66 volt, regulator capacitor and wires - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 9:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
john

66 volt, regulator capacitor and wires

I got a new voltage regulator and it didn't come with the capacitor and the two wires. Where could i get them from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	555185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	555193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	555201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	555209  

Last edited by johnny5; May 18th, 18 at 9:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 66 volt, regulator capacitor and wires

I believe the end of the capacitor has a number on it like maybe 0.5 and this number is the capacitance value.

You might then look at the parts you need from this place below and see if it matches up to what you have:

1967 1968 1969 Camaro & Firebird Radio Capacitor Mounts On Voltage Regulator GM# 1964086 - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration

1967 1968 1969 Camaro & Firebird Voltage Regulator Ground Wire - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 4:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

I got a capacitor from Rockauto.com.
It was for my 67 Cougar, but it's the same capacitor.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 7:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
john

That one i got at autozone.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 8:26 AM
Team Member
johnny

Garage

any reason you did not get the electronic voltage regulator?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 9:42 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Unless this is a concours restoration, you don't need the ground wire attached to the voltage regulator frame. That came into play on cars that originally came with rubber mounts on the voltage regulator that dampened vibrations. Since rubber doesn't conduct, and the mounting frame of the regulator needed a ground connection, the wire was a necessity. Simply attach the voltage regulator directly to the radiator support sheet metal. The capacitor is to suppress "hash" that would be heard on the radio, especially on the AM band.

I will agree with the above...why did you choose to go with a mechanical regulator? The modern units are not built properly compared to the originals and can cause a lot of grief. Most people take a modern solid state regulator like the Wells/Duralast VR-715 available at AutoZone, carefully remove the cover and install the original Delco-Remy cover in its place. If you do this, you must transfer the gasket from the original regulator or smear dielectric grease between the cover and base to prevent moisture from getting inside the regulator.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
john

Here's the numbers off the old capacitor 1964086 DR 5MF, 12V N 1119 , 7A 515. Here's a couple pictures of the new one it looks the same just doesn't have the wires and capacitor on it. They look the same thought just missing the wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	555953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	555961  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 6:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

The numbers probably mean 12v rated [ working voltage ], 0.5 microfarad. A fairly common capacitor. If you want to hide the cap, you could buy a polyester, polycarbonate or Mylar capacitor from an electronics store & wire it in under the cover. Use neutral cure silicon to to hold it in place, make sure it does not obstruct contact operation.
They are not polarity sensitive. Look at the old VR to see where the wires go.
You may not be able to get 0.5, but 0.47 is ok.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 2:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
john

I went and ordered the 1964086 DR 5MF along with the ground wire from the Camaro site. They look the same i hope they work.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 9:39 PM
rkd
Senior Tech Team
Ron

There is or used to be a capacitor near or connected to the voltage regulator?

Iirc there was one tied to the points, never heard of one on the voltage regulator.

My 66 seemed to have a harness and connector that just plugged into a standard autozone replacement regulator, I think. Have to look in the manual later on.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Why not just reuse the ground wire? You could have also cleaned up reused the capacitor.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 1:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
john

Both are in bad shape that's why i don't want to re-use the oll ones.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 2:09 PM
Tech Team
Patrick

I wonder if this voltage regulator is really necessary when switching to a new alternator, like the Delco 10si which is internally regulated. I did that last year, plugged off the connector to the external Voltage Regulator we see here in these pictures and everything is working as before, voltage is stable too, battery charging etc.

Is there a drawback when getting rid of it completely, something I donīt see here?

I donīt want to hijack this thread, if you want me to open a new one I will. It just seems a lot of knowledgeable people came in here with a lot of background information about those external voltage regulators :-)

64 El Camino, 454/TH350/3.36-one-tire-will-die-first-style-rear
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 2:42 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJoe View Post
I wonder if this voltage regulator is really necessary when switching to a new alternator, like the Delco 10si which is internally regulated. I did that last year, plugged off the connector to the external Voltage Regulator we see here in these pictures and everything is working as before, voltage is stable too, battery charging etc.

Is there a drawback when getting rid of it completely, something I donīt see here?

I donīt want to hijack this thread, if you want me to open a new one I will. It just seems a lot of knowledgeable people came in here with a lot of background information about those external voltage regulators :-)
Hey, a good discussion is always helpful.

I "think" the original poster is keeping his old style 1966 externally regulated alternator which requires the external regulator. If he were to change out the old style externally regulated alternator for one that has the internal regulator then the external regulator would either get abandoned or at least unplugged and if needed a jumper plug plugged into the old 4 wire connector to allow a new alternator to get the proper signals for it to work as well as maintaining operation of the original GEN light in the dash.

I will add too, that sometimes you can clean up and reuse things but I have seen a bunch of capacitors replaced through the years due to them drying out internally either due to age and/or being close to excessive heat. When this happens then do not do what they were originally designed to do.

Jim
FarmerJoe likes this.

Always working on something:

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 3:40 PM
Tech Team
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
[...]If he were to change out the old style externally regulated alternator for one that has the internal regulator then the external regulator would either get abandoned or at least unplugged and if needed a jumper plug plugged into the old 4 wire connector to allow a new alternator to get the proper signals for it to work as well as maintaining operation of the original GEN light in the dash.
[...]
Jim, thank you very much! Now things start to clear up a bit :-) Only 2 days ago I ran across a Alternator conversion kit for Si Alternators and I was not sure what the intended use was. It was this one over here: https://www.ss396.com/el-camino/27555.html. But now it makes sense :-)

And for johnny5, maybe this part I found in the same shop may have been useful if I had found it a day ago :-) https://www.ss396.com/el-camino/GRC-12834.html

64 El Camino, 454/TH350/3.36-one-tire-will-die-first-style-rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 424 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.