10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Oil Test Data - Chevelle Tech
2015 General Tech Forum from 2015

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 15, 5:02 PM
540 RAT

10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Oil Test Data

First, let's make sure we are all on the same page about motor oil. My Motor Oil Test Data Blog has received such widespread acceptance, that it has now reached nearly 70,000 views worldwide. And it grows by about 5,000 views per month. People from all over the world have embraced it because they finally have usable factual information available to make an informed choice to select the best motor oil for their needs. Until my test data became available, all they had was the old MYTH that any high zinc oil was all they needed.

But, my test data has completely BUSTED the old myth that all high zinc oils provide the needed wear protection. The fact is that some high zinc oils provide excellent wear protection, while other high zinc oils only provide poor wear protection. On my ranking list, the number one ranked oil right out of the bottle is a high zinc oil, but an oil with the highest amount of zinc I've ever seen, is ranked dead last. The oil you need, all depends on your engine's wear protection requirements vs the amount of wear protection your motor oil provides. You may be OK, or you may not. Just because your engine has not seized up with oil you are using, does NOT mean you are using a great oil. It only means is that your oil provides enough wear protection for engine's current setup and usage. But, it says absolutely nothing about how much reserve wear protection capacity that motor oil provides. So, people who choose an oil simply because it has a high level of zinc present, may well be using an oil that only provides a very low margin of safety, which means they are playing Russian Roulette with their engine for no good reason. We can do much better now, than blindly believing that old wives tale about needing high zinc levels.

The zinc level alone, (and using zinc as the primary extreme pressure anti-wear component is outdated technology) does NOT determine how well a motor oil can prevent wear. And even more zinc CANNOT physically increase the wear protection. Zinc simply does NOT work that way. And anyone or any Company that says it does, does NOT understand how zinc works, and is spreading false information from the old myth. Zinc is sacrificed and used up, a little at a time, as mileage accumulates. So, the amount of zinc present in the oil is reduced over time. But, testing of various used oils with 5,000 miles on them, showed no reduction in wear protection capability even though the zinc level had been reduced by about 25% on average, which is another example of how the zinc level does NOT determine wear protection. The zinc level went way down, but the wear protection held steady. More zinc simply takes longer to be depleted because there is more of it to begin with. It is much like more gas in your tank takes longer to run out, but more gas in your tank does NOT give you more power.

My Engineering motor oil test data is "proven" by Physics and Chemistry, and EXACTLY MATCHES real world race track experience. Proof doesn't come any better than that. And my test data also has numerous endorsements by other Engineers as well as Automotive Industry experts. See my Motor Oil Testing Blog link below for all the details.

But of course, there are some outspoken brainwashed zinc loving individuals who cannot come to grips with the actual shortcomings of zinc in their oils. So, they go out of their way in an attempt to discredit my Engineering test data. But, what they blindly believe, simply because of what they have been told, read and heard for many years about needing high zinc levels, is only folklore that cannot be proven with hard data, because it simply is NOT true. They cannot back-up anything they say with any kind of hard data. All they can do is provide a link to some lame Internet article. However, I prove what I post with hard data to back-up everything I say. And the fact that my test data exactly matches real world race track experience, cancels out all of the bogus things they say in a pointless attempt to discredit my data. They only make themselves look bad by thinking anyone would believe their words can somehow cancel out Physics, Chemistry and the matching of race track experience.

Wiped flat tappet lobes still happen with too much frequency, even though people used high zinc oils or low zinc oils with zinc additives. And this proves my point about not being able to rely on zinc levels alone. Of course high zinc believers try to make excuses by saying the cam/lifter material was bad or that the break-in procedure was wrong. But, most failures occurred with name brand parts that now provide good quality material, and you don't need any special break-in procedure if you use the correct motor oil. So, those folks have overlooked the root cause of the failures, which was that not all high zinc oils provide enough wear protection.

The fact is, if you select a high ranking oil from my wear protection ranking list, no matter how much zinc is in it, you will be good to go and can quit worrying about the oil in your engine, no matter what type of cam you run or how wicked the engine is.

My test data ranks motor oil based on film strength load carrying capacity, NOT how much zinc is in it. And the only thing that matters, is an oil's film strength load carrying capacity. Because, you have to penetrate an oil's film strength, in order to reach metal to metal contact and suffer wear or damage. In fact, as mentioned above, and it is worth repeating, you don't even have to use some elaborate break-in procedure if you select one of the high ranked oils from my list, even if you run a wicked flat tappet engine. Just break it in like you would a brand new vehicle. In other words, you don't have to lose sleep over break-in anymore if you select a proper oil.

Here is just one example of that. A buddy built a 500 HP, flat tappet, solid lifter, 383ci small block Chevy for his '69 Corvette several years ago. He asked me what oil he should use to break it in and to use later on as well. He wanted to use a conventional oil at that time, that was affordable, and readily available. So, I suggested he use conventional low zinc 5W30 Castrol GTX, API SN, that provided 95,392 psi in my testing, which put it in the OUTSTANDING wear protection category.

He used that oil from day one with no elaborate break-in procedure at all. He just drove the car. It is his only car, so it is his daily driver, which he always drives like he stole it. And he has never had any issue with his cam or lifters. Then maybe a year or so ago he decided he wanted to switch to a synthetic oil that was affordable and readily available, so I suggested he go with low zinc synthetic 5W30 Mobil 1, API SN, that provided 105,875 psi in my testing, which put it in the INCREDIBLE wear protection category.

He has used that oil ever since and still has not had any issue at all with his cam or lifters. He has tens of thousands of hard Hotrod miles on that cam and lifter combo, which is far more miles than most weekend only Hotrods will ever see, and he has never suffered one bit from not using a high zinc oil. So, that is yet another example of the fact that high zinc oils are NOT needed for sufficient wear protection, even in flat tappet engines, and not even for break-in. The only thing that matters, as mentioned above, is an oil's film strength load carrying capacity. And that is precisely the data my Oil Testing Blog ranks.

For the high zinc lovers who just can't wrap their minds around that, I invite them to actually sit down and read my entire Blog from start to finish, with an open mind. And they will very likely be convinced that their old beliefs about high zinc oil have been wrong all along. That will allow them to use 21st Century motor oil Engineering test data to finally choose the oils that truly are the best for their needs.

I've received countless PM's and Blog comments from people all over the world, thanking me for providing factual motor oil data that they've never been able to find before. They make use of it, and you can too. Keep in mind, that I do not sell oil nor work for any motor oil Company. I do not sell motor oil additives nor work for any motor oil additive Company. I do not sell nor work for any cam/lifter Company. I only share the test data that came out of my Engineering tests, as a courtesy to other gear heads.

The test data I provide is the real deal, and is NOT my theory, and is NOT my opinion. The data was all determined by the Physics and Chemistry involved. The high zinc lovers cannot change Physics and Chemistry, so don't believe a word they say about always needing high zinc oils for adequate wear protection. Because that is simply NOT true. Newer technology extreme pressure anti-wear components used in modern low zinc oil additive packages are better than just zinc/phos alone from the old days. Time marches on and motor oils have greatly improved, no matter what the high zinc guys say.

You can embrace my factual Engineering test data and make use of it, or you can ignore my data, and continue to follow the old MYTH about always needing high zinc levels, that is your call. All I ask is that you read my entire Blog from start to finish with an open mind, then decide for yourself. The engine you save, may be your own.

*** Continued on the next reply ***
Tarheel Chevelle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 15, 5:04 PM
540 RAT

Re: 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Oil Test Data

*** Continued here ***

So finally, on with the specific topic of this posting. A Forum member asked me to test 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Conventional Motorcycle Oil, API SL, for him to see if it was really any good. I agreed to perform the testing, so he sent me a bottle for the test. He was interested in using it in his Hotrod, since it came highly recommended by another Forum member who considers it his favorite motor oil because it "claims" 2X the ZDDP, 1800 ppm zinc/phos, superior protection, and other big claims.

Hmmmm, the guy recommending this oil to the Forum member who contacted me, decided this was his favorite oil just because of what was printed on the bottle and on Spectro's website??? WOW!!! High zinc lovers will attack me and my ENGINEERING TEST DATA which is the real deal, and EXACTLY MATCHES race track experience, yet they have no problem embracing an oil simply because of its ADVERTISING??? Talk about a double standard. That shows how little credibility high zinc lovers have. They will embrace an oil with absolutely nothing technical to support it, yet if I provide actual Engineering test data, in their minds I'm the bad guy. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't appreciate being made the bad guy just because I provide real Engineering data. That is total insanity. Engineering test data drives the world, and multi-million dollar corporate decisions are made based on Engineering test data. And for the record, motor oils are among the worst products I've ever seen for false advertising. So, never believe anything a motor oil hype "claims", only believe what actual real world test data "proves".

So, I performed the test on this 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard oil, of course using the exact same test procedure that I've used on every other motor oil I've ever tested. And I've ranked it below among other high zinc oils (over 1100 ppm zinc) I've tested, so you can see how it performed relative to other high zinc oils. That way it is on a level playing field, with no low zinc oils in the mix to confuse the issue. This way it will be a direct apples to apples comparison.

Wear protection reference categories are:

• Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection

• 90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection

• 75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection

• 60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection

• Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

The higher the psi number, the better the wear protection.

1.5W30 Motul Ester Core 4T Motorcycle Racing Oil, synthetic = 112,612 psi
zinc = 1724 ppm
phos = 1547 ppm

2. 10W30 Lucas Racing Only, synthetic = 106,505 psi
zinc = 2642 ppm
phos = 3489 ppm

3. 5W30 Joe Gibbs Driven LS30 Performance Motor Oil, synthetic = 104,487 psi
zinc = 1610 ppm
phos = 1496 ppm

4. 10W30 Valvoline NSL (Not Street Legal) Conventional Racing Oil = 103,846 psi
zinc = 1669 ppm
phos = 1518 ppm

5. 10W30 Valvoline VR1 Conventional Racing Oil (silver bottle) = 103,505 psi
zinc = 1472 ppm
phos = 1544 ppm

6. 10W30 Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Racing Oil, API SL (black bottle) = 101,139 psi
zinc = 1180 ppm
phos = 1112 ppm

7. 30 wt Red Line Race Oil synthetic = 96,470 psi
zinc = 2207 ppm
phos = 2052 ppm

8. 10W30 Amsoil Z-Rod Oil synthetic = 95,360 psi
zinc = 1431 ppm
phos = 1441 ppm

9. 5W30 Maxima RS530 Synthetic Racing Oil = 91,162 psi
zinc = 2162 ppm
phos = 2294 ppm

10. 10W30 Quaker State Defy, API SL semi-synthetic = 90,226 psi
zinc = 1221 ppm
phos = 955 ppm

11. 10W30 Joe Gibbs HR4 Hotrod Oil synthetic = 86,270 psi
zinc = 1247 ppm
phos = 1137 ppm

12. 15W40 RED LINE Diesel Oil synthetic, API CJ-4/CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CF/CH-4/CF-4/SM/SL/SH/EO-O = 85,663 psi
zinc = 1615 ppm
phos = 1551 ppm

13. 5W30 LAT Synthetic Racing Oil = 81,800 psi
zinc = 1784 ppm
phos = 1539 ppm

14. 30wt Amsoil Break-In Oil, conventional = 78,192 psi
zinc = 2051 ppm
phos = 1917 ppm

15. 5W30 Lucas API SM synthetic = 76,584 psi
zinc = 1134 ppm
phos = 666 ppm

16. 5W50 Castrol Edge with Syntec API SN, synthetic, formerly Castrol Syntec, black bottle = 75,409 psi
zinc = 1252 ppm
phos = 1197 ppm

17. 5W30 Royal Purple XPR (Extreme Performance Racing) synthetic = 74,860 psi
zinc = 1421 ppm
phos = 1338 ppm

18. 5W40 MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL TRUCK synthetic, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4 and ACEA E7 = 74,312 psi
zinc = 1211 ppm
phos = 1168 ppm

19. 0W50 Mobil 1 Racing Oil = 73,811 psi
zinc = 1676 ppm
phos = 1637 ppm

20. 15W40 CHEVRON DELO 400LE Diesel Oil, conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF-4,CF/SM, = 73,520 psi
zinc = 1519 ppm
phos = 1139 ppm

21. 15W40 MOBIL DELVAC 1300 SUPER Diesel Oil conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI-4, CH-4/SM, SL = 73,300 psi
zinc = 1297 ppm
phos = 1944 ppm

22. 15W40 Farm Rated Heavy Duty Performance Diesel, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF/SL, SJ (conventional) = 73,176 psi
zinc = 1325ppm
phos = 1234 ppm

23. 15W40 “NEW” SHELL ROTELLA T Diesel Oil conventional, API CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF-4,CF/SM = 72,022 psi
zinc = 1454 ppm
phos = 1062 ppm

24. 0W30 Mobil 1 Racing Oil = 71,923 psi
zinc = 1693 ppm
phos = 1667 ppm

25. 0W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1 (semi-synthetic) = 71,377 psi
zinc = 1621 ppm
phos = 1437 ppm

26. 15W40 “OLD” SHELL ROTELLA T Diesel Oil conventional, API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4,CG-4,CF-4,CF,SL, SJ, SH = 71,214 psi
zinc = 1171 ppm
phos = 1186 ppm

27. 10W30 Brad Penn, Penn Grade 1 (semi-synthetic) = 71,206 psi
zinc = 1557 ppm
phos = 1651 ppm

28. 15W50 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic = 70,235 psi
zinc = 1133 ppm
phos = 1,168 ppm

29. 30wt Edelbrock Break-In Oil conventional = 69,160 psi
zinc = 1545 ppm
phos = 1465 ppm

30. 10W40 Edelbrock synthetic = 68,603 psi
zinc = 1193 ppm
phos = 1146 ppm

31. 15W40 LUCAS MAGNUM Diesel Oil, conventional, API CI-4,CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL = 66,476 psi
zinc = 1441 ppm
phos = 1234 ppm

32. 10W30 Royal Purple HPS (High Performance Street) synthetic = 66,211 psi
zinc = 1774 ppm
phos = 1347 ppm

33. 10W40 Valvoline 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil conventional, API SJ = 65,553 psi
zinc = 1154 ppm
phos = 1075 ppm

34. 5W30 Klotz Estorlin Racing Oil, API SL synthetic = 64,175 psi
zinc = 1765 ppm
phos = 2468 ppm

35. “ZDDPlus” added to Royal Purple 20W50, API SN, synthetic = 63,595 psi
zinc = 2436 ppm (up 1848 ppm)
phos = 2053 ppm (up 1356 ppm)
The amount of ZDDPlus added to the oil, was the exact amount the manufacturer called for on the bottle. And the resulting psi value here was 24% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the ZDDPlus was added to it. Most major Oil Companies say to NEVER add anything to their oils, because adding anything will upset the carefully balanced additive package, and ruin the oil’s chemical composition. And that is precisely what we see here. Adding ZDDPlus SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED this oil’s wear prevention capability. Just the opposite of what was promised.

36. Royal Purple 10W30 Break-In Oil conventional = 62,931 psi
zinc = 1170 ppm
phos = 1039 ppm

37. 10W30 Lucas Hot Rod & Classic Hi-Performance Oil, conventional = 62,538 psi
zinc = 2116 ppm
phos = 1855 ppm

38. 10W30 Comp Cams Muscle Car & Street Rod Oil, synthetic blend = 60,413 psi
zinc = 1673 ppm
phos = 1114 ppm

39. 10W40 Torco TR-1 Racing Oil with MPZ conventional = 59,905 psi
zinc = 1456 ppm
phos = 1150 ppm

40. 10W40 Summit Racing Premium Racing Oil, API SL conventional = 59,483 psi
zinc = 1764 ppm
phos = 1974 ppm

41. 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Motorcycle Oil, API SL, conventional = 57,977 psi
zinc = 1800 ppm (claimed on the bottle)
phos = 1800 ppm (claimed on the bottle)

42. “ZDDPlus” added to O’Reilly (house brand) 5W30, API SN, conventional = 56,728 psi
zinc = 2711 ppm (up 1848 ppm)
phos = 2172 ppm (up 1356 ppm)
The amount of ZDDPlus added to the oil, was the exact amount the manufacturer called for on the bottle. And the resulting psi value here was 38% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the ZDDPlus was added to it. Adding ZDDPlus SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED this oil’s wear prevention capability. Just the opposite of what was promised.

43. “ZDDPlus” added to Motorcraft 5W30, API SN, synthetic = 56,243 psi
zinc = 2955 ppm (up 1848 ppm)
phos = 2114 ppm (up 1356 ppm)
The amount of ZDDPlus added to the oil, was the exact amount the manufacturer called for on the bottle. And the resulting psi value here was 12% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the ZDDPlus was added to it. Adding ZDDPlus SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED this oil’s wear prevention capability. Just the opposite of what was promised.

44. 0W Mobil 1 Racing Oil = 55,080 psi
zinc = 1952 ppm
phos = 1671 ppm

45. “Edelbrock Zinc Additive” added to Royal Purple 5W30, API SN, synthetic = 54,044 psi
zinc = 1515 ppm (up 573 ppm)
phos = 1334 ppm (up 517 ppm)
The amount of Edelbrock Zinc Additive added to the oil, was the exact amount the manufacturer called for on the bottle. And the resulting psi value here was a whopping 36% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the Edelbrock Zinc Additive was added to it. Adding Edelbrock Zinc Additive SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED this oil’s wear prevention capability. Just the opposite of what was promised.

46. 10W30 Comp Cams Break-In Oil conventional = 51,749 psi
zinc = 3004 ppm
phos = 2613 ppm

47. “Edelbrock Zinc Additive” added to Lucas 5W30, API SN, conventional = 51,545 psi
zinc = 1565 ppm (up 573 ppm)
phos = 1277 ppm (up 517 ppm)
The amount of Edelbrock Zinc Additive added to the oil, was the exact amount the manufacturer called for on the bottle. And the resulting psi value here was a “breath taking” 44% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the Edelbrock Zinc Additive was added to it. Adding Edelbrock Zinc Additive SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED this oil’s wear prevention capability. Just the opposite of what was promised.

48. “Edelbrock Zinc Additive” added to Motorcraft 5W30, API SN, synthetic = 50,202 psi
zinc = 1680 ppm (up 573 ppm)
phos = 1275 ppm (up 517 ppm)
The amount of Edelbrock Zinc Additive added to the oil, was the exact amount the manufacturer called for on the bottle. And the resulting psi value here was 22% LOWER than this oil had BEFORE the Edelbrock Zinc Additive was added to it. Adding Edelbrock Zinc Additive SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED this oil’s wear prevention capability. Just the opposite of what was promised.

49. 30wt Lucas Break-In Oil conventional = 49,455 psi
zinc = 4483 ppm
phos = 3660 ppm

So, as you can see above, the results for 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Motorcycle Oil were disappointing. It only ranked 41st out of these 49 high zinc oils, which of course means that 40 other high zinc oils provided better wear protection. And it ranks 134th out of 143 oils tested so far on my overall Wear Protection Ranking List, which means that a whopping 133 other oils provided better wear protection. This 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard oil did not support the bold claims made on the bottle, which has been a common theme among many of the smaller name Oil Companies. It has been typical for many of the smaller name Oil Companies to dump in a high level of zinc and then claim their oil is amazing. You'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, and think that they are not blatantly putting out false advertising. I would expect these small oil Companies are made up of good people who mean well, but are simply following the old myth about needing high zinc levels for adequate wear protection. Apparently they do not have the resources to actually test their products to see how well they actually perform.

The ranking list above for these 49 high zinc oils is ABSOLUTE PROOF that not all high zinc oils provide equal wear protection capabilities. As you can see, some high zinc oils provide excellent wear protection, while other high zinc oils only provide poor wear protection. And that makes it totally clear, that you simply CANNOT predict an oil’s wear protection capability by looking only at its zinc level. If you only look at zinc levels, that is no better than guessing.

A motor oil’s wear protection capability is determined by its base oil and its additive package “as a whole”, with the emphasis on its additive package which is what contains the extreme pressure anti-wear components, and NOT simply by how much zinc is present. The ONLY way to know for sure how much wear protection any given oil can provide, is to look at an oil's film strength load carrying capacity, which is precisely what my Wear Protection Ranking List is based on.

I also tested this 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard oil for the onset of Thermal Breakdown, which showed it reached that point at 245*F. This is the lowest value I've seen from conventional oils that I've tested for the onset of Thermal Breakdown. The other conventional oils I tested, reached the onset of Thermal Breakdown between 260* and 280*.

If you've used this 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard oil in your combo without issue, that means it has been providing enough wear protection for your engine as it is, and for the way it is being used, so you don't have to stop using it. As long as nothing changes with your engine or its usage, you will probably never have a problem. But, you don't have as much reserve wear protection capability as you would have with higher ranked oils.

540 RAT

Mechanical Engineer

U.S. Patent Holder

Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)

Member ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)

To see my entire 140+ motor oil “Wear Protection Ranking List” Blog (with over 65,000 “views” worldwide), along with additional motor oil tech FACTS, which are "proven" by Physics and Chemistry, and exactly matches real world track experience, go to this link:
http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Last edited by 540 RAT; Jan 1st, 15 at 5:20 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 15, 6:25 PM
dt
Tech Team
Donny

10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard oil Same oil branded Summit Racing which Summit discontinued I believe.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 15, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Why is is the rankings don't match the list at 540ratblog.wordpress.com?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 15, 10:56 PM
Tech Team
George

Test for 10W40 ULX 110 !! Please.

482 New ZL1 Block
HR 250 @ 50 107 LSA
Pro Systems 4150
AFR 315s 11.3:1 Ported 163
Auto Gear M22W, 410 12 Bolt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 15, 1:00 PM
Tech Team

Garage

That's pretty interesting . Lots of zinc and very low on the film strength. Guess I would have thought this oil would have produced a little better numbers. Thanks for letting us all know about these results, cause the oil companies sure aren't going to. Keep em coming!

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 15, 1:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
he won't reply.. he's an SAE certified engineer, he doesn't respond to the queries of mere mortal people..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 15, 5:57 PM
Tech Team
Rich

10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Oil Test Data

Quote:

(I haven't compared either list, and I bet there are more than just two lists out there)

Testing like this has so many variables which result in some margin of variation from test to test. Not to bash the original poster.. no test is absolute and there has to be an understanding that there is a margin for error in order for lists like these show their true value. Still, with that said, this combined with other resources is good information to have.

1968 Chevelle Malibu 454, mild cam, 30 over, 12-bolt 3.73 rear
1972 Chevelle Malibu 350, radical cam, 30 over, 10-bolt 3.55 rear
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6L (281), Stock
There are no Ford vs. Chevy wars in my garage. It's all U.S. muscle.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 15, 1:48 AM
z27
Tech Team
alex

I was going to try this motor oil but after reading the report i am not going to .apparently it has plenty of zddp to protect the cam and lifter but low film strength . The way i understand this is its ok but not for a long time and the change intervals would be sooner . i think the key here is get the right weight a good amount of zddp and the highest film strength you can get and you will have a good oil . Alex
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 15, 6:04 AM
Tech Team
Christian

I will realy like to know how you find out what the right weight is for a engine??
Smoothdawg likes this.

With more power than sane people can handle

69 Chevelle SS 396
Screaming Shafiroff 582 SS EFI + 300hp nitrous
Straub camed
PTC Texas 4800stall
Jake's 4L80e with T brake Optishift
PST carbon driveshaft
Moser 12 bolt 3.42 gears
lighter ring gear. 35 spline. Gundrilled. starflange
1.655 60" 6.691 @ 104mph 1/8 mile, with out the nitrous

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 15, 6:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Big Al

Quote:
The list above is only high zinc oils (above 1100 PPM). Anything less has been omitted.

1968 Impala Turbo 6.0 798 RWHP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

72' 5 speed LY6 Malibu-Sold

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 15, 10:04 AM
Tech Team

What about an air cooled Harley? Can you test the 20w50 Mobil 1 silver cap? I was wondering how it compares to the 20w50 V-twin Mobil 1. It's a lot cheaper, and I believe might be better oil.

What's your feeling on oil weight for a Harley? The manufacture calls for 20w50

Thanks,
John

1970 Chevelle, 400, UD Harold solid, 5.565 rod, standard bore, vortec heads, Jerico DR4, best ET 11.85, 113 MPH

1961 Buick Lesabre convertible, bone stock cruiser
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 5:21 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Lightbulb Re: 10W40 Spectro Motor-Guard High Performance Oil Test Data

The answers to any/all the above questions are in the

540 RAT blog. Google precisely that. You'll be glad you did.

The 2 individuals who concocted the "ZDDP+" flim-flam are both marketing hucksters.

One was a Car Stereo Shop Owner.

The other BSing snake-oil seller previously sold Used Cars.

The gullibility of additive addicts/zinc-zombies has made them both tens-of-millions of dollars richer. Sad, sad, sad...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 6:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
sam

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevJerico View Post
What about an air cooled Harley? Can you test the 20w50 Mobil 1 silver cap? I was wondering how it compares to the 20w50 V-twin Mobil 1. It's a lot cheaper, and I believe might be better oil.

What's your feeling on oil weight for a Harley? The manufacture calls for 20w50

Thanks,
John
I followed his link and it was stated that Valvoline vr1 20 50 performed very well. For an air cooled application.
ChevJerico likes this.

1967 Royal Plum, 434BB, AFR Heads, 3.90 gears, New Chris Straub Hyd Roller!, 200r4
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 19, 7:41 PM
Senior Tech Team

"540 RAT

I guess this means he doesn't monitor or update this thread.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in