Guess the headlight Problem - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigOiBoy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 18, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Pete

Guess the headlight Problem

The other night, I was driving my 70-1' around. I'm a 150 miles into testing out the newly rebuilt 4l60E with a vacuum modulator.(long post for another day)
It was still light out when I left, but I turn the headlights on anyway. No problem, then after about 20 miles, I turn around for the return trip, and its starting to get dark out. I'm noticing something odd with the dash lights pulsing. Eventual I notice that i do not have any headlights. I try the High beams. They work fine and no pulsing. I pull over, jiggle some wires, no help.
Drove home with the high-beams on.

I have the Front clip of a 70' (4 lights), the rest of the car is a 71'.
I've had a relay harness for years.
CS130D 105Amp LS Alternator
Battery is 3 months old

I investigated further last night. With just the ignition On, when I turn on the headlights, all the running lights are on, but the headlights are not. I can see a slight pulsing from the front marker lights. But the big tell, there is a very slight "clicking" sound. I trace that back to the light switch itself, and you can feel the clicks while holding the light switch knob.
I disconnected the relay harness, still the same clicking.

Picked up a new Light switch and floor dimmer switch last-night. ($24)
Going to Try the headlight switch first. I'm guessing the relay built into the switch died after 47 years.

Any thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LS Swap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 18, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Guess the headlight Problem

Its not a relay, its a automatic reseting circuit breaker.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 18, 12:17 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

If the high beams are fine then it is probably not the switch. Any chance one of your relays has failed ? Easy enough to swap them if it is the same type kit I have on my Wife's Rivera.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 18, 4:53 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
If the high beams are fine then it is probably not the switch. Any chance one of your relays has failed ? .
I Switched the 2 relays position, no change.
I took out both relays, and both fuses, and disconnected the relay harness from the original Lamp plug.
Same clicking.

Today-
I Replaced the Old Light switch.- Same problem.
I Replaced the Old Floor Dimmer switch. -Same problem.

Look how hot the original switch gets with in a minute of pulling it on.
[IMG][/IMG]

LS Swap

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 18, 5:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

The rheostat for the dash lighting will get hot. I'm assuming your headlight switch is no longer carrying the brunt of the load. Its basically supplying a signal voltage through the dimmer and depending on which position the floor switch is in, is dependent on which relay is firing. So the only load on the circuit is the relay coil. If your low beam only is causing the breaker in the Headlight switch to trip, then you may have a problem with the with the wiring from the dimmer switch to the relay.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 18, 8:36 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Pete

Fixed.
Sort of.
I started digging deeper, and under the LS truck fuse box is the original headlight bulb plug, laying there unused as it has been for years.
Noticed it was warm.
[IMG][/IMG]

It seems to be grounding out on something. Might be pinched on the corner of the metal inner wheel well. Moved it around and no more clicking from the headlight switch.
Plugged the relay harness back in and we have light!
Guess wiring clean up is now top of the To Do list.

LS Swap

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 6:29 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Pete

Spent a few hours today cleaning up some of the wiring. Found the problem, the original wire loom that feeds the old headlight plugs,that goes across the rad support was getting pinched between inner corner of rad support and radiator. I must have shoved it out of the way when I put the trans cooler in and didn't notice it was getting crushed when i bolt the rad back down.
Fun times.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

LS Swap

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 420 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.