1966 Chevelle Knee Knocker Tach - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 18, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Unhappy 1966 Chevelle Knee Knocker Tach

Who makes a Good Knee Knocker Tach besides GM ?
I just fired up up my 1966 Chevelle and the Knee Knocker Tach I purchased from Ground-Up lasted about 20 minutes in to the Break-in of the engine it was the 0-6000 ? Now sits a 2000 rpm and doesn't move. Is this the proper place to Post or should it be under Engine ? Thanks Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 18, 1:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: 1966 Chevelle Knee Knocker Tach

If you haven't had the tach too long I'd be calling GU and get another 1, I've had hit & miss luck with them on that and shipping back was on me 99% of the time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 18, 8:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi Thanks for the response unfortunately I purchase stuff when I have extra money ! So I have been sitting on the Tach for a couple of years while restoring my Car. So it's over a year old, even though it only lasted 20 minutes being used . Keith B purchased his Tach at Ausleys and has been using it for 10 years, So I guess I will try them next ?
I wish I could purchase an extended warranty ! LOL what a waste of money

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 18, 8:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Did you double check the connections? still have power to the tach? Just thinking out loud, I'd make sure it was the tach before ordering another one...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yes I checked everything ground and lead wire to coil wire received my new Tach 5600 rpm for the 360hp. I did not remove the housing from the Dash !
They looked to be very similar/identical so I just swapped out internal Tach 1-screw back side wired up and its working so far so good ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech Team

I suggest contacting one of the people on this site that rebuild those tachs, and have a modern day tach movement installed. This way, it will work, and still look period correct. Just a suggestion.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 18, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Exclamation Re: 1966 Chevelle Knee Knocker Tach

Wow Thant's a great idea I didn't know that they can be repaired / restored ? Do you have any info on who I could contact ?
Thanks Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 446 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.