Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 1:37 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Re: Bench to Bucket Conversion Diagram

Yes, 4-speed cars recieved a seprate hump. Everyone that sends a pic showing the measurment never shows the exact measurment or from where they measured? It has to be exact. Below is a pic of a 4-speed hump showing what you asked.

Owner 70 LS6 Clone Resto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 3:38 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Ken,
Is that from a 70-72 car?
The Buick from the same years had the opening more to the LH side & was a completely
different animal from what you've shown. I made contact with a Buick 4 speed guru I know. I'll let you know his reply. I'm sure he'll do anything in his power to help out another car nut.

Steve Craig
'71 Buick Skylark 350-4V

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 3:48 PM
Tech Team
Ken

70 Chevelle

Owner 70 LS6 Clone Resto

post #64 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 4:08 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Ken,
Friend is familiar with the Buick 4 speeds only. Couple pics attached will show quite a difference. One is from a '69 GS400 showing floor pan & hump.70-72 are the same. Second is the consolette option around the shifter boot & a short storage console that goes between the bucket seats. I have a shorty storage console in my car. It's auto shift on the column with bucket seats. The centre portion of the consolette was available with factory tach., I don't believe the smaller guages are factory.
Linkages are likely also quite different as the mount to the LH side of the trans.. Chevelle linkages have an offset to them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69_Buick_GS_400 (576 x 432).jpg
Views:	488
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	21346   Click image for larger version

Name:	cons (654 x 720).jpg
Views:	473
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	21347  

Steve Craig
'71 Buick Skylark 350-4V

post #65 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 4:51 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Ya, not even close

Owner 70 LS6 Clone Resto

post #66 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 11:14 PM
Tech Team
Al

Ok, "Crazychevelleman" here we go again about my brackets being WRONG. I know they are not set up as someones diagram shows. The diagam was helpful though. The long bracket might be an inch back too far as well. But this is what worked for me! If I went as the diagram showed my seats rocked. This is what worked for me. Let me ask you a question. When I put my seats in, if they clear the seat belts, shifter column and slide back and forth is it still wrong???
Al

72 Chevelle SS Clone.
Engine, 350
12 Bolt Rear End
Eaton Posi 3.90 gears
Transmission 700R4 3000 stall
Work still in progress
Pics

Restoration website

post #67 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 09, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Sorry to offend you! Please, forgive me! However the Factory did not do it this way, it is wrong. But like you said, its working for you, but It don't mean its right.

Let me ask you a question that dont pertain to this. Say for instance a man works at a company and steals a little from them over a period of 20 years, The Lord said, "thou shalt not steal", and when he stands before the Lord he is rewarded acording to his work here! the reward for Sin is Death in hell, without Jesus christ's atoning sacrafice this man has no hope. It worked for him but it did not make it right.

See my point.

Your tracks

Here is what I think happend: Below is a pic of the seat tracks Note: (A) Is taller than (B) it is possiable to get this turned arround! By doing so, your seat would rock or wobble, you would have to use the Small Bracket at the rear of the mounting point Like you did! The way to tell is this: If you have the seat adjuster knob pointing toward the door on the outside of the seat, the 1 hole (Taller leg) should point to the front and mount to the one stud on the bracket. the 2 holes (Smaller leg) to the rear using the outer most hole. The inside track should be the same as the adjuster track. when you pull the leaver to adjust the seat, siting in the seat the Lever should pull foward not to the rear. This was designed to give the seat a slight recline. I think if you re-check you will find the problem, Just trying to help brother.

Original Track Location

[/QUOTE]

Owner 70 LS6 Clone Resto

Last edited by crazychevelleman; Jun 6th, 09 at 10:38 AM.
post #68 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 09, 11:35 AM
Tech Team
Al

No, I don't see what your anlogy has to do at all with the subject?? But thanks for the help.
Al

72 Chevelle SS Clone.
Engine, 350
12 Bolt Rear End
Eaton Posi 3.90 gears
Work still in progress
Pics

Restoration website

post #69 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 09, 11:57 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Al,
Have a look at the Buick site referred to earlier. In it you will find a number of floor pan photos from a factory bucket seat car. I converted my own & have also "been there - done that".
One thing to remember is that the rear outboard mount- hole in the floor - gets re used.This is a common anchor for both bench & buckets. My sketch is at the end & it may help in positioning the brackets before they get welded down.

Steve Craig
'71 Buick Skylark 350-4V

post #70 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 09, 12:02 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane918 View Post
No, I don't see what your anlogy has to do at all with the subject?? But thanks for the help.
Al
Really?
It make sense to me.
There has to be a reason why installing the brackets in their proper place cause the seats to rock otherwise everybody would have rocking seats.

post #71 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 09, 2:15 PM
Tech Team
Al

Really? See you guys don't understand that I could give a damm if the set up is right or wrong. Your "right way" did not work for me, my wrong way did

72 Chevelle SS Clone.
Engine, 350
12 Bolt Rear End
Eaton Posi 3.90 gears
Work still in progress
Pics

Restoration website

post #72 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 09, 2:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to 69 Daytona Yellow 3 Speed

Quote:
Really? See you guys don't understand that I could give a damm if the set up is right or wrong. Your "right way" did not work for me, my wrong way did

Wow...

Tony

33 Years of ownership, thanks dad !
Im real, my car is real and i have a tag line i dont hide nothing.
My 1969 Mellow Daytona Yellow SS396, 3 Speed, Bench Seat, Original Paint "Survivor".

Press 1 for English
Press 2 for Deportation
post #73 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 09, 10:36 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
If you don't want it done right, that's cool, what ever works for you, it's your car.

You could or you couldn't give a damn?

post #74 of 186 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 09, 5:45 PM
Tech Team

here is a link to seat brackets. I havent tried them so I don't know if this would be pertinent to anyone or not.

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...html?3593=4554
post #75 of 186 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 09, 8:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

I installed my buckets today after removing the old bench seat.

I took a number of images that may help out other is the conversion bracket placement.

The seats are from a 68 Buick Skylark, they will need recovering and restored but wanted to get things in place.

Here's a link to the installation pictures

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1325 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.