1966 U80 Rear Speaker Option Info Needed - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 16, 7:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Walt

1966 U80 Rear Speaker Option Info Needed

I'm trying to find more information about the U80 option. I have this factory option on my 66 SS hardtop, however the only thing left at the package tray area is the power lead wire and metal cover on the floor. I'm in the process of trying to obtain the correct components, but I'm lacking some information I hope can be cleared up.

I now have the correct shallow square magnet speaker, (got his from JV Restorations)

Was there a cardboard / jute covering this speaker? If so how was this connected to the speaker, and then what held the cover up to this connector on the speaker?

I think I'm sure on how the speaker and grill were connected, but please comment if I'm wrong. The package tray had the two center "D" shaped holes cut out. The square grill was placed on top with the screws going down though holding the speaker up to the bottom of the package tray with nuts and star washers. (Yes/No) Were the screws painted the same as the grill cover? Or did original grills have studs?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 16, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: 1966 U80 Rear Speaker Option Info Needed

You may want to look at this web-site.Classic Car Speakers I thinkChevy may have gone to a round magnet is the 65 and later Chevelles. As for the rear mounting, the screen was rectangular in 66 and mounted with 4 stainless bolts, I think. There was a special stud that mounted on to the speaker with a stud extending down that the enclosure cover was held on to with a special clip. The cover had kind of a wool insulation and not felt and was made of a cardboard material. The mice love to nest and p... in this enclosure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 16, 1:02 PM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Your question has been hanging around and I decided to search a hundred or so old folders I on my computer with classified ads and auctions. I never realized how little attention people paid to such details apparently. Also the Assembly Manual doesn't detail the rear shelf & speaker (since it details the dash-side of the U80 option and Chevrolet's specific assembly involvement; Fisher Body installed the speaker during body & interior installation phase before Chevrolet got a hold of the body).

It looks like what James said about the stainless bolts is true; they were left unpainted.

I wish I had taken more and better pictures of the 67 Chevelle survivor I saw back in 2001 still in possession of the original owner. It had the U80 rear speaker on it. The car was a documented Canadian Malibu SS coupe with an L30 327, factory 4-speed & disc brakes.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

TC Gold #120

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 16, 6:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

The grille is rectangular with holes near each corner. It is painted generally to match the other metal interior parts (for non-black interior cars the grill should be the lighter hue paint, not the darker dash-top paint).

The speaker has a rectangular magnet if looking at it from below the speaker as mounted. If looking at it from two sides it is oval shaped on that plane.

The basket of a 64-66 speaker is deep dish, not the shallow basket that they switched to in 1967.

The retaining hardware consists of 4 long chrome plated (not stainless) Phillips head machine screws with counter sink heads, inserted from the top, with hex nuts with affixed star washers below. There is also a metal clip which goes on one corner of underneath to ground the speaker basket to the package tray.

The speaker should be enclosed in a paperboard box with jute inside of it. The box is completely rectangular except it has one end slanted at approx. a 45 degree angle. It has a metal bracket that snaps around the speaker magnet to hold it on, and there are no screws holding it on. That is the factory installed speaker enclosure. The dealer installed speaker kit came with a completely different enclosure box which was shaped much differently and attached differently.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 16, 4:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
The grille is rectangular with holes near each corner. It is painted generally to match the other metal interior parts (for non-black interior cars the grill should be the lighter hue paint, not the darker dash-top paint).

The speaker has a rectangular magnet if looking at it from below the speaker as mounted. If looking at it from two sides it is oval shaped on that plane.

The basket of a 64-66 speaker is deep dish, not the shallow basket that they switched to in 1967.

The retaining hardware consists of 4 long chrome plated (not stainless) Phillips head machine screws with counter sink heads, inserted from the top, with hex nuts with affixed star washers below. There is also a metal clip which goes on one corner of underneath to ground the speaker basket to the package tray.

The speaker should be enclosed in a paperboard box with jute inside of it. The box is completely rectangular except it has one end slanted at approx. a 45 degree angle. It has a metal bracket that snaps around the speaker magnet to hold it on, and there are no screws holding it on. That is the factory installed speaker enclosure. The dealer installed speaker kit came with a completely different enclosure box which was shaped much differently and attached differently.

Hope this helps!

I see in the AIM the part number for the speaker is 7294892 and the baffle (paperboard box) is 9776185. I'm finding that this correct baffle is not being reproduced. It would be great for all if someone could post pictures of this baffle both inside and out.

Thanks for all the info.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 16, 5:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Photo's would be nice. These are some photo's from that a guy sold me, he said they were from a 66 Chevelle. Think the grill is correct as it matches Jeff's description. I installed an after market speaker and cardboard enclosure; but used the bracket and clip that I bought with the grill, enclosure, bracket and clip from, whom said they came out of a 66 Chevelle.

Maybe these are from a dealer unit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	400121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0172.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	400129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	400137  

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 16, 7:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Walt

Jeff, I'm finding some confusing information on the correct speaker for the U80 option. You had stated that the 64-66 speaker is a Deep dish. The AIM calls for speaker part # 7294892. All I have been able to find on this part number is shallow type speakers. The pictures attached do have the 7294892 part number, and are shallow type speakers.

When I got my speaker from JV Restorations, Joe told me the shallow type is what he has found in this year when he has removed these from scrapped cars. Deep dish speakers have an improved sound quality over shallow speakers. One would think as the years progress, so would improvements, so then why would a better sounding speaker be in a older year?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	U80 Rear Speaker 3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	400378   Click image for larger version

Name:	U80 6x9 shallow vs deep speaker.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	400386   Click image for larger version

Name:	U80 Rear Speaker 4.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	400394  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 16, 11:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

The 65 p/n is 7282605 and is deep. The 67 p/n is 7300614 and is shallow. You are correct the 66 p/n is 7294892, but my recollection on removing originals was that they were deep like 65's. But I could be remembering wrong and will do some double checking this weekend. I'll also take some pics of an original enclosure box, both mounted and off.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 11:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I was remembering incorrectly. 66 is shallow like 67. But at least I know why I was confused now -- 66 does not have a dust cover and has the visible speaker cone like a 65, so I had it in my head that 66 was the same speaker as 65. See pics below (66 on the left, 67 on the right).

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for straightening me out!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20161113_211259701.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	401258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161113_211313002.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	401266  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 16, 6:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Walt

Jeff, thanks for the pictures to clear this up. Any chance you or anyone else has pics of an original enclosure box, both mounted and off?

Thanks again
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 16, 11:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
I was remembering incorrectly. 66 is shallow like 67. But at least I know why I was confused now -- 66 does not have a dust cover and has the visible speaker cone like a 65, so I had it in my head that 66 was the same speaker as 65. See pics below (66 on the left, 67 on the right).

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for straightening me out!
So, is the mounting of the enclose also different from 66 to 67? The 67 speaker has those two little holes that looks like they fit the later style mounting bracket?

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 16, 8:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I know I have an original 66 box, I think I have a 67 with original rear speaker too. If I remember correctly they are identical. (But with how my memory failed on the speaker I'll wait to confirm that before saying for sure!) I'll get some pics for you first chance I get.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 8:05 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Walt

I was hoping this wouldn't die out, and someone with an original speaker enclosure could post some pictures. Let's see if someone with an original enclosure can open their trunk and take a few pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1055 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.