Worst Case scenario Bucket seat rebuild - Page 7 - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 101 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 3:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Re: Worst Case scenario Bucket seat rebuild

Good deal. I went back to this thread when fixing my seat springs and it was very helpful. Luckily mine were nowhere near as bad. I would have ran from those.
64elkynss and RAMBO like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 4:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

excellent post, Ben! This will give me much more confidence when it comes time to do the interior on my 64, so thank you!
I sold a set of '66 LeMans buckets on Craigslist about 15 years ago for $250. I took the backs and sides off for him so he could see what the frames looked like and he paid me, in advance, an extra $50 to strip them down to the bare frames and picked them up a week later. Smart man, I'd say, probably cheaper to pay me in labor time than his upholstery guy. lol
RAMBO likes this.

Yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight,
I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off,
You know what I'm sayin',
Ahh, you reach down, put it between my legs 'n
ease the seat back,
She's runnin', I'm flyin',
Right behind in the rear view mirror now,
Got the fearin', power steerin',
Pistons poppin', ain't no stoppin' now,
PANAMA!
post #93 of 101 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 19, 12:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
Stuck.
Thanks for responding! Certainly would be hard to find a more deserving thread, IMO.
RAMBO and davewho1 like this.

post #94 of 101 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 19, 7:43 PM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage

Great detailed Thread/post Ben.
You truly are an inspirational person making the tough job go smoothly even for the guys with limited experience in this area!

Makes me want to tear my seats down slowly and see what is hiding there....I know what was in there to start with but it was what evicted the mice when they moved in LOL

I wanted to ask did all you covers come from Legendary?

Love the colour and the great detail!
RAMBO likes this.

1968 Malibu sport coupe to go with
my Barbie wife of the same year!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 101 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
Great detailed Thread/post Ben.
You truly are an inspirational person making the tough job go smoothly even for the guys with limited experience in this area!

Makes me want to tear my seats down slowly and see what is hiding there....I know what was in there to start with but it was what evicted the mice when they moved in LOL

I wanted to ask did all you covers come from Legendary?

Love the colour and the great detail!
Wow, guys I just noticed this had been made a sticky when i got Capt Caseys quote notification! I'm honored!

I probably should update it again as I tore these same seats down again this spring and removed the gold covers and installed black ones instead.
I also pulled the lower buns off to add some additional reinforcement springs after having done the same to some customers seats and I am happy to report that all the custom spring work is holding up well with 2k miles of my 250lb ass on them!
My JB welded cage nut for the track bolt did break loose, but luckily was easy to hold it in place to remove & reinstall with that extra access hole i drilled so all was good!

Capt Casey- the Gold covers shown were all from Legendary Auto Upholstery, however the new black ones I have since installed were TMI buckets & PUI rear (mismatched because I got them lightly used for free)

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #96 of 101 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 6:13 PM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Worst Case scenario Bucket seat rebuild

Hi Ben

Glad I was able to let you see the thread made to a Sticky!

I wondered as I am up in Canada who you prefer to use as I do have access to PUI and others through KMS tools. Thus no or little shipping.
I have heard many swear by Legendary but as I am only looking at doing this once... I was wondering who you prefer. I get when cost is due to gently used Hey I'd go for it too!
But since I need Parchment I'll go new and do the work over winter.

Thanks for posting all this great info Ben

Casey

post #97 of 101 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 19, 6:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Casey View Post
Hi Ben

Glad I was able to let you see the thread made to a Sticky!

I wondered as I am up in Canada who you prefer to use as I do have access to PUI and others through KMS tools. Thus no or little shipping.
I have heard many swear by Legendary but as I am only looking at doing this once... I was wondering who you prefer. I get when cost is due to gently used Hey I'd go for it too!
But since I need Parchment I'll go new and do the work over winter.

Thanks for posting all this great info Ben

Casey
For a 68 like yours, any of the current cover mfgs will be fine.
That would not necessarily be the case for every model year- some MFGs do some years better than others. (69 & 70 chevelle specifically have issues with distinctive and PUI covers)

I would rank cover mfgs like this:
1. Legendary - Heavier weight vinyl, best grain definition, best color match to OEM vinyls, Made in USA.
2. TMI (stock style covers) - Quality cover, has extra sew foam added under vinyl which helps to smooth things out- Made in USA
TIE for 3rd...
3. Distinctive Industries - Made in Mexico
3. PUI - some stuff is made in US, mostly made in china

Legendary & TMI are more expensive and are of a higher quality.
Distinctive and PUI are both "mostly" made outside the US, though some items are made here. These are going to be comparable quality wise & price wise.

More important than the choice in covers is your choice in seat buns- Buy the expensive American Cushion Industry buns (ACI). These are made in the USA and are head and shoulders better than the rest. They are SOFT like the originals were, and they come with the attaching muslin already glued on.

hope this helps!

Ben R.

-

post #98 of 101 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 11:36 AM
Tech Team
Casey

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Worst Case scenario Bucket seat rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
For a 68 like yours, any of the current cover mfgs will be fine.
That would not necessarily be the case for every model year- some MFGs do some years better than others. (69 & 70 chevelle specifically have issues with distinctive and PUI covers)

I would rank cover mfgs like this:
1. Legendary - Heavier weight vinyl, best grain definition, best color match to OEM vinyls, Made in USA.
2. TMI (stock style covers) - Quality cover, has extra sew foam added under vinyl which helps to smooth things out- Made in USA
TIE for 3rd...
3. Distinctive Industries - Made in Mexico
3. PUI - some stuff is made in US, mostly made in china

Legendary & TMI are more expensive and are of a higher quality.
Distinctive and PUI are both "mostly" made outside the US, though some items are made here. These are going to be comparable quality wise & price wise.

More important than the choice in covers is your choice in seat buns- Buy the expensive American Cushion Industry buns (ACI). These are made in the USA and are head and shoulders better than the rest. They are SOFT like the originals were, and they come with the attaching muslin already glued on.

hope this helps!

Ben It sure does!
I just got some contacts about getting some items from PUI.
I would rather wait and get the better materials and when I have the funds than rush ahead and be doing this again sooner than leter.
It is true you get what you paid for!
I'll go with the Made in USA and stay North American.
Keeps the economy going too!

Thanks for that advice again Ben.

Casey

post #99 of 101 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 19, 4:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Quote:
Wow, guys I just noticed this had been made a sticky when i got Capt Caseys quote notification! I'm honored!
Someone mentioned your thread in another post and I was like, wait a minute, that was a great thread, it should be made a "STICKY", so that a lot more people could see it and benefit from it rather than it be buried and eventually purged into oblivion. It's threads like this that add to the DIY car crafting knowledge base and move the hobby forward!

Thanks for sharing!
RAMBO likes this.
post #100 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 19, 6:49 PM
Tech Team
Russell

Quote:
I also pulled the lower buns off to add some additional reinforcement springs after having done the same to some customers seats
What's the effect of adding those springs, and where are they added? Would they be beneficial for lighter-weigh folks?

'68 Chevelle 2dr Ht
'68 Chevy C-20
'05 Suburban
post #101 of 101 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 19, 1:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
What's the effect of adding those springs, and where are they added? Would they be beneficial for lighter-weigh folks?
It adds support directly under and outside of your thighs, so you still sit "in" the seat(not ontop of it).

I would assume they would be just as effective (or more so) for a lighter person. The key is that you aren't changing the support for the front/center springs so you still sit at the same height.
crakarjax likes this.

Ben R.

-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seat cover install , seat foam density

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in