Made In Where ? - Chevelle Tech
2015 General Tech Forum from 2015

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mac

Made In Where ?

I was in the office at the refinery loading rack the other day and saw a new rigid 14 inch pipe wrench laying on the table, picked it up and the darn thing looks like it is sand cast, very rough finish, bet it is made in china although it does not say, but it does say rigid tool co. USA. bought several vice grip brand vice grip c-clamp style pliers last year at a steel supply company here, didn't look at them when I threw them in my cart, just got the "vice grips" and chucked them in there, got home and dumped them out and started taking them off the card they came on, then noticed very rough sand cast finish, and sure enough "made in china" rite there on the side of the vice grip brand vice grips, about the same time as I hurled them across the shop and was cussin' a line of obscenities that would have made Richard Pryor blush with embarrassment, my wife walked in, stood there lookin at me for a second and says, " china"?, (she knows me pretty well) and I say ********* yes, and go and pick them up and put them in my welding bucket.
about a month ago we decide to purchase a pipe bender so we can get started on cage for race car, look at harbor freight, northern tool and the like, but decided to purchase a Ridgid, (You know, the made in USA tool maker) was over $1000.00 and is manual hydrolic (no motor), WRONG, came in a nice wooden box and clearly said Made In China, , I'm gonna stop now cause yall know what I'm thinkin'.

1970 Chevelle SS full weight street car (4030lbs)
498-11.5:1 (Mac built) 91 pump gas+
Strauby sissy roller -
brodix-rr rec 294
weiand stelth- Pro Systems 1000
turbo 400 10" 3200 Coan 4.10 12 bolt
Best Passes on28-10.5-15 slicks and 110
1.56-6.97-99.83
1.6194-11.1666-120.94

And a drag [email protected]

If it wasn't dangerous, it wouldn't be fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terrence

Re: Made In Where ?

sorry to say I put as much stock in the "Made in the USA" labels as I do in the "certified organic" ones.
Bow_Tied likes this.

69 Chevelle Convert
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Big Al

I would have never assumed Rigid tools are all made in the USA, not for one second. I don't think any large scale tool corporation could stay in business without some offshore manufacturing.

1968 Impala Turbo 6.0 798 RWHP

72' 5 speed LY6 Malibu-Sold

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

I think with the TPP agreement the made in the USA labels is going to get even more watered down. Something about how a cars domestic content is going to be accounted lik the govt accounts money. Even though its not actually made here they can still count it as made here or something sort of nonsense. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

As many know, I am in the Machine Shop Business, general Job Shop, specializing in Marine Repair and New Construction.

A few years ago, we won the bid for the underwater running gear on two new Ferries for Aransas Pass. These were part of the TARP program, and the contracts specified.......products and materials to be of US origin when possible.

Have you ever tried to by a piece steel manufactured here? Nuts? Bolts? Just about anything.

We had to get a variance on 80 % of everything we did.

Most of the steel we use is manufactured in Eastern Europe. When the Soviet Union collapsed, all of those steel mills didn't stop making steel, they just started making it for everyone else.

It's the same with non ferrous metals, bronze, brass, aluminum. None of it is made here.

For you Machinist. The name Cincinatti Milicron conjures up visions of a great American Machine Tool Manufacture. Only if there is a province in India named America.

South Bend? One of the old stallworths of American Machine Tools. Ha. Try Brazil.

The fact is, not much of anything is manufactured here any more. Sure, "assembled" here......probably by robots.

"Sir, do you want fries with that burger"?

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

When I was a Toolmaker I was amazed at how many different company's made end mills.
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

had a similar wake up call when, a few years ago, I purchased Dodge and Chevy parts from a dealer and were OEM labeled but made in china. what's a consumer to do when U.S. companies sellout/outsource for higher profits?
post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
As many know, I am in the Machine Shop Business, general Job Shop, specializing in Marine Repair and New Construction.

A few years ago, we won the bid for the underwater running gear on two new Ferries for Aransas Pass. These were part of the TARP program, and the contracts specified.......products and materials to be of US origin when possible.

Have you ever tried to by a piece steel manufactured here? Nuts? Bolts? Just about anything.

We had to get a variance on 80 % of everything we did.

Most of the steel we use is manufactured in Eastern Europe. When the Soviet Union collapsed, all of those steel mills didn't stop making steel, they just started making it for everyone else.

It's the same with non ferrous metals, bronze, brass, aluminum. None of it is made here.

For you Machinist. The name Cincinatti Milicron conjures up visions of a great American Machine Tool Manufacture. Only if there is a province in India named America.

South Bend? One of the old stallworths of American Machine Tools. Ha. Try Brazil.

The fact is, not much of anything is manufactured here any more. Sure, "assembled" here......probably by robots.

"Sir, do you want fries with that burger"?
There should be a comprehensive list of all products country of origin regardless of the name on the product and a "sticky" in TC.
There is a great ruse going on in all industries to give the "appearance" of made in USA. Thanks for providing this information.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 12:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Rigid Tools has a manufacturing facility in Elyria, OH. I had some "Lifetime" batteries exchanged there. They weren't excited to help me. Nor do they stand behind them anymore. They did have the best "G" rated calendar and it was highly coveted around here. Ain't seen one in years. The guy that headed maintenance was friendly and gave me an air powered caulk to promo for doing a windshield for the company. Where has good old American manufacturing gone???

Steve O.
post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 12:30 PM
Tech Team
Richard

All of our problems with offshore junk and the disappearance of American jobs can be traced back to the American voter. They just keep voting for the same lunatics time after time, the same lunatics who made it possible for China to export their junk to this country and kill American jobs. You can't blame American manufacturers for jumping on the China bandwagon, they have to show a profit on the bottom line to be competitive in business and to placate their shareholders.

The problems with Congress can be explained with this little story of the 5 Monkeys. It is unclear if this experiment actually happened or not, but again, it explains why nothing gets done that would benefit Americans as a whole....

The human behavior of not challenging assumptions reminds me of an experiment psychologists performed years ago. They started with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, they hung a banana on a string with a set of stairs placed under it. Before long, a monkey went to the stairs and started to climb towards the banana. As soon as he started up the stairs, the psychologists sprayed all of the other monkeys with ice cold water. After a while, another monkey made an attempt to obtain the banana. As soon as his foot touched the stairs, all of the other monkeys were sprayed with ice cold water. It's wasn't long before all of the other monkeys would physically prevent any monkey from climbing the stairs. Now, the psychologists shut off the cold water, removed one monkey from the cage and replaced it with a new one. The new monkey saw the banana and started to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attacked him and beat the snot out of him. After another attempt and another attack, he realized that if he tried to climb the stairs, he would be assaulted and beaten. Next they removed another of the original five monkeys and replaced it with a new one. The newcomer went to the stairs and was attacked and beaten. The previous newcomer took part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, they replaced a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey tried to climb the stairs, he was attacked. These new monkeys had no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they were beating any monkey that tried. After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys had ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approached the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been around here. People do the same in the workplace. How many times have you heard "It has always been done this way. Don't mess with what works." Instead of challenging these assumptions, many of us, like the monkeys, simply keep reproducing what has been done before. It's the easiest thing to do.

So it is with the United States Congress and other groups of lawmakers across the country. "Go along to get along". The way to fix this is to vote in ALL NEW lawmakers every time there is an election, but that will never happen without a 180 degree turn in the mindset of the American voters and we have about as much chance of that happening as we do of living to see the 2nd coming of Christ.

Once in a while, us voters will encounter a new candidate for office who has the spark of wanting to change the system for the better, so we vote him/her into office and expect great things from them. And it always turns out the same way, as soon as the new Senator or Congressman attempts to climb the ladder and secure the banana for his/her constituents, he/she is attacked by the other members of the body and told that if they want to ever have any of the other members of the body to vote for any legislation that will help the new member's constituents, they had damned well better "go along to get along" and the spark dies.

It will not always be this way. These great United States of America, this noble experiment, is on the way out and we have nobody to blame but ourselves. Each new democracy that has flared up on this planet has gone through the same evolution and has ended with a revolution and replacement of the democratic form of government with a dictatorship. So it will be for America.
From Bondage to Spiritual Faith
From Spiritual Faith to Great Courage
From Courage to Liberty
From Liberty to Abundance
From Abundance to Complacency
From Complacency to Apathy
From Apathy to Dependence
From Dependence back into Bondage
Folks who are smarter than I am figure that we are currently in the Apathy to Dependence stage.

Richard

Last edited by techinspector1; Nov 15th, 15 at 1:04 PM.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 12:33 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

GREED and the love of money.

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 12:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
GREED and the love of money.

IF the American manufacturer would care more about QA/QC and product specs, their "made in China" products could be okay... But in quest for lower costs and higher profits, they seem to skimp on demanding quality from their suppliers...

Save money on materials, save money on labor, save money of QA/QC, pay a little more on shipping... And then hope that most consumers will still purchase your products when you current stuff doesn't work...

I love how many people bash others for purchasing stuff like Toyotas and Hondas instead of buying GM products, etc, because of the "buy American" mantra... IMO, many American corporations like GM care more about profit then they really care about the American public... Sure, they have to be competitive, but...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 3:36 PM
Tech Team
Arno

Garage

China IS able to produce good quality-but the demand is for cheap ,less quality lookalike stuff that can be sold in other countries for bigger profits...
When they are asked to produce reliable good quality,their price is as high or higher than similar known brand products.

Remember the times,when you went out to buy something,the quality of things were 'good' or 'better'-
the ,click 3 times and disintegrate' pen was not even invented.Over here,that junk came into play about 40 jears ago

Arno
post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 4:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Has something to do with clean air and better health as well...

Without the regulations, America would probably be the largest producer/manufacturer on this planet...

With that said, the other country's that everyone is talking about have citizens that breathe in toxic air.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollution_in_China

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-...-1227040198863

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 15, 4:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarsnbikes View Post
China IS able to produce good quality-but the demand is for cheap ,less quality lookalike stuff that can be sold in other countries for bigger profits...
When they are asked to produce reliable good quality,their price is as high or higher than similar known brand products.

Remember the times,when you went out to buy something,the quality of things were 'good' or 'better'-
the ,click 3 times and disintegrate' pen was not even invented.Over here,that junk came into play about 40 jears ago

Arno
I also agree with this...

I am sure China could make snap-on quality tools too...but the price would certainly be similar.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 817 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.