Custom Autosounds USA-740 - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By busterwivell

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 2:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Custom Autosounds USA-740

beyond frustrated, installed a Custom Autosounds USA-740 radio and the volume intermittently changes
1. tested both power wires and have 12 volts(voltmeter shows 14 to 13.7 when running at battery)
2. tested ground, good
3. called manufacturer they sent me a new volume shaft, installed and problem is still there
Only occurs when vehicle is moving and happens no matter what the source(CD, radio, bluetooth) is
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Red and White Of Course Go Terps
1967 SS Clone Convertible
454 BW ST10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 4:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage
Re: Custom Autosounds USA-740

Send the whole radio back. That's my idea. I mean seriously, what else could cause the issue besides something inside the radio?

Hook up an accurate voltage gauge directly to the power in. Then go for a cruise and when the issue occurs note the voltage. Maybe something is affecting the power in voltage.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 5:19 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

>>> Send the whole radio back.

yes, you're not responsible to fix their stuff. once you've verified constant voltage it's their problem.

That's one of the reasons I always buy this stuff on a credit card I've had for a long time. Chargeback is a wonderful thing.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 7:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage

i tried hooking up a power wire directly to the battery and went for a drive, same result.

454 BW ST10
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 7:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuks67 View Post
i tried hooking up a power wire directly to the battery and went for a drive, same result.
It's possible to have voltage variations at the battery. Do you have any high drain devices such as cooling fans? A/c? Are you just running the internal amp on the unit or are you running off line outs to external amps?

I still suggest a voltage meter hooked to the positive in lead and the negative lead to the head unit. Simply for accuracy. That way when you call the supplier he won't have any excuses. You will know for fact that the problem exists in the head unit and not the installation.

A test meter is about $5.00 at Harbor Freight if you don't have one.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 7:30 PM
Gold Member
Joe

It's a well known fact on this board, that Custom Auto Sounds is the absolute worst radio product you can install in your Chevelle. There have been gripes with their products for over 20 years.

-If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 18, 9:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertop View Post
It's a well known fact on this board, that Custom Auto Sounds is the absolute worst radio product you can install in your Chevelle.
If that's the case, then my Retro Sound model 1 is a close second! I hate it, not because it sounds bad but because it's definitely not "user friendly" at all. The different menus are complicated to access and it will only play the same tunes stored on my usb key over and over but I never was able to play not all of them.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 18, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

The lesson to be learned here (which many of us have learned the hard way) is that Custom Auto Sound radios are junk. I don't care what new model they come out with, they will never get another dollar of my money. Not only are their radios and accessories junk, the lack of quality is exceeded only by their lack of customer service.
JChilders likes this.

66 Malibu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 7:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Called Custom AutoSounds. Very nice guy, Kurt listened to me gripe. He gave me one more idea. Wonder what you guys think..he said it could be interference coming from tach, MSD ignition or MSD Atomic EFI unit. He read me a blog about this guy who had a similar "sounding" issue and it went away after he temporarily wrapped the tach wires with aluminum foil...I guess anything is possible??

454 BW ST10
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 7:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

That sounds like it's a real "GOOD" fix lol and should look great! Just kidding or was he just kidding?, when I was a kid we used to put foil on the rabbit ears on the TV...worked great, I re-read, it's a temporary fix?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by shovelrick; May 15th, 18 at 7:31 AM. Reason: added text
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 15th, 18, 8:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage

he said if that helped then I'd need to isolate out the wires causing the issue and re-route them away from the radio.

454 BW ST10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 518 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.