Searching for a specific 1966 Chevelle SS - Chevelle Tech
Lost and Found A home for lost and found Chevelle cars or items.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Steve R

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 2:59 PM Thread Starter
Jeff

Searching for a specific 1966 Chevelle SS

Hi folks! We're looking for my brothers old car, we haven't seen it in 25 years. It a 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS. We would love any information or pictures if the vin number matches, vin number is 138176B161715 . My cell number is 8603915696, I can text or call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 20, 6:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Searching for a specific 1966 Chevelle SS

The only person the might know the VIN is the owner, even then, most owners don’t know it off the top of their head. Your best chance of finding the car is by giving a thorough description, post a couple of pictures, when and where was the last time you saw it.

Good luck with your search.

Steve R
Freddy Mercado and RAIDER SS like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 12:57 AM
Tech Team

i could tell you the vin of about 6 of my cars at one time but my 66 is ingrained in my memory forever.i agree it would be helpful to know a little more info of color and sale location.beings your in conn it probably won't be showing up here in iowa.but ya never knbow.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 1:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
The only person the might know the VIN is the owner, even then, most owners don’t know it off the top of their head. Your best chance of finding the car is by giving a thorough description, post a couple of pictures, when and where was the last time you saw it.
I agree, the best place to start is where the car was last known to be located...

For future knowledge (someone finding this thread after using the Search function), Dale McIntosh created a registry for SS cars.

© INTERNATIONAL SS396 CHEVELLE REGISTRY

I checked quickly but didn't see the OP's VIN... It is limited, Dale only has about 63 cars listed for 1966 registry, out of 72,272...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 9:50 AM
Tech Team
Roman

Realistically your chances are about 0%.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 8:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz0k30 View Post
Realistically your chances are about 0%.
....and if you do , then what?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 20, 9:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

OP Good Luck on your hunt

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 9:46 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

The vin thing is a shot in the dark. One could get lucky with the vin but if it does not one should follow the trail. That is very difficult at present as no car people
gatherings. It will take a lot of work to follow the trail and one may hit several dead ends. Go to shows with pics of the car and ask other Chevelle people if they know of it. Post a pic on Craigslist in an area you think it might be and ask if anyone knows of it.
Once one exhausts all avenues then come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is recreate a similar car with another Chevelle.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 6:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
The vin thing is a shot in the dark. One could get lucky with the vin but if it does not one should follow the trail. That is very difficult at present as no car people
gatherings. It will take a lot of work to follow the trail and one may hit several dead ends. Go to shows with pics of the car and ask other Chevelle people if they know of it. Post a pic on Craigslist in an area you think it might be and ask if anyone knows of it.
Once one exhausts all avenues then come to the conclusion that the best thing to do is recreate a similar car with another Chevelle.
Craigslist should be a decent resource, and free... But you'll have to weed out a lot of flakes...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 7:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I think the best person to get in touch with is Mike Smith the owner of Mystery Chevelle he's knowledgeable when it comes to 66 & 67 Chevelles that got sold.

WWW.MYSTERYCHEVELLE.COM

That would be a great place to start your search (well other than here)

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 7:02 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I wouldnt have bothered giving hmi Mike's name. he's likely trolling, No story, no location no description, only a #.

Call 'em to see if its legit!?

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 7:23 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

You know I suspect many of the 1st time posters that do so in the lost and found forum just stumble across this site. Then they notice the lost and found forum and a light bulb goes off " Ill inquire about uncle Bill's long lost Chevelle. They have no serious desire to find the car and posting is the only effort they make. I doubt the majority are serious and yes odds are some are running a scam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in