Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 2:05 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Re: Worst Case scenario Bucket seat rebuild

Great write up Ben... Last time I did my seats, I bought the repro spring sets, and the originals weren't as bad as the ones you showed...

I have another set I'd like to work on over the next few months (read that as sometime around 2020), but they have the non-Chevelle upper springs...

If you ever get a chance, I am sure some of us () would love to see some info on "converting" the top of the upper backs to a "Chevelle" profile...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 2:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Great write up Ben... Last time I did my seats, I bought the repro spring sets, and the originals weren't as bad as the ones you showed...

I have another set I'd like to work on over the next few months (read that as sometime around 2020), but they have the non-Chevelle upper springs...

If you ever get a chance, I am sure some of us () would love to see some info on "converting" the top of the upper backs to a "Chevelle" profile...
are they the 66/67 BOP upper springs that make it extra thick along the top edge as opposed to chevelles which were tapered and thinner at the top?

Ben R.

-

post #63 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
are they the 66/67 BOP upper springs that make it extra thick along the top edge as opposed to chevelles which were tapered and thinner at the top?
Yep...

'66 seats (no latches)... I recall you mentioning how, but I can not remember now...

I like to do things myself, so I may try to pick up some of those tools/supplies you had shown in this thread...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #64 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 17, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Yep...

'66 seats (no latches)... I recall you mentioning how, but I can not remember now...

I like to do things myself, so I may try to pick up some of those tools/supplies you had shown in this thread...
The easiest way is to just use hogrings the upper springs to themselves to compress and restrict the height at the top that push it out. The chevelle ones actually have a slightly different design, but the BOP ones will work fine if they are compressed and restricted.

Ben R.

-

post #65 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 17, 1:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Well, Since this thread is about the interior in my car, i suppose i can just keep it going....

How about a little backseat action.
These don't look terrible, but they are (at least they are to me).
Covers are early 90's vintage PUI and on their own they aren't that bad- except that sometime since they were redone mice have stolen almost all the padding between the cover and burlap/jute layer! THey also don't match colorwise well with the original door panels or the new legendary buckets...

Overall their condition isn't terrible, a little rusty, but pretty typical from what i can see, So here we go:

Color difference

A little nasty underneath... but this is pretty typical for most cars this age... Could have been a lot worse!

Pretty sure there should be some cotton here! Its like that for the whole lower cover!!!

Anyway... These are going to piggy back on another set of seat frames going to the sandblaster on Friday, then I'll go ahead and do them up in a week after I finish the customers seats.

I will be using a combination of 2" high resistance foam on the bottom cushion(not what OEM did), and new cotton pad on the top cushion(like OEM), both on top of the usual burlap & jute decking layer.

I'll add 9ga reinforcing rods to the top of the lower cushion to help spread the load and strengthen it. And of course any repairs that may be needed I will show in turn as well.

So I should have more to add in a couple weeks.
:-)
64elkynss and davewho1 like this.

Ben R.

-

post #66 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 17, 6:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Can't wait to see what you do with them foam and reinforcement. I had quite a time with "squishiness" on that rear bottom convertible seat. Ended up reinforcing almost every spring in the seat area.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #67 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 17, 1:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Ew... Back seat was pretty nasty afterall. Going to have some major edgewire replacement for the bottom edge of the upper cushion when it gets back from blasting I think. Pretty thin.Otherwise i think it should be all right.

anyway... In the meantime... i finished my headrests.
Overall i'm happy with how they turned out, but they aren't my best work. I had intended to special order them without the foam lining so that it would be easier to fold the corners over, but I forgot until it was too late. TMI makes the same style headrest covers w/o the foam lining, and they are snap to install and have look good.

Anyway... Here are pics of my process. Again, its not the only way to do it, just the way I did it.

Cracked and broken 69 headrests I've been saving for a while...
Both headrests had similar damage

I sarted by making some cardboard insets to go on the underside of the headrests.
I used an old shoebox because it was non corrigated cardboard. I used contact cement to make it double thick. The idea is that staples don't stay in the bottom of the headrest foam very well, but htey will stick in this stuff great. I used the bottom plastic guardes as a template and made the cardboard peices just a little smaller, then glued them on with contact cement.

Ben R.

-

post #68 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 17, 1:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

I started by heating up the cover in my clothes dryer on hot for 6-7 mins.
Then i layed it out and stuck the headrest in, front side first

I pulled it down until the front corners could fold inward an even ammount on each side

Then i stapled it in place

Now using your fingers, push the vinyl up the front face of the headrest, this will create a ripple in the cover, keep pushing it toward the rear edge.
Do that several times and you will have made the front taut, and will ahve given yourself the material you need for the back side.

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/seat-guy/1080-%201968Chevelle300/IMG_20170723_094855_zpsorvoqacy.jpg[img]

Once i had the back side with enough material to fold the corners over and i was sure it was tight front to back, i stapled the rear edge

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/seat-guy/1080-%201968Chevelle300/IMG_20170723_095820_zpstk2csood.jpg[img]https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-interiors/

Then it was time to work the sides... I pushed them and sliced the cover so it could wrap around the post

Pulled it in and tight and stapled it UNDER the front flap.

The rear corners were where i struggled. WIth that foam sewn onto the inside seams, it made it real thick and hard to fold over. This was the best i got on this side. Luckily this is all invisible once the headrest is on.

another angle
[img]
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb324/seat-guy/1080-%201968Chevelle300/IMG_20170723_100807_zpsacajvy27.jpg[/img]

The other corner looks uglier, but it actually came out better & flatter. Again its invisible once installed

and that is how it looks from the bottom all stapled on.
64elkynss and davewho1 like this.

Ben R.

-

post #69 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 17, 1:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

And there we go! Legendary Headrest covers installed.

And

:-)
64elkynss, mr 4 speed and davewho1 like this.

Ben R.

-

post #70 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 17, 8:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Ben, the head rests look good! Now I know how I will do mine, also thanks for the pics! Terry
RAMBO likes this.
post #71 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 17, 9:14 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

So is that just a single piece of cardboard that the staples just go into? It just seems lime the states will pull out pretty easy? Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 17, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
So is that just a single piece of cardboard that the staples just go into? It just seems lime the states will pull out pretty easy? Jim
Its not corrugated cardboard.
I don't know what you call the stuff, but its a solid single thickness cardboard, which i have then doubled up with high heat contact cement, and it winds up being pretty dense w/o being too thick.

Yes, you can pull the staples out, but it take effort and probably a screwdriver or pic to get under it to get it started out, and thats considerably more effort than the vinyl itself can apply.

Again, this is not the only way to do this, its just the way I do it.

Ben R.

-

post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 17, 9:20 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

it looks great, I was just leary of the staples coming out. but then again theres not much movement on the headrests. Now its time to get to work on my frames. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 18, 1:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Hey I finally finished up my back seat!

I had the frames sandblasted way back in July, I primed them- then they sat on the roof of my car for the next 6 months.

It needed some attention before covers could go on and I just didn't have the time to mess with it.

The edgewire on the lower part of the upper cushion was thin & pitted from rust. the passenger outside edge of the lower frame was completely gonzo- nothing was broken(yet) but the springs & edgewire there were so thin it probably would have broken just from the stress putting the cover on.

Anyway... Finally took a little time for myself over the holiday and knocked it out.
I bent up a new 9ga rod and clamped it in place over the existing lower edgewire for the upper cushion.

I formed up all new outside edgewire for the lower cushion and replaced it and the two outer springs completely with new.

New burlap & jute over the springs. New cotton in the upper cushion. 2" High resistance (53lb) foam in the lower cushion.

Covers are Legendary Auto Interiors same as the front was (Ivy Gold).

Sorry i didn't do much of a write up on the rear seat repairs & recovering process... Was in a bit of a rush to get it done in the time I had and didn't take a lot of pics.

anyway, Just glad to have it done and back in the car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170924_204741.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	508546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171231_002837.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	508554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171231_220705.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	508562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180101_163355.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	508570  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180101_204629.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	508578  

Ben R.

-

post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 18, 2:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Looks like it turned out great. Very nice work.
RAMBO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seat cover install , seat foam density

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in