In Search Of.. - Chevelle Tech
Lost and Found A home for lost and found Chevelle cars or items.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Saltherring
  • 2 Post By Alan F
  • 2 Post By Saltherring

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 9:46 AM Thread Starter

In Search Of..

Hello all. I joined this forum to try and find out if a certain car still exists. I have a 396 block from a '66 L-34 dated h 27 5. It is a ribbed 962 4-bolt with a EF suffix code and a early sequence number.
6 k 106474. Is it possible to find a car from this info? It'd be pretty cool to reunite this engine with the correct car. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or suggestions, Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 10:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage
Re: In Search Of..

Yes, it is, if the car still exists, given that '106474' would be the last six digits of the car's VIN.

That car would be a very early Kansas City-built 1966 SS 396/360 HP 4 speed.

Do you have any history on this car, or just the block

Speculating that the car was(or is) a 2 DR couple, the VIN could be 138176K106474. Take that number and $50 to NCRS and they should be able to tell you if it did exist (as a coupe) and perhaps confirm what region it was shipped to and what dealer sold it as a new car.

Good luck, and thanks for stopping by Team Chevelle.
Steve R likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 4:57 PM Thread Starter

I don't have any information on the car. I just thought it would be so cool to contact someone out of the blue and tell them that I have their long lost engine from 50+ years ago and offer it to them.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 8:03 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

There's thousands of us out here that would be grateful if someone would step forward willingly with the pedigree to their car. I hope there is a good story with a happy ending.
LeoP and shovelrick like this.

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 10:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

I did a search for all the possible VINs with that sequence number (hardtop, convertible, and El Camino). No hits came up on the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System. Not all states participate and cars that haven't been registered may not show up. I got lucky and found a car for an engine I own. I obtained owner information and mailed a letter. The owner never responded.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
There's thousands of us out here that would be grateful if someone would step forward willingly with the pedigree to their car. I hope there is a good story with a happy ending.
Exactly what I am hoping for. The journey is just beginning..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 19, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamino View Post
I did a search for all the possible VINs with that sequence number (hardtop, convertible, and El Camino). No hits came up on the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System. Not all states participate and cars that haven't been registered may not show up. I got lucky and found a car for an engine I own. I obtained owner information and mailed a letter. The owner never responded.
Thank You for the effort!!
Your search had to be worth it, despite no answer. Good job 🍻
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

I forgot to mention that I did as Saltherring suggested, five years ago. I got a shipping data report from NCRS / Musclecar Docs. Found out that the car was shipped to dealer code 180 in zone 44, but dealer information was not available. The best I have been able to determine is that the dealer was Fred Hall at 26900 Telegraph Rd. in Flat Rock. But there are other dealers that show that address about that time and dealer names changed often. I have found Van Riper - Hall, Fred Hall, Zwers, and Harrell at that address about the same time.

I plan to do some more follow-up on this and hopefully get the car and engine back together. My engine block is a 1967 L78.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_082850331_1561909632150.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	597006  

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 19, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

A pic of the pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190630_100903_1561910346670.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	597020  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 2:35 PM Thread Starter

Okay, my search efforts are over. I have taken it to my machinist to start the "process". I'm having it pressure checked, magged and possibly bored, but I won't deck it. Full details when I get it back next week, including asking price, once I know my expenses, and list it for sale.

Dave.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 19, 6:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBdave View Post
Okay, my search efforts are over. I have taken it to my machinist to start the "process". I'm having it pressure checked, magged and possibly bored, but I won't deck it. Full details when I get it back next week, including asking price, once I know my expenses, and list it for sale.

Dave.
I would never bore a block unless I had the pistons in hand for it. Let the new owner do that.
Don B and Bonkerman like this.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Saltherring, that's a good point. And since these 962's can be cut multiple times, it's sort of pointless for me to. Thank You.
Dave.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 8:41 AM Thread Starter

I picked up the block from my machinist this week. I had it tanked, (degreased) magged, pressure checked, and cam bearings and plugs removed. No issues whatsoever. I didn't "tumble" clean it because nobody around here can do it, and most people hate trying to remove all the media from the block.

The block is currently @ +.030" and will need bored. No rust or pits in cylinders, just worn. Never decked, has original pad #'s. It is missing a few main cap bolts, but I may have some replacements.

This is a very solid foundation.
Most 962's on Ebay are max bored or sleeved and decked. (and they still want $3,500 - $6,500!!)

I believe that the first 7 months of production of the 961 and 962 castings had the reinforcement ribs front and rear, as does this block. (A desirable visual identifier for Z-16's, '65 Vettes and others)

You just don't find these in this good of condition anymore. My asking price is firm, and would ship from Mishawaka, In. 46545. It will be wrapped and strapped to a pallet. Fastenal is great to work with, but I can deliver to a shipper you work with.
$2,250.00 & you cover shipping costs.
I don't charge to pallet and deliver to a terminal. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in