Only joined to find my Dad's Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Lost and Found A home for lost and found Chevelle cars or items.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Only joined to find my Dad's Chevelle

I am trying to locate a 1967 Chevelle Malibu that was sold in Northeast IL. I found the bill of sale in some of my Dad's old folders (he was just ok at keeping receipts and stuff). As they are getting on in age, I would like to find the Chevelle that he owned back in the day.

If anyone has information on how to track this down, it would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and thanks for letting me join!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 11:55 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Only joined to find my Dad's Chevelle

Do you have the vin number? Maybe a description would help.
Saltherring likes this.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

The only number I have is:

136177K211069

At the time of him selling it, it was a 1967 Blue Chevelle with a 283 motor.

It had an automatic with a split bench seat. I don't remember the color of the seats cause we had seats covers, but those were a white and blue checkered pattern.

I do remember him trying to do a little rust fix on the driver side mirror, so under the mirror there was an obvious paint correction.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

welcome to the site;
do you know what year the car was sold??
Steve R likes this.

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 2:33 PM Thread Starter

92-94 area

Also, every vin lookup application I try to use says that's not a valid Vin number. Do I have the wrong number?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old May 29th, 20, 4:14 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimos78 View Post
92-94 area

Also, every vin lookup application I try to use says that's not a valid Vin number. Do I have the wrong number?
No, it's just that the lookup applications are for newer vehicles with more characters.

1967 Chevelle VINS

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 1:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Older VINs work on the NMVTIS. My cars (that are registered) show up. And I found a 67 Chevelle that matches an engine that I own. But not all states participate.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 7:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
bob

Have you tried a Title search with the DMV in the state your Dad sold it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 8:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

This link will work with older cars like ours.

https://www.titlecheck.us/about_nmvtis.html

It cost $10.

70 LS5 convertible
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 8:07 AM
Tech Team
John

I tried contacting the Illinois DMV back when I was trying to locate my L78 ‘67 and I was told by the DMV that they didn’t have records back that far, as I recall, plus they won’t share ownership information anyway due privacy laws. I may try that link tho!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 2:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

I did the search of NMVTIS and no record was found. It costs nothing to check for a record, you only pay to get the information available if a record is found.
Some states don't participate, so you should still check with your state MVD.

My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension

Last edited by AZCamino; May 30th, 20 at 3:00 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 6:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage

I wonder if NMVTIS will only give you the last registered owner or will it give you a list of people who registered that car?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 6:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

It doesn't identify owners. It identifies states where a vehicle has been titled/registered and when. You have to contact the state.

This one told me the odometer wasn't accurate and identified the state as Ohio.

Ohio verified current title and registration after filled out a form with my personal ID after I agreed not to divulge the info. If something happens to the owner or car, Ohio knows where to find me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200530_154513622_1590879100528.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	628452  

My Build Thread:

Last edited by AZCamino; May 30th, 20 at 6:53 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 8:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage

I ran mine and all I got was the date it was registered last. Nothing else knew on my end. Mine was registered in 2008 by the guy I got it from this month. It did not list his name or any other owners.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 30th, 20, 9:33 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

This likely won't help since the car was initially sold in Illinois, but I'll mention it for general information as it might help those in other states. Here in Oregon we can request a Vehicle Title Report for $22.50. Older VINs are valid. It will not give previous owner's names or their address or city, only the month and year a title was issued. I was able to track my '67 Chevelle from it's original sale to my purchase. I had already found out the last four owners (one owned it two separate times). I'd spoken with three of the previous owners but they couldn't remember specially when they bought the car ... "um, maybe 2012 or 2013, I can't really remember". I wasn't asking for the exact date, but surprised they couldn't recall the specific year. With the title report I was able to connect the information to the previous owners. I find it interesting to know that information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in