1966 Chevelle 4 speed wiring ID - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By David Bates

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

1966 Chevelle 4 speed wiring ID

Hello guys need some help with wires. Putting a new harness in and I have dark green and a lighter green and a purple and a purple with white strip see photos

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73ED152F-90EC-4AB4-855C-7D5F235EF6AC_1525797624751.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	552057  

Thanks KW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 1:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: 1966 Chevelle 4 speed wiring ID

IIRC, light and dark purple are for the neutral safety switch... But on a 4-speed, there is no NSS... Are you sure you have the correct harness? I don't recall seeing the Purple wires on my 4-speed harness (factory)...

You can always make a short jumper wire, and connect the dark purple to the light purple to complete the circuit (or even install a switch as an anti-theft device)...

Here are the wires, connected to a column-shift combo switch...

The green wires, Backup switch. These should be connected to a short harness with a large round grommet (3/4" to 1" diameter) that passes through the firewall for a 4-speed car ( floor shift 3-speed too, IIRC)...
Here's the harness...

Here's the approx location of the hole in the firewall. You can see the large grommet with the two terminals...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 1:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Did they use a Clutch Safety switch in 66? My 70 has a switch near the clutch pedal that I think has purple wires running to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-085S.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	552065  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 6:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Did they use a Clutch Safety switch in 66? My 70 has a switch near the clutch pedal that I think has purple wires running to it.
No clutch safety switch in 1966. The purple and purple w/white stripe get a jumper in that connector for 4-speed applications.
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

ythe harness is from H&M wiring, confired with them today, said its the right harness. they did tell me to use a 12g jump wire for the purple.....and the green for revers light...thanks

you guys rocks !!

Thanks KW
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 2:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDW66 View Post
ythe harness is from H&M wiring, confired with them today, said its the right harness. they did tell me to use a 12g jump wire for the purple.....and the green for revers light...thanks

you guys rocks !!
A "jumper" wire will work, but it is NOT correct...

The 4-speed harness does NOT have that connector, and does NOT require a jumper wire. (I have had several)

The harness for a 4-speed car has the two purple wires with individual, single-terminal connectors (one male and one female) that plug together...

basically the same functionality, but for $429+++ for a brand new dash harness, I'd expect it to be "correct". Or at least supply a 12 ga Purple jumper wire with the new harness... The connector on your harness is for a column-shift car...

Don't use a jumper for the reverse lights, or they'll be "on" all the time (when ignition on)...

If your aren't going for concours-correct, with a factory shifter, American Autowire makes a "lower" harness for the reverse lights (at the transmission) that is made to use a Hurst switch... The firewall plug (which is easily seen) is the same as the factory connector...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 8:58 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
A "jumper" wire will work, but it is NOT correct...

The 4-speed harness does NOT have that connector, and does NOT require a jumper wire. (I have had several)

The harness for a 4-speed car has the two purple wires with individual, single-terminal connectors (one male and one female) that plug together...

basically the same functionality, but for $429+++ for a brand new dash harness, I'd expect it to be "correct". Or at least supply a 12 ga Purple jumper wire with the new harness... The connector on your harness is for a column-shift car...
Contrary to what I posted above, this is correct!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1965ChevelleDashHarnessNSConnector_s.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	552329  

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 18, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Thanks for the input ill give them a call and ask for the correct harness.

Thanks KW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 432 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.