Door Panel How to - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 11, 11:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Re: Door Panel How to

Don't know if you guys noticed but Michael posted this in 2009. This is an old thread. I see he hasn't posted anything since June 2009. Thanks for bringing it back up. Good info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 11, 9:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Michael

Glad to see this post as being helpfull. It has been a while since I posted it. I was trying to buy my uncle's original owner 69 SS but when that fell through, I quit visiting so much. I am actually a Trans Am guy for many years and frequent Transamcountry.com all the time if anyone has a question feel free to PM me and I will try to help out.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 11, 5:09 AM
Tech Team
Supawat

Can someone tell me where can I get a full set of rails (front&rare) for my 1968 Chevelle 2 door coupe? As I live in Thailand, no way I can find it here. Can I build them from metal sheet? Please advice, Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thailand Best Vacation Resident for Retirees.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything you wanna know about retire in Thailand

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 11, 11:55 AM
Paul

Thanks for posting, Michael. I'm new to the site and this was one of the bigger projects I wanted to do. This will help me out a lot, great information.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 11, 10:13 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Killer post. I will applying these techniques very soon.
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 11, 9:58 AM
Josh

while this is a sticky hopefully someone can answer this. For the vapor barrier sheet what kind of adhesive should be used? factory used the tacky tar like stuff but i cant reuse it. You guys have any advice?
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 11, 11:39 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrskblx125 View Post
while this is a sticky hopefully someone can answer this. For the vapor barrier sheet what kind of adhesive should be used? factory used the tacky tar like stuff but i cant reuse it. You guys have any advice?

I use 5/16 butyl tape I think its what the factory used back then too
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 11, 10:37 PM
Tech Team
Andy

Excellant right up.I used those little squese clamps to hold in palce while riviting.I did mine in supervision with a friend that is a upholterer and after one door panel I did the other one then ordered my quarter ones and did them a couple a days later by my self.Any way you can save a little is just more money for youre project.
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 11, 9:36 AM
Jason

What is the difference between using steel pop rivits and aluminum pop rivits? Thanks!
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 12, 6:00 PM
Team Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to wambams69ss396

after buying my interior kit from Ausleys in Nov 2010 i am finally getting around to installing it.i read this sticky to help me with some pointers on installing my door panels.
now my panels already came preassembled but they where missing the metal clips on the back of the door panel cardboard.also the there was no holes at the bottom of the panel for the 4 screws that attach the panel to the door.i did not like the thought of having to measure, mark each point and then transfer that to the back of the panel.if i had any error in my measurements then my attachment points would be off.plus the cardboard cut-outs on the back also seem off at some attachment points.so dont just cut then out and think they are in the correct location.you wont be happy if you do.
so after giving it some thought this is what i came up with.it worked prefect and i think it will help you also.

i installed new soft plastic clip holders into the door.

next i marked all points of attachment with rolled up piece of painters tape and stuck on a thumb tack to all points.

next i installed the door panel onto the door and lined it up to where i wanted it.i then pushed/pressed around the edge of the door panel but not to hard enough to push the thumb tack all the way through.this will mark every point prefectly with no second guessing.

after removing the thumb tacks.i used a awl to punch a hole through 4 bottom screw attachment points.

next i removed the little cardboard cut-outs and then slid the metal clips into the correct location.i also used some contact cement here to better hold the clips in place.

after i installed the door panel i moved on to the armrest base.now one of the holes for this was way off and had to measure the other door to find the location of the hole.as you can see here it was off by more then a inch.once again using my awl to find the hole in the door.

here is the door panel completely installed.

i hope this helps every one out as it did me .

good luck.
billy

wambams69ss396
69ss396 chevelle HT
57E fathom green
bench seat w/dark green interior
396 325hp
3.73 posi

69SS396 chevelle convertible
71A lemans blue
bench seat w/parchment interior

TC#3512
Billy M
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 12, 8:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Aaron

My door panels were mistakenly thrown away so I dont have the metal insert(upper rail) at the top anymore. Anywhere I may be able to pick these up or do I need to find an old set somewhere and rob them? Thanks

Aaron
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 13, 6:24 PM
Chris

We make a complete new panel that almost anyone can install. If you dont have your original parts and want something cool check them out on our store. Shopfesler.com

I can post up some pics if the thread owner is OK with it. or I can email them to him and he can do it. he might like them if he owns a shop.

Chris Fesler
Fesler Built

602-953-8944

feslerbuilt.com
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 13, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

What happened to the pictures?

Dave

1969 Chevelle 460, 3.73 posi
Auto Gear Super Case with M22 gears
12.11 @108 mph
Top speed 114.23
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 13, 7:40 PM
Tom

Along with a lot of the door panels the vendor recommends that you purchase what looks like a sheet of plastic that protects is supposed to help prevent water damage. Have you seen those and are they worth it?

Thanks!
Tom
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 13, 7:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Pud's Boy I sent you a PM about some steel upper rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 386 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.