Team Chevelle banner

Only joined to find my Dad's Chevelle

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  TD Charlie 
#1 ·
I am trying to locate a 1967 Chevelle Malibu that was sold in Northeast IL. I found the bill of sale in some of my Dad's old folders (he was just ok at keeping receipts and stuff). As they are getting on in age, I would like to find the Chevelle that he owned back in the day.

If anyone has information on how to track this down, it would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

Oh, and thanks for letting me join!

#3 ·
The only number I have is:

136177K211069

At the time of him selling it, it was a 1967 Blue Chevelle with a 283 motor.

It had an automatic with a split bench seat. I don't remember the color of the seats cause we had seats covers, but those were a white and blue checkered pattern.

I do remember him trying to do a little rust fix on the driver side mirror, so under the mirror there was an obvious paint correction.

#7 ·
Older VINs work on the NMVTIS. My cars (that are registered) show up. And I found a 67 Chevelle that matches an engine that I own. But not all states participate.

#10 ·
I tried contacting the Illinois DMV back when I was trying to locate my L78 ‘67 and I was told by the DMV that they didn’t have records back that far, as I recall, plus they won’t share ownership information anyway due privacy laws. I may try that link tho!

#11 · (Edited)
I did the search of NMVTIS and no record was found. It costs nothing to check for a record, you only pay to get the information available if a record is found.
Some states don't participate, so you should still check with your state MVD.

#13 · (Edited)
It doesn't identify owners. It identifies states where a vehicle has been titled/registered and when. You have to contact the state.

This one told me the odometer wasn't accurate and identified the state as Ohio.

Ohio verified current title and registration after filled out a form with my personal ID after I agreed not to divulge the info. If something happens to the owner or car, Ohio knows where to find me.

Attachments

#15 ·
This likely won't help since the car was initially sold in Illinois, but I'll mention it for general information as it might help those in other states. Here in Oregon we can request a Vehicle Title Report for $22.50. Older VINs are valid. It will not give previous owner's names or their address or city, only the month and year a title was issued. I was able to track my '67 Chevelle from it's original sale to my purchase. I had already found out the last four owners (one owned it two separate times). I'd spoken with three of the previous owners but they couldn't remember specially when they bought the car ... "um, maybe 2012 or 2013, I can't really remember". I wasn't asking for the exact date, but surprised they couldn't recall the specific year. With the title report I was able to connect the information to the previous owners. I find it interesting to know that information.

#20 ·
If you didnt get any satisfaction with the vin search then you must follow the trail which takes a lot of leg work. Start with what happened to it when your father sold it. Who did he sell it to? That sale is approaching 30 years ago. The car could be on the other side of the country or it could have been junked or wrecked.
Due to the covid situation this is not a good time for the following but you could go to car shows in the area that surrounds the person your father sold the car to. Armed with pictures of the car approach Chevelle people and ask if they know anything about that car. It would not be uncommon for the car to be 50, 100, 200 miles away. As I said, lots of leg work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.