1966 RPO U14 Gauge Cluster Build - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 9:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

1966 RPO U14 Gauge Cluster Build

I am turning my standard 66 manual gauge cluster to an "SS" RPO U14 cluster.

It seems to get your hands on an original '66 RPO U14 you have to be very lucky finding one and then willing to spend like $600-$700 for a cluster that needs to be rebuilt.

I bought the http://www.shiftworks.com/gauges-ss.htm gauges many years ago, but now I see "correct" metal versions can be had from https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/Pop...D=IN12613V.jpg

I am not sure if I will switch to the metal gauges or not.

The gauges can be bought as repos, but there are many other parts required to do a correct conversion that don't seem to be available, some of these parts have to do with the indicator lenses.

As you can see from this pic: https://i.imgur.com/COZGgRS.jpg The standard idiot light indicators get replaced with a Bright/Brake combination. Not only that, but the light housing inside the cluster should not be divided like this one https://i.imgur.com/N7arU8c.jpg

I did buy an extra standard gauge cluster off eBay that was very rough on the outside, but the internals were good, I plan to modify the indicator lenses with new text, and on the green plastic light housing, removing the center rib.

I have an extra set of original indicator lenses:

https://i.imgur.com/7RuPW6h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XiH5bA6.jpg

I plan to wipe the extra set of indicator lenses clean of the paper backing, glue and old lettering. However, looking at this pic again:

https://i.imgur.com/COZGgRS.jpg

It looks to me that both of those indicator lenses are red, and not red/orange? And the text is black for both?

Can someone with a real RPO U14 gauge cluster confirm that the Bright/Brake indicator lenses are both red with black text? Maybe even get a nice high res pic with the lights on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage
Re: 1966 RPO U14 Gauge Cluster Build

The Bright/Brake indicator lens are both red with black text. You can get them from Hinshaw's. Here is the link: http://hinshawschevelle.com/index.ph..._id=8&Itemid=1
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-SS396 View Post
The Bright/Brake indicator lens are both red with black text. You can get them from Hinshaw's. Here is the link: http://hinshawschevelle.com/index.ph..._id=8&Itemid=1
Oh wow, thx for the link! Makes my build much easier.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 11:03 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Just FYI there is no such thing as a SS gauge dash in 66-67.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
Just FYI there is no such thing as a SS gauge dash in 66-67.
Yeah, that's why I put the SS in quotes. Seems many ppl call it that.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 11:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETD66SS View Post
Oh wow, thx for the link! Makes my build much easier.

You're Welcome.

Last edited by 1967-SS396; Apr 15th, 14 at 11:10 PM. Reason: gramar correction
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-SS396 View Post
You're Welcome.
I just tried to order from their website, it won't let me select a credit card type, and when I tried PayPal it gave me an error saying there was a problem with the vendor's PayPal account.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 11:25 PM
Tech Team

If your still looking for an original cluster I might be willing to part with mine. I can take pictures with the car running so you can see all the gauges properly working before I remove it. Mine is also a floor shift manual transmission so it does not have the gear indicator on it. I am going to use the Dakota digital dash when I upgrade to Ls1/T56.

66 Aztec Bronze Convt M-20 350
2007 Trailblazer SS
87 Sea Ray Pachanga
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTP66 View Post
If your still looking for an original cluster I might be willing to part with mine. I can take pictures with the car running so you can see all the gauges properly working before I remove it. Mine is also a floor shift manual transmission so it does not have the gear indicator on it. I am going to use the Dakota digital dash when I upgrade to Ls1/T56.
Yeah, that would be cool to see those pics, and could be interested in the unit, thanks.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 14, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Gene,

Thanks for the link to the "Parts Place" gauges... I have an old set of stock gauges, and it looks like I might just go this route instead of the Shiftworks set... I think I have an old Shiftworks set somewhere...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 14, 9:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lance

Garage

Quote:
I just tried to order from their website, it won't let me select a credit card type, and when I tried PayPal it gave me an error saying there was a problem with the vendor's PayPal account.
Give them a call. More times than not, I have had to order over the phone. They are always friendly, and helpful.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 15, 6:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTP66 View Post
Still might want to sell your RPO U14?

My 1966 SS396 Project:

1972 GTO:
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 9:27 PM
Tech Team
Jimmy

Garage

Just checked with Hinshaws and they no longer have the indicator lense sets, any idea where to find them?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 15, 9:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy S View Post
Just checked with Hinshaws and they no longer have the indicator lense sets, any idea where to find them?
Nope, the one's I got from there were not usable, they were junk IMO. I'll probably just have to make my own. Still trying to find the correct translucent red plastic.

My 1966 SS396 Project:

1972 GTO:
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old May 1st, 15, 9:22 AM
Tech Team
Jimmy

Garage

Quote:
Nope, the one's I got from there were not usable, they were junk IMO. I'll probably just have to make my own. Still trying to find the correct translucent red plastic.
Ugh... Keep me posted if you decide to make some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1295 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.