69 door panels- fully assembled - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 02, 9:31 AM Thread Starter

Could I get your opinion(s) on the plastic top rail verses the metal ones?

I lean toward the metal for length of service. The car will be garaged, thereby minimizing the rust problem.

Thanks

------------------
Texas_Tom 69 Coupe in progress, in progress, in progress ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 5:25 PM
Tech Team

This is a topic I may be able to answer.
Yes there is a big difference between top shelf unassembled door panels and the fully assembled ones. It's not just the plastic rails. I looked at the unassembled version and was very impressed with the origionality of the panel. It had the hard rigid inserts like the factory, very nice chrome, super nice panel. But I was not to sure on doing the work. So, I oppted for the assembled ones, which as always, were not in stock. Well, when they showed up, they where assembled all right but with the "low end" "bottom shelf" panels, all inserts where now pressed cotton & poly, already peeling chrome at the tight bent corners and did not look like the origionals at all. Right back they went and I WAS NOT HAPPY AT ALL. So in my honest opinion, if your just looking for a cheap way out, that's the way to go. But, if not, stay away from the assembled panel.
It was alot more work and I had to sand and paint the metal tops to get all the rust off, but man do they look good.
I had to buy new window fuzzies too the unassembeled ones don't come with anything. I wish I knew how to post a pic. I hope this helps.

------------------
"69" CAMARO SS-350-4
"72" MALIBU SPORT COUPE 350
"76" ELCAMINO 350
"91" RS T-TOP 350
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

John Dane,

You input was clear and very much appreciated. Thanks

------------------
Texas_Tom 69 Coupe in progress, in progress, in progress ....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 02, 11:49 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage
John, email me and I can post the pic for you, or get you through the process if you would liek a hand. Thanks for the info too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 02, 12:27 PM

Hey John,

Were those PUI pre-assembled panels you are talking about or some other brand ?

I've got PUI seat covers & pre-assembled door panels on the way so just wondering.

I'm very picky anyway and would not be happy if they look like what you described. In that case, I will send them back too.

Thanks
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 1:52 AM
Tech Team

Here's my .02. Personally working in a classic shop, I've seen hundreds of door panels. PUI is the best (www.pui.cc) and yes, the assembled versions come with a plastic rail, and yes *sometimes* they can come with a more undesired look to them. But... for every single bad panel I've seen, I've also seen 20 good one's. And PUI, has some of the best service for returning items, from a dealer standpoint.

As for choosing between Un-Assem vs. Pre-Assem.... it comes down to are you willing to do the work and hope you can have it come out right OR willing to take the chance that the assembly is not quite right.

Personally, ask the company your ordering from to personally inspect the panels, and if they decline, have them ship it COD, so if they're undesireable, you simply refuse the shipment, and you're not out "return" shipping costs... If you're still having problems, email me personally, and I'll set you up with a great set of panels.

FYI - If you call PUI, Donna is THE best to talk to, she's been there for a long time. Ashley would be second.

Hope this helps in some small way!

------------------
-Andrew
[email protected]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 02, 12:25 PM
Tech Team

No problem guys 64SS_bobb Yes they were P.U.I. door panels but apparently they have 2 levels of production. That's what PMO, the gold edition is factory the replacment and is not offered fully assembled. The fully assembled version is a low quality aftermarket replacement door panel that IMO should not be ofered by P.U.I. The seat covers on the other hand are incredable I cant believe how good they fit and look. Thumbs up
Thanks Bow_tied I will do that
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 11:17 AM
Team Member

Several posts on this site have recommended using only Hinshaws for interior items.

Any further input on their company?

------------------
Team Members #341

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 4L60 (Non Computer) W/Lokar Shifter, 12 Bolt Posi.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 02, 1:39 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

If anybody needs a pass side only new, in the wrapper PUI unassembled black door panel for a '69 hdtp-conv, I've got one for sale in the "Parts For Sale" area. I only needed the driver side one.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6549 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.