1968 Chevelle Ignition Wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By 68blkchev
  • 2 Post By Ark68SS
  • 3 Post By Jim Streib

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 18, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1968 Chevelle Ignition Wiring

I'm working on a 1968 Chevelle and trying to sort out a few wires that the previous owner had cut on the pigtail harness going to the ignition switch. The black wire on the ignition switch which I believe should be ground was cut midway on the harness and I'm not exactly sure where that runs to? According to a wiring schematics I found online, it runs to somewhere by or to the driver side door jamb and warning switch?

Also, there is suppose to be a green wire that runs from the water temp switch to the ignition switch and then from there another green wire runs to the water temp lamp on the dash but those have been cut and removed from the pigtail connector. Where do the two green wires connect to on the ignition switch? Is it suppose to be the Key - on the switch? There is also a pink wire connected to the water temp lamp which I believe provides power to the lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 18, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: 1968 Chevelle Ignition Wiring

Here is a diagram for a 69, very similar and easier to understand.

http://www.replicasuper.com/wp-conte...nd-Sitting.jpg

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 18, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/27-e...g-diagram.html
this link may have the diagram that you are asking about on elcaminocentral....

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you for the links to the wiring schematics. I've looked at both of them but they don't really show the exact positions that the wires go to on the ignition switch and I can't seem to find a picture of the pigtail. Does the two green wires that run from the water temp and temp lamp suppose to be connected to the KEY - on the switch? and the GND suppose to be a black wire grounded to the driver side door switch?

According to the wiring schematics, the green wire from the water temp switch and the green wire from the temp lamp connect together in one of the spots on the ignition switch but don't know which one it should connect to?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0618181016.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	569025
VinceS427bb likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 12:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

Chevelle Tech - Search Results for 68 ignition switch wiring
try seeing these posts for your answer
seems like i read something about your question,
sorry i domt recall which though...

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 1:30 AM
Team Member
Steamy

Wink Re: 1968 Chevelle Ignition Wiring

Does this help?
BillL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash removal 061.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	569033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash removal 062.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	569041  
VinceS427bb and 68blkchev like this.

If you keep on livin', you're gonna get old.
Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Good livin' will speed it up, but it's worth it.

My Showroom
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh...0/ppuser/15214
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech Team

Here is some info I have for the ignition switch for my 68 Chevy II Nova:

The backside of the ignition switch:

How I think the ignition switch works (and I would confirm with some tests with a meter) is the switch needs to be grounded so that when the key is turned to the crank position, the green wires connects to ground and then turns on the temp light in the dash serving as a self test to know the dash light works.

Another two connections on the key switch are for the key buzzer circuit and one terminal of the ignition switch goes to the horn relay/key buzzer and the other terminal goes to the secondary terminal of the driver's door pin switch. The driver's door pin switch should have two terminals on it with one acting as the switch for the dome light and the other terminal acting as the switch for the key buzzer circuit.

Basically the ignition switch has three different and separate circuits.

One circuit connects or disconnects power from the battery to either the accessory circuit on the car, or to the ignition circuit on the car, or to the starter solenoid circuit on the car.

The second portion of the switch connects the green wires to the casing of the switch which needs to be grounded to the car so that when the key is in the crank position, the temp light is getting power from the fuse block and now with the ground side of the temp light being grounded in that key position, the light should come on verifying it's operation.

The third portion of the switch has contact points that if the key is fully inserted and the key is in the off position AND the driver's door is opened, the switch is closed and the underhood buzzer portion of the horn relay sounds.

Jim
VinceS427bb, pnugene and 68blkchev like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 3:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
Here is some info I have for the ignition switch for my 68 Chevy II Nova:

The backside of the ignition switch:

How I think the ignition switch works (and I would confirm with some tests with a meter) is the switch needs to be grounded so that when the key is turned to the crank position, the green wires connects to ground and then turns on the temp light in the dash serving as a self test to know the dash light works.

Another two connections on the key switch are for the key buzzer circuit and one terminal of the ignition switch goes to the horn relay/key buzzer and the other terminal goes to the secondary terminal of the driver's door pin switch. The driver's door pin switch should have two terminals on it with one acting as the switch for the dome light and the other terminal acting as the switch for the key buzzer circuit.

Basically the ignition switch has three different and separate circuits.

One circuit connects or disconnects power from the battery to either the accessory circuit on the car, or to the ignition circuit on the car, or to the starter solenoid circuit on the car.

The second portion of the switch connects the green wires to the casing of the switch which needs to be grounded to the car so that when the key is in the crank position, the temp light is getting power from the fuse block and now with the ground side of the temp light being grounded in that key position, the light should come on verifying it's operation.

The third portion of the switch has contact points that if the key is fully inserted and the key is in the off position AND the driver's door is opened, the switch is closed and the underhood buzzer portion of the horn relay sounds.

Jim
Great illustration and description, Jim. You guys never cease to amaze me how much accumulated knowledge is available here. Hat's off to you!

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in