then wire just the rear speakers to the amplifier and run the power of the radio to the dash speaker like how it would have been originally.

An unknown you also have is you do not know how much output signal you have on the line out and hopefully it's a decent amount.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 5:06 PM Thread Starter
David

Garage

Jim,
Let me first say "Thanks" for the reply and info! Now for me actually doing what you suggested, will be the real test. I understand (sort of) what you are saying. My other thought was to try and do an ohm check on that white wire to see if the ohms changed when you turned the power switch of the radio on and off. Attached is a schematic for the amp that I bought from Rockford Fosgate for installation. It shows two line outs from the source to the amp circled in "Red". So what do I do with the second since I only have one? My assumption is nothing, just hook into one or the other on the amp. So from what you are saying (and what I am understanding), is to just go from the radio "Line Out" to the amp and then to the "new" rear speakers and just hook the radio directly up to the front speaker as it came originally. I also have a few guys at work, that I work with (Instrument and Controls) and I think that I am going to get one of them to assist me some if he will with trying to figure some of this detailed stuff out. He is very control savvy. Me, well I do pretty good mechanically and some electrically. But when it comes to detailed stuff like this, I am almost as dumb (almost) as a box of rocks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rockford Fosgate Amp.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	569950  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rockford Fosgate Amp.pdf (48.4 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 5:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm67ss View Post
Jim,
Let me first say "Thanks" for the reply and info! Now for me actually doing what you suggested, will be the real test. I understand (sort of) what you are saying. My other thought was to try and do an ohm check on that white wire to see if the ohms changed when you turned the power switch of the radio on and off. Attached is a schematic for the amp that I bought from Rockford Fosgate for installation. It shows two line outs from the source to the amp circled in "Red". So what do I do with the second since I only have one? My assumption is nothing, just hook into one or the other on the amp. So from what you are saying (and what I am understanding), is to just go from the radio "Line Out" to the amp and then to the "new" rear speakers and just hook the radio directly up to the front speaker as it came originally. I also have a few guys at work, that I work with (Instrument and Controls) and I think that I am going to get one of them to assist me some if he will with trying to figure some of this detailed stuff out. He is very control savvy. Me, well I do pretty good mechanically and some electrically. But when it comes to detailed stuff like this, I am almost as dumb (almost) as a box of rocks.
I can see on the one black wire a label and cannot read it but what does that one say as well as any other labeling on wires ?.

When you say you want to try an ohm check on that white wire, what are you thinking you need to see and then being an ohm check, where would the other test lead be on the ohm meter for this testing ?.

Since the radio probably only has a mono output (single audio output) and the amplifier has two, all you do is split the signal from the radio to where then you now have two signals that would to go into the two inputs on the amplifier. Depending on how the line out is terminated on your radio, if it is an RCA style connector, you can buy a simply "Y" cord/adaptor to split this signal off of the radio. I'm wondering what I can see on those black wires if he used 1/8" jacks and if so, they do sell 1/8" to RCA adaptors to where it would be more of a plug and play for you to wire things up.

We are all born without a whole lot of knowledge and there is nothing wrong with asking questions. With electrical you just want to do things properly so that one does not let the magical smoke out of a radio, speaker, or any wiring.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 5:53 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

You're not too far away from me (Summerfield), I could probably help get everything figured out if you wanted a second set of eyes on it. I'm not the smartest around but know my way around wiring better than most and have done more stereo installs than I care to remember.

If you're curious check out page 9/10/11 of my thread if you need reference.
b&b's69 likes this.

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 7:03 PM Thread Starter
David

Garage

Wires are labeled (1) "Line In" and (1) "Line Out" with the white wire being a mystery as of yet. The line out will accept a set of head phones and measures 1/8". I was thinking that I might be able to do that (split the "Line Out", but wasn't really sure. I am pretty good at figuring things out and definitely want to get it right the first time especially with electronics. I really don't want to see any smoke when it comes to that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Line Out 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	569952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Line Out 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	569954  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 18, 7:06 PM Thread Starter
David

Garage

Jeff,
I appreciated the offer. I will definitely keep you posted. With my upcoming work schedule, it's going to be a few weeks before I can do a whole lot, including getting the radio installed.

David
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 18, 7:39 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

No problem, I'm assuming it's a mono plug he's installed?

But if you're to that point, why even run sound through the radio when you can get stereo to the amp from an ipod, phone, etc? Going through the radio could introduce alternator whine or static to the sound. You can get a cable with stereo 1/8 jack to plug into your phone, etc, that goes to stereo RCA that'll plug right into the amp. You'd get stereo sound without having to use the AM radio at all.

If you want to continue w/ the radio setup;

You'd need something like this to plug into the radio to convert it 1/8" jack to RCA:

Then a splitter to get both channels of the amp working:

*Jeff*

LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 18, 9:15 AM Thread Starter
David

Garage

My assumption is that it's a mono plug, but not really sure. With the line in I have a way to get ipod, phone or whatever else plugged up with the correct cord/plug. Those were the same similar plugs that I was researching last evening that I will most definitely need to hook up the line out to the amp. Were getting there! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 367 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.