Headliner Install - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes
  • 1 Post By augy

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 02, 9:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am attempting my first headliner installation, and have run into a question. After finally getting the correct headliner I have noticed that it is about 6 inches wider than the car. And the white fabric loop that the bow goes through extends almost all the way to the ends. Do I need to cut the fabric loop to length first so that the headliner will not bunch up in the middle? Other than that it doesn't look like it will be too bad of a job.

------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
2001 Grand Prix GT
Aces #2424
http://www.geocities.com/elliboom/Ma...l?994781720927
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 7:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Hello

Yes you will need to cut the bow loops some..
They need to be about and inch or so back
from where the bow goes into the roof. Trim
alittle at a time. Also I highly recommend using a glue gun to adhere the headliner edgers to the roof.
During assembly don't be reluctant pull
pretty hard on the headliner. Pull at the
seams then inbetween them.
One other final thing to do is set the
headliner out in the sun awhile prior to assembly. It will be much easier to work.
Have Patience and Good Luck

Just took alook at your website...Nice work and nice ride!!
------------------
best regards
Importtech

[This message has been edited by Importtech (edited 07-15-2002).]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 9:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the reply. I did set the headliner out in the driveway and let it heat up good. The fold marks came out of it somewhat, but not totally. I Went ahead and cut the bow loops like you said, but my next question is that it doesn't seem like the bows want to pull the headliner up high enough. Do the bows flatten out when the headlier is installed, or should they still almost touch the roof near the center? Also what type of glue did you use from a glue gun. I bought some headliner blue in a can, but I do have a glue gun, but it just has those sticks that come with the gun. Again thanks for the help and the kind words about the car.

------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
2001 Grand Prix GT
Aces #2424

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 02, 8:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Mat

Your bows might be sagging alittle.. You can
buy replacement bows if you think it might
be necessary. Dont worry too much about the
folds...Mine had them even after I finished the job but a few days in the sun took care of them. You can also carefully use alittle heat and or steam if necessary. The headliners have a way of shrinking anyway so they kinda shrink to form after a few days.
Yep I just used the regular old glue sticks. I had headliner glue also since I do some upholstery work on the side but I like the hot glue cause it dries so fast. You can run a small bead of glue pull it like you want it and hold it for a second or two and it will stay put. You can also pull it loose if necessary to readjust if you need to..
My bows were not hugging the roof either but after the headliner was pulled front to back it looked pretty good.

------------------
best regards
Importtech
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 7:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I think my fornt two bows have lost a little spring to them. But I think I can fix that by screwing a 1/8" thick spacer under them right above the hole where they fit into the body. The rear 3 bows were fine. I am very surprised with how it is turning out so far. I tried the hot melt glue on the sail panel covers and it worked like a charm. Thank you for the tips.

------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
2001 Grand Prix GT
Aces #2424
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 02, 1:02 PM

ELLI, If you don't mind- when your finished, Post your tips for success on installing your new headliner. I have the same task ahead of me later on this summer ('70 chevelle) Thanks.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 16, 10:12 PM
Rick

Re: Headliner Install

Ok here goes my first try at replying to a thread. My install will be on a 64 2dr. Sedan. (Not like hdtp.) First question:
1) I have (4) steel bows, each w/paint for marking location, need to know where each one goes. Also (1) wire bow which I believe goes in the middle.
2) No longitudinal support, only support in middle where dome light mounts.
3) Does the headliner glue to the area just behind the windshield? I see no place to wrap it around an edge and clamp it for glueing like on the sides.
4) Haven't looked at the rear window yet to see if it is similar to front.
5) What holds bows in place on this type setup? Tension, missing clamps, or ?
Hope I have posted this in the correct place!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 7:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

First off, you have added to a thread that was started 14 years ago. It's better to start a new thread with your questions when the other ones get to be that old. You're forgiven though, because you just joined....

To answer your questions:
1) The paper-covered wire bow does attach to the roof support with "teeth" that stick out from the support. Not sure on a '64 sedan, but the dome light should be behind the roof support, and those teeth are in front of it. You start hanging the headliner by hooking the wire bow over those teeth through small slits in the bow sock, then bending them up carefully with a hammer so the bow can't come loose. The other steel bows should have been numbered when removed from the old headliner, but it sounds like they weren't. Maybe someone else will know in which order the paint markings refer to. Each bow should be a slightly different length and curvature. Generally, the shorter straighter bows go to the front and then they get longer and more curved as they go rearward to match the curve of the roof. You should be able to match them to their corresponding holes in the side of the roof by trial and error before you install them into the new headliner. Then number them with masking tape.
2) Correct, no longitudinal support except the bow that hooks onto the teeth.
3) Again, not sure on your car, but many GM mid-60s cars have a tack strip that is stapled or screwed to the roof behind the windshield. You may have to install new tack strip so you can staple the new headliner to it.
4) The rear window should be similar to the front with the tack strip ahead of the window.
5) Most GM cars up to the mid 60's just used tension to hold the headliner bows in place. Later 60's cars had a plastic clip in the center of each bow to hold it up there.

Other members on TC should be able to get more specific on your '64. My answers are from general experience with 50's and 60's GM cars.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 9:30 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

There is a sticky in this forum that will answer all your questions.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 6:02 PM
Rick

augy, thanks for tip about posting new thread. I thought about doing that but talked myself out of it. (Wrong) Thanks also for info on my headliner questions, all makes sense. I felt like I was missing a way to attach headliner at rear window and windshield and the tack strips you talk about must be the answer, I'll start searching for some.
Thanks again.
Rick
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 6:11 PM
Rick

blm, you're right. Started reading stickys about headliner installs and found a lot of useful info. Thanks for the tip.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 7:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gasser View Post
the tack strips you talk about must be the answer, I'll start searching for some.
Rick
You probably won't find repro tack strips. What we use here in the upholstery shop are neoprene rubber strips, available through upholstery supply houses. For the windshield and rear window, the 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide strips work perfectly as factory replacements. The original factory strips were a pressed cardboard material that was okay when new, but after 50 years they tend to disintegrate and won't hold a staple any longer. The neoprene ones will last forever. We remove all the factory staples with a side cutter pliers, then drill new 7/32"holes about 4" apart and use #6 x 1/2" sheet metal screws to attach the neoprene strips in the same area as the factory staple holes. Kind of time-consuming, but makes an excellent tack strip to staple the new headliner to, front and rear. And the nice thing about it is, if you need to tighten up the headliner, you just remove your staples, pull the headliner tighter, and re-staple.
DJsSS likes this.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 16, 4:21 PM
Rick

Thanks again for the info on the tack strips. In my mind I was thinking metal strips, surprised that the factory ones were cardboard! I'll start searching upholstery supply shops for the neoprene material.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 16, 6:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

We buy it from newstalgiaparts.com

Type "3/16 tack strip" in their search box.

In my post #12, I stated it is 1/4" thick x 1/2" wide. My bad....it's really 3/16" x 1/2".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1024 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.