1971 Dash Harness... - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeoP

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
1971 Dash Harness...

Somewhere in the future, I am going to have to replace the dash harness in my 71. The fuse block is hanging loose - the only attachment point that may still work is the lower left screw, but it will not stay in the hole (I have tried to use a 'punch' to rework the hole, but it did not work).

So, I have been looking at different harnesses. American Autowire has one, but I believe that all of their harnesses use the newer ATO style fuses. Lectric Limited has an exact reproduction harness for the same price (glass fuses).

Has anyone here installed either of these?? If so, how much time should I allot for changing it out?? I have no problems with residential/commercial wiring, but automotive wiring has never been my thing. Both harnesses should plug directly in to everything else and the bulkhead should also work.

If anyone can give me some guidance on this, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 1971 Dash Harness...

You'll need to remove the dashboard from the car. Here are the steps: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-i...step-step.html

Where there are screws that screw into the plastic of the dash face, you'll find the plastic threads will pull out very easily. You'll think the screw is getting tight but then it'll keep turning.

Grounds are important. Any dash brackets where ground lugs are to go on need to be cleaned up shiny with a wire brush. I suggest you get some of those star-toothed grounding washers to help get a good ground.

The entire load of the windshield wiper motor and washer get it's ground through the dash wiper switch body. Make sure it's well grounded.

Get all new cluster bulbs, test them before installing. Check the ones in the AC/heater control.

Consider a new headlight switch. The dimmer rheostats can get iffy over the years.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 11:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

JMHO, I would go with the ATO fuse setup!
paul bell likes this.

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction
www.mdchevelleclub.com

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

Oh yeah, while you're in there, you'll probably find all the foam seals in the AC/heater ducting has evaporated. You'll spend time trying fixing them up.

If your car has AC, make sure the passenger lap vent that's attached to the dash under the glove box is attached to the bottom of the dash before you re-install the dash. It's a huge pain to install afterwards.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I appreciate the info, but I really need to know how much time to allot for the installation. This is my daily driver and I can't have it down longer than necessary.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 12:20 AM
Senior Tech Team

I'd say at least a day. Figure more for surprises.

How may I help you?
1999 Trans Am-500hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 399 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.