2015 General Tech Forum from 2015

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 15, 11:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage
Re: Made In Where ?

This time last year I went on my usual pre-Thanksgiving Vacation. The only difference this time was I was using up all my Vacation prior to my retirement at the end of the year. When the people that I worked with found out I was retiring, I had an endless train of people wanting to buy my tools, even my beat up old rusty Craftsman tool box. Sure I have some Harbor Freight in the mix, am I going to buy something for three or four times the price when in a very short time I'm probably never going to use it again....I highly doubt it. But I digress....Since I had been in the Aviation business for over forty years, I have a lot of old "American" made tools. I was offered a lot of money for some of my stuff, but I elected to give my Grandchildren first shot. I was a little surprised that most of the people I turned away were approaching or at my age. Very few of the new to the business seemed interested. I suppose that "New" trumps "Quality".

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 12:24 AM
Tech Team
Andy

I would have been one of the guys who wanted your old rusty tools. My favorite place to buy them is at garage sales and always looking for made in the USA not just craftsman. Btw I've been in the aircraft industry for 20 years and that's one reason it matters to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

70 Chevelle SS396
post #33 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Duke

That sounds like me.....garage sales and swap meets are GREAT locations to find "real" USA tools and such. I'm no young kid, either. Probably don't need too many more but I always am looking.

post #34 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 12:42 PM
Tech Team
ange

Well, I for one do certainly try to buy American as much as I can especially since I defended this country for 29 years in the Marines.
As what was mentioned, even though something says "Made in America", it doesnt necessarily mean that it is "Made in America". You can buy a American made Harley Davidson but most of the parts come from China. So essentially it will say "Assembled in USA with parts made in China". And from the words of Famous John Winger "That's a Fact Jack".

But I think it is the entire country at fault whether we know/like it or not. Not only from the consumer stand point looking for a better deal in foreign parts but from the American workers seeking higher wages. Just look at your simple jobs that we take for granted. How many of you would be a gardener or work in the fields for the small wages that they are paid? If we did pick strawberries for a living, we would then get our unions to protest to get higher wages driving the prices up and having the American people wanting to buy strawberries from overseas for a cheaper price. I know most of us want to get paid more so we can have a better life style and better provide for our families. (not forgetting to mention fixing our classic cars that we love so much)

I certainly do love my country but we are our own demise. But in some cases, the government is to blame. During the cold war, there was nothing more American than the top secret SR71 Blackbird. Well, 85% of the aircrafts airframe was made from titanium from the Soviet Union. But the US did that due to necessity.

Funny thing that I read in the thread was from Langss when he said "New Trumps Quality". Well, we all know what Trump's campaign is about but I wont make this a political post.

'Murica"

PS, this is IMHO only so please don't jump down my throat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	made in China.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	312690   Click image for larger version

Name:	sr71_blackbird_leaking_fuel_cell19.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	312698  

Last edited by angelglo; Nov 21st, 15 at 1:54 PM.
post #35 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 3:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelglo View Post
Well, I for one do certainly try to buy American as much as I can especially since I defended this country for 29 years in the Marines.
As what was mentioned, even though something says "Made in America", it doesnt necessarily mean that it is "Made in America". You can buy a American made Harley Davidson but most of the parts come from China. So essentially it will say "Assembled in USA with parts made in China". And from the words of Famous John Winger "That's a Fact Jack".

But I think it is the entire country at fault whether we know/like it or not. Not only from the consumer stand point looking for a better deal in foreign parts but from the American workers seeking higher wages. Just look at your simple jobs that we take for granted. How many of you would be a gardener or work in the fields for the small wages that they are paid? If we did pick strawberries for a living, we would then get our unions to protest to get higher wages driving the prices up and having the American people wanting to buy strawberries from overseas for a cheaper price. I know most of us want to get paid more so we can have a better life style and better provide for our families. (not forgetting to mention fixing our classic cars that we love so much)

I certainly do love my country but we are our own demise. But in some cases, the government is to blame. During the cold war, there was nothing more American than the top secret SR71 Blackbird. Well, 85% of the aircrafts airframe was made from titanium from the Soviet Union. But the US did that due to necessity.

Funny thing that I read in the thread was from Langss when he said "New Trumps Quality". Well, we all know what Trump's campaign is about but I wont make this a political post.

'Murica"

To part of your point, I wonder how many people replying to this thread actually work in manufacturing in the U.S.A.? How many of your kids aspire to work in manufacturing? I used to be in machining but no longer work in the field, myself. With the push towards higher education and college degrees in this country will manufacturing jobs even be relevant down the road? Seems to me it's a very complicated picture with very complicated causes and affects.

That said, I like buying quality tools and it's a big plus if it's marked made in America. It's very sad that I can no longer do that.
post #36 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 6:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

What it comes down too...

If we had the level of manufacturing that CHina does...

Our health system would be demanding even more money because everything around us would be hazardous.

Yes I would love to buy American...
Yes I would love to see the tons of manufacturing jobs...

But I am NOT one for the added health problems that come with breathing in chemicals, airborne powdered metal, and having piles of plastic dumped in our streams etc.

There are COSTS that come with that manufacturing lifestyle.

1969 chevelle
New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #37 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelglo View Post

'Murica"

Believe me, I thought about my terminology, and it in no way was a reference to the "Man", but instead was a commentary on the choices my younger counterparts chose to make. I was in the same position when I got started in this business, but the choices were a lot broader back then. Ironically during my last few working days I was quietly laughing at how much money all these old tools made me over the years. I hope my Grandchildren pay enough attention to the detail and not have all my stuff end up on the front yard on a "Blue" Harbor Freight Tarp.....LOL..... On another note with regard to Education verses Manufacturing, I think the problem is that the current mentality is to get the Education and somebody else will get their hands dirty. The problem with that thinking is the more "Educated" have no idea what a bottle of prop wash is or a yard of flight line, but they have a Degree and can be a manager at McDonalds or Burger King. So they gladly pay $200+ for a Brake Job....Just put it on the card. Problem Solved Just my .02.
Brownd3max likes this.

post #38 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 15, 10:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmchevelle View Post
To part of your point, I wonder how many people replying to this thread actually work in manufacturing in the U.S.A.? How many of your kids aspire to work in manufacturing? I used to be in machining but no longer work in the field, myself. With the push towards higher education and college degrees in this country will manufacturing jobs even be relevant down the road? Seems to me it's a very complicated picture with very complicated causes and affects.

That said, I like buying quality tools and it's a big plus if it's marked made in America. It's very sad that I can no longer do that.
I used to as well. Now someone in Mexico works in manufacturing.

I went back to school for HVAC and while I was there, they started a program to teach.....MANUFACTURING!

Seems when you incentivize outsourcing*cough*NAFTA*cough cough* then people steer clear of those jobs.

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #39 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 15, 8:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I'm in the HVAC/R field and just about all the a/c equipment says "assembled in U.S.A." they've all went to aluminum evaporator & condenser coils, not made here, motors made in china, mexico, and who knows where else? I was trying to find a replacement motor for a mini split a/c ended up at Grainger, the guy behind the counter found one in a province of china, they wanted to be paid in advance and a 8 week wait for the motor,the guy said " I would rec. it " aint no way I would have, American Standard sells an a/c central house unit made in china, AmeriStar ha ha, I haven't installed one and wont but when parts on "ass. in U.S.A." start failing customers start looking at the contractor like he screwed them but what choice do you have? no one is making a 100% made in USA a/c system, sorry if I got off topic but I don't think I did.

post #40 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 15, 8:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
I'm in the HVAC/R field and just about all the a/c equipment says "assembled in U.S.A." they've all went to aluminum evaporator & condenser coils, not made here, motors made in china, mexico, and who knows where else? I was trying to find a replacement motor for a mini split a/c ended up at Grainger, the guy behind the counter found one in a province of china, they wanted to be paid in advance and a 8 week wait for the motor,the guy said " I would rec. it " aint no way I would have, American Standard sells an a/c central house unit made in china, AmeriStar ha ha, I haven't installed one and wont but when parts on "ass. in U.S.A." start failing customers start looking at the contractor like he screwed them but what choice do you have? no one is making a 100% made in USA a/c system, sorry if I got off topic but I don't think I did.
No I don't think you went off topic.... I just recently bought a house built in 1984. From the looks of things, the Furnace up in the attic has been replaced, but the Air unit outside appears to be the original. I'm not looking forward to the day it has to be replaced, I doubt that any of the "Name" brands are made here anymore.

post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 15, 11:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I'm pretty sure its a R-22 Freon system and our big gov has stopped the manuf. of the R-22 outdoor condensing units so you will probably have to change both units when it goes out, unless you can find a good used unit that was replaced for a R-410a system.

post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 15, 10:39 AM
Team Member
Pete

I look at everything i buy and try to buy "made in USA" as much as possible.
But in the end i think its a losing battle with a lot of products.
Either its made in china by peasants or made here by robots.
Its just the nature of mass manufacturing. Its a much more complicated issue then most people want to admit, Or will fit on on a bumper sticker.

LS Swap
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/141-...lq4-build.html
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 15, 12:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

The USA is trending toward "work for the government" if you expect a living wage. The number of people with degrees has gone up right along with the number of unemployed people with degrees.
We can thank the consumer for opening the door for the major manufacturers and we can thank the lobbyists for the global economy taking a priority over the American economy. The regulatory agencies in government now determine who is and who is not successful. It has gone crazy and I fear it will never get better for this country but the planet will have one labor rate ultimately. There will be a middle class only because those who call the shots will need administrators.
Brownd3max likes this.

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
4.11 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date [email protected] @115.31
1.315 60'
post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 15, 7:20 AM
Mike

it's hard enough getting good stuff anywhere in the world, I live "Down under" Perth to be more accurate,
I shoot a Bow for a hobby, Mathews is my brand of choice, I bought a good second hand one off a mate that bought it new some years ago,
I decided to get a new fancy bow a couple of years back, some tax refund to spend before the ex got her greedy mits on it,
turns out I cant shoot a new bow localy to try it, our dealers are just too small to stock Demo Bows, so lets go out on a limb and just buy one, price it up, about $1800 fitted out, hot around the USA, looks like i can get one for about $1000, but we cant send it down under... they don't let us, finally found a shop that would, listed it as a demo bow, so it's "used"
7 days to my door, wow, service with smiles...
a guy at our club, ordered the same bow from a dealer in the east, a month before I did, 2 months later and he finally got it,
so, Free trade agreement with AU and USA, our $$$ were about equal, yet we pay a $800 premium for the pleasure...
now they have closed down the loopholes, Just cant get one form USA, same deal with Harley Parts...

oh and the AC delco brake hoses I fetched for the Malibu... China...
I was sticking with a brand at lest i knew to be good quality, I hadn't heard of many of the brands that were available...

'65 Malibu SS
in Fremantle
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 15, 9:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarsnbikes View Post
https://www.chevelles.com/forums/atta...1&d=1447710982

^^^^That rite there should be against the law !

1970 Chevelle SS full weight street car (4030lbs)
498-11.5:1 (Mac built) 91 pump gas+
Strauby sissy roller -
brodix-rr rec 294
weiand stelth- Pro Systems 1000
turbo 400 10" 3200 Coan 4.10 12 bolt
Best Passes on28-10.5-15 slicks and 110
1.56-6.97-99.83
1.6194-11.1666-120.94

And a drag [email protected]

If it wasn't dangerous, it wouldn't be fun!

https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/d...7/IMG_2519.JPG
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/d.../IMG_24851.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 733 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.