70 El Camino dash SS vs non SS - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Are the SS and non SS dashes interchangeable with each other? I have an SS dash in my El Camino that needs refinishing and the speedo doesn't work. In addition, someone before me cut the lower portion of the radio opening for a non original radio, but when I got it what looks like the original AM radio is there. I recently put a T56 6 speed in w/electronic speedometer and would like to change the dash face to Autometer tach, electronic speedo, and guages. The cost to restore my dash, buying the electronic to cable speedo conversion and put a clock in the original dash appear to be about equal to a replacement dash and new Autometer instruments. I am not too fond of trashing the original dash in case I want to put it back in the future, so I'm looking to find a relatively inexpensive dash assembly and modify the instrument face to put in the above instrumentation. Would a non SS dash from what? years Chevelle/El Camino fit right in assuming I do the aftermarket instrumentation? What would I expect to pay for a dash and in what condition? Or are there electronic speedos which would mount in my dash with no dash face mods? My dash has a tach, guages, and no clock. Thanks for any help. David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 6:26 PM
KAA
Senior Tech Team
Keith

All I can tell you is that the SS and non SS dashes are interchangeable. Chevelles, El Caminos got the same dashes. The wiring may be a little different but the mounting points are the same.

Keith

'70 El Camino SS 396 L78

Chevy High Performance Feature
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 03, 6:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Hey Keith-
I've been over drooling over your pics of your elky again...

What kind of tail pipes are you running? Do you have any, or are they dumped at the mufflers?

How much are you planning to drop the car now that you've got the 17"s on it?

Should be cool!!!! I Love that car!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 03, 9:47 AM
KAA
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Thanks! When was the last time you looked at the pics? I just added about 30 more.

I do have tail pipes. They tuck up so you can't see them. It's the Flowmaster American Thunder system.

I put 2" dropped springs in the rear and it looks like that will be perfect. I have QA1 coil overs in the front and may drop the front a little but I'm waiting until I get all the weight back in the car.

Keith

'70 El Camino SS 396 L78

Chevy High Performance Feature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5814 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.