66 volt, regulator capacitor and wires - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 18, 4:32 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 66 volt, regulator capacitor and wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJoe View Post
Jim, thank you very much! Now things start to clear up a bit :-) Only 2 days ago I ran across a Alternator conversion kit for Si Alternators and I was not sure what the intended use was. It was this one over here: https://www.ss396.com/el-camino/27555.html. But now it makes sense :-)
I've linked a lot of others to that conversion plug and it works in the proper situation. Just like myself doing car audio since the 70's, I always like trying to use harness adaptors instead of chopping into a factory end.

One thing I do like about my old mechanical external regulator on my 68 is that is has some adjustabilty in that I can have the alternator outputting let's say 12V or up to the neighborhood of 18 volts. Not that I would want to run it at those extremes but on another car I have a 200A alternator with an electronic external regulator on it and there is an adjustment on it to where I can dial in exactly 14.4V right across the battery at its terminals in the trunk. I was doing this years ago with stereo competitions as they limited my class to 14.4 volts at the battery and I ran the voltage right to that number.

I will also add, on the old style mechanical external regulators like what is on my 68, one has to be careful of any adjustments on it. When I first got the car I remarked, WOW, the headlights are really bright, the dash lights are really bright but wondered why the radio didn't work and I found out later someone had adjusted the regulator and the alternator was putting out almost 18V. No wonder the lights were bright and the radio was fried.

Jim

Always working on something:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old May 24th, 18, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
john

Re: 66 volt, regulator capacitor and wires

I got the new capacitor and ground wire today alls good thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 452 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.