Windstar dual electric fan wiring... Relay sizes? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By paul bell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 4:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Windstar dual electric fan wiring... Relay sizes?

I wonder if someone who has gone through this already can help me out.
There are a zillion threads on wiring up electric fans and the windstar fans many with conflicting information or just different information, and I'm having a hard time finding the answers i'm looking for.

What size relays should one use for THIS setup?

I see threads where some people are running 30 or 40 amp relays, other threads people are advocating 70+ amp relays and solenoids, still others suggesting to run dual 30 amp relays in parallel... Not quite sure what to make of all this.

What kind of AMP draw do these specific fans actually need (I'm running them individually) and what does that equate to in real world Relay, fuse & wire sizing?

Thanks-
Ben

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 9:00 PM
Gold Member
Joe

Re: Windstar dual electric fan wiring... Relay sizes?

Don’t run relays in parallel.

I believe these fans draw about 30 amps when running. The start-up (in-rush) current will be much higher. Good relays have a good in-rush rating, but I personally wouldn’t bother with standard relays. I’d go heavy duty 75 or 80 amp relay for each fan for reliability.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
Don’t run relays in parallel.

I believe these fans draw about 30 amps when running. The start-up (in-rush) current will be much higher. Good relays have a good in-rush rating, but I personally wouldn’t bother with standard relays. I’d go heavy duty 75 or 80 amp relay for each fan for reliability.
Would something like this work well?

Ben R.

-

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 1:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

I found a thread on these Windstar fans on a diesel forum where the guy tested fuses small to large seeing which one didn't blow. Looks like 25 amps held.

Most Bosch style relays are good to 30 amps, the Panasonic versions , 40 amps.

My Toyota fans draw a solid 20 amps each and I've never blown a 25 amp fuse-or a 30 amp Bosch relay.

My setup runs the fans in series at half speed and when things heat up, they change to independent at full speed.

A favorite tool of mine is a KD Tools 2423 current meter. Two slots on the back, just lay the wire in the slot and the amps show. 75 & 600 amp scales. https://www.ebay.com/itm/23276806652...item36320ed3dc

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 8:29 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Best thing to do is find the wiring diagram for the vehicle the fans came out of, you'll have factory engineering advice on what to run.

I did a quick google, all I could find was this: https://soltani.co/upload/2000-ford-...mp-diagram.jpg

Looks like 50 amps fuse to run both fans for an 01 Windstar.

I'm running 2002 Camaro fans on my chevelle, they fit really nice and work well. Have them wired up like factory (also like how Paul's is wired).

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 9:07 AM
Senior Tech Team

Nice wiring diagram Jeff.

And those 4th gen F-body are very versatile.

I like the GM way of wiring them. The load is split between two smaller fuses, wires and relays and there's no dropping resistor. The Ford way uses a 50 amp fuse and I'm sure a pretty thick feed wire. I actually drew out and used the series/parallel relay setup in the 80's, before GM used it.

With the GM method, unless things really heat up, the fans stay in low speed (running in series with fans at half speed) with minimal current load.

Folks, don't forget an at least 100 amp alternator when using electric fans.
Hotwire likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 10:16 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
With the GM method, unless things really heat up, the fans stay in low speed (running in series with fans at half speed) with minimal current load.

Folks, don't forget an at least 100 amp alternator when using electric fans.
Yessir, in series you can hardly hear them and they're pushing a decent amount of air through.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 16th, 18, 6:04 AM
Senior Tech Team
Geoff

Find out how much current the fans draw. You use a relay that is too small [ contacts too small for the current ], but you cannot use a relay that is too big.

In my opinion, you should use a relay that can switch 50% more current than the fan[s] draws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 427 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.