66 turn indicator switch - Guide or non-Guide? - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Mac

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 18, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
66 turn indicator switch - Guide or non-Guide?

in the parts book it shows for non tilt
guide
And non guide
turn indicator switch.
my 66 column has been bubba'd, someone looks like they got inside, pulled the wires and added some extra wires and hooked the blinkers and horn to 3 toggles switches.
So how do I tell which version I need for the car? the half moon connector is still under the dash if that helps. thanks. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler

Last edited by davewho1; Apr 4th, 18 at 11:27 PM. Reason: clarified title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

Re: 66 turn indicator switch - Guide or non-Guide?

Jim,
As you know, in 66, GM used two different turn signal switches on left hand drive non - tilt chevelles. The only way to determine which switch you need, without having the switch, is to examine the switch housing assembly (see photo below - item 10). GM used a unique housing assembly for each switch because the switch mounting pattern was unique to each switch. I don’t know where, or if, the part number appears, but you should be able to look easily with your switch removed. Good Luck !
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E9A43CDE-DACA-497F-9890-7E5831129D3A.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	541393  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 1:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

The half moon connector is the same for each switch...

Do you have any of the old switch/upper bearing retainer?

As mentioned, the metal housing on the upper column differs. The location of the 3 mounting screws differs, so they are not interchangeable, IIRC...

I checked with American Auto Wire website, but frankly, their pictures suck (too small to get a good detailed view), and they don't have a real description... They offer two different switches for non-tilt, and one mentions guide, but the other doesn't mention anything (there's no "except Guide" or "BPC", or anything... Great products, great customer service, but one of the worst websites I can recall...

They have a third option that has "US" at the end of the part number, but NO indication as to what it means (US made repro?)... None of the descriptions say where the parts were made...

I can try to take a picture of mine. IIRC, its the BPC version (not the Guide)...

Or you could order both, see which one fits, and return the other one... Summit has good prices, easy returns, and free shipping with over $99...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-00387115 $85.50

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-00911051 $45

Summit doesn't offer the "00911051US", but they should be able to order it if you want to go that route (AAW website says its $15 more than the 00911051)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 6:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Original switches were identified by color of the plastic as I recall. Orange or pale blue, I believe.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 18, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

looking in the gap by the steering wheel, I see part of the plastic that hopefully is what's left of the switch. when I get a chance, I'll pull the wheel and check it out. jim
LeoP likes this.

Jim

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 2:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

"Boyne" style switch >https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/PP00029/

"Guide" style switch >https://www.opgi.com/el-camino/PP000...SABEgKhC_D_BwE
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 3:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

corvairkid.com/ turn signal swap

To further cloud the situation, I recalled an article I read a few years ago on swapping a Boyne style switch to a Delco, because of both price and availability. The article was based on a 66 Corvair and a 67 Chevelle switch, but I believe it may be worth the read unless you are only interested in a 100% direct swap out with a like part.

Jon N.

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

BIGOT is a word used by people that can't use logical reasoning to prove that you are wrong when you don't agree with them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 3:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

dream66 (Cory) I compared a "66" switch housing that I have which uses the BPC switch and it looks identical to the one in your photo you state is for the "GUIDE" switch? The 66 AIM does list two different housing part #'s depending on switch brand.My 1969 parts book shows 66 ChevyII-66 Chevelle (exc.T.W.) Housing #5955586 (note 2) use with "Guide" switch. The AIM shows part#383688 Housing is used with switch #387115 which my parts book lists it 66 Chevy II-64-66 Chevelle exc. (T.W.) (cast"BPC") What puzzles me is my parts book does not show the #383688 ? WishI could figure out how to post pic's on this site.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 6:16 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

IIrc, you can buy new or repro switches of both kinds. I am on the second or third on my 66. I take the steering wheel off and look each time I need to buy one. So far I have not written that down in my notes. I guess by now I should be able to look at the old ones too.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 18, 6:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B View Post
dream66 (Cory) I compared a "66" switch housing that I have which uses the BPC switch and it looks identical to the one in your photo...
Yep. UR correct. My bad. I had the moderator remove my post. Sorry for the confusion.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I got to looming at the 2 pics of these switches. I noticed the wire colors are also different between the 2 switches. my harness colored wires are lime the cheaper one, take a chance and start with the cheap one first? looking in the column I'm not sure how much of the original switch is left. jim

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 491 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.