Dakota Digital dash wiring - Chevelle Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jim Streib
  • 1 Post By Philip

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Dakota Digital dash wiring

I am getting a VHX dash and planning my wiring. I'd rather not have to cut or splice into the OEM wires, so I am wondering if anyone makes a female harness that I could plug into the factory SS dash harness like below. If I am not mistaken this harness has the connections for turn signals, high beam, and maybe tach and voltage as well?

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 1:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Dakota Digital dash wiring

I have not seen a mating plug for that type of connector and what one could do, is remove each connector from the plastic housing leaving you with the original crimped on terminal end on the factory wire and then solder a new wire to the flat of the terminal. After that slide on some proper sized heat shrink tubing, shrink it down, and do the same to each other terminal end.

On the few cars I have worked on with that multipin connector I have gone back a few inches and cut the wires and then terminated them into something like a 10-12 pole plug that I can then have going into a mating plug with new wires to the new instrument panel.

Jim

Always working on something:

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 4:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

thanks Jim. I was thinking of removing the wire/original crimp from the housing and then inserting it into a different, more common housing.

Do you know if that connection will insert into a housing readily available?

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 5:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
thanks Jim. I was thinking of removing the wire/original crimp from the housing and then inserting it into a different, more common housing.

Do you know if that connection will insert into a housing readily available?
I don't think I've ever seen that terminal end used on anything else and I have been installing car audio, alarms, remote starts and a lot of other things in vehicles since the late 70's. That connector is just different as it slides into a rectangular hole in the speedometer cluster and before the plug gets pushed in, the flexible circuit board with the traces has to be in place.

It would a a bunch of work and probably not worth it but one could get a donor housing with the proper cutout for that plug, figure out a way to mate an electrical wire to a chopped up flexible circuit board but it would be a "rig" or "cluster ef" if you know what I mean.

I did do some looking an they do sell that plastic housing with the specialized terminal ends new to where one could cut the existing wires right off at the factory plug, do whatever with extending the wires, and then if later, buy the new end, crimp new specialized terminals on the wires and it would plug back into an original speedometer housing. Granted the wires would then be an inch or two shorter but there is probably enough slack in the harness to do that.

1967 1968 Camaro & Firebird Dash Cluster Harness Plug - 1967, 1968, 1969 Camaro Parts - NOS, Rare, Reproduction Camaro Parts for your Restoration

Jim
t.shepherd likes this.

Always working on something:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 7:23 PM
Administrator

Garage

Tach wire is separate from that harness. Just cut it off and rewire. If your intention is to save the entire harness find a sweep dash harness to use.
lucifershammer likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris

looks like cut and rewire will be the only reasonable option.

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 18, 3:33 PM

what is the part number to this connector and crimps?
thank you,
T.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 18, 3:35 PM

what is the part number for connector and crimps?
thank you,
T.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 18, 4:42 PM
Administrator

Garage

Click on the link in Jim's post, it will give your price and part number.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 443 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.