Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 186 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 09, 1:24 PM
Tech Team
Al

Re: Bench to Bucket Conversion Diagram

Just got the seat brackets welded on. The diagram was a good reference but didn't work for me. I also had to put the little bracket in the back of the seat apposed to the front. If not the seat would have rocked. I did give myself 1/2 inch clearance from the seat belt retractor. That info was good to know. If I had gone exactly by the diagram it would have pushed my seats to close to the console. I just figure those old cars and seats weren't all built exactly the same. In the end we had to do what worked for my car. Just thought I would put some more pics up for other references.

Al

72 Chevelle SS Clone.
Engine, 350
12 Bolt Rear End
Eaton Posi 3.90 gears
Transmission 700R4 3000 stall
Work still in progress
Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restoration website

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dean; Mar 27th, 15 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Removed Spam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 186 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 9:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Travis

Garage

Other links were much more helpful. Looks like the console is the easy part. I have conversion brackets I bought I dont need? Anyone need some they are NIB.

1970 Chevelle
post #48 of 186 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 6:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Weldon

I have a set of aftermarket seats (Procar Scat buckets) that have their own brackets. Do I still need the bench to bucket conversion brackets for the inside seat track to mount to?
Is the situation that here is no provision under the floor to attach the inner seat tracks to? I have set the Procar brackets on the floor and they seem to set properly flat.
I haven't contacted Procar about it. Guess that should have been my first move.
I do have a set of original 64 seats but they were in such condition that it was more expensive to overhaul them than buy new ones and since this Elky is not to be a concours entrant, I just bought the new seats.
Thanks for the information.

Weldon

64 El Camino
67 Mercury Cougar
66 Chrysler 300
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide

Team Chevelle #5157

post #49 of 186 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 2:07 PM
Ruben

i have a 1972 monte carlo im trying to find bucket seats for it. the interior color code is 753 which is dark saddel. i also want to know if the seats will mount with out any modifications. are the mounting holes already in the floor pannel.
post #50 of 186 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 2:10 PM
Ruben

where did you pick up the brackets.
post #51 of 186 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 11:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane918 View Post
Just got the seat brackets welded on. The diagram was a good reference but didn't work for me. I also had to put the little bracket in the back of the seat apposed to the front. If not the seat would have rocked.
Al
Al...the seat tracks get bolted down tight, there is no way for them to rock unless the seat track to seat bolts are loose.

I am also wondering if you have the long brackets on the wrong side...

The long drivers bracket should go on the pass side...the long pass bracket goes on the drivers side...

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #52 of 186 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 11:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

the more i look at the pic the more I think they are wrong...the long bracket has a slanted side...that slant goes in that little dip in the floor...

little bracket should work up front...

New oil is cheaper than new parts
post #53 of 186 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 09, 12:44 AM
Tech Team
Al

You know it's a tough one. All I can say is we back and forth I don't how many times trying to get the right fit. We first tac welded the brackects as the diagram showed and it just didn't fit right. The way we set it up was the best fit? I know the seat gets bolted down but when we did so it leaned to one side by about 2 inches. The seat fits level the way we set it up?? If the column fits when I get it in and the seat clears the seat belt retractor then all is good. If not back to the drawing board. As soon as we get it painted then I'll be putting the interior back together and I will definitely let evryone know how it fit. If we screwed up I'll be the first to let everyone know.... Here is a look at the car so far
http://www.72malibu.com Current pic's are in the body and paint links.
Thanks
Al

72 Chevelle SS Clone.
Engine, 350
12 Bolt Rear End
Eaton Posi 3.90 gears
Transmission 700R4 3000 stall
Work still in progress
Pics

Restoration website

post #54 of 186 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 09, 2:04 AM
Tech Team
joe

so how to fix thetilting problem ? I have the same problem with mine joe
post #55 of 186 (permalink) Old May 31st, 09, 12:57 AM
Tech Team
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane918 View Post
Just got the seat brackets welded on. The diagram was a good reference but didn't work for me. I also had to put the little bracket in the back of the seat apposed to the front. If not the seat would have rocked. I did give myself 1/2 inch clearance from the seat belt retractor. That info was good to know. If I had gone exactly by the diagram it would have pushed my seats to close to the console. I just figure those old cars and seats weren't all built exactly the same. In the end we had to do what worked for my car. Just thought I would put some more pics up for other references.

Al
I know this is an old post but, Shane your set up is wrong! here is how it should look! Your long inner brackets are too far back and the outer bracket is on the back side and it should be on the front.

Owner 70 LS6 Clone Resto

Last edited by Dean; Mar 27th, 15 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Removed Spam
post #56 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 09, 3:13 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Not about to say anyone knows it all but go here:
www.buickperformance.com
Enter the site & look for the articles on bench to buckets or floor shifter install.
I posted a sketch there a few years ago for the bucket seat mounts. Dimensions taken from a '70 Olds. All dimensions are based on the rocker trim screw holes (4), common position to all the A- body GM cars.

Steve Craig
'71 Buick Skylark 350-4V

post #57 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 09, 3:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Send a message via AIM to 69 Daytona Yellow 3 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Craig View Post
Not about to say anyone knows it all but go here:
www.buickperformance.com
Enter the site & look for the articles on bench to buckets or floor shifter install.
I posted a sketch there a few years ago for the bucket seat mounts. Dimensions taken from a '70 Olds. All dimensions are based on the rocker trim screw holes (4), common position to all the A- body GM cars.

Here is the link http://www.buickperformance.com/buckconsole.htm
This is the a good article. We need a sticky for this please !

Tony

33 Years of ownership, thanks dad !
Im real, my car is real and i have a tag line i dont hide nothing.
My 1969 Mellow Daytona Yellow SS396, 3 Speed, Bench Seat, Original Paint "Survivor".

Press 1 for English
Press 2 for Deportation
post #58 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 09, 4:14 PM
Tech Team
Steve

George is very knowledgeable in the A-body Buicks. He's helped/saved the day for me & countless others in our hobby.
These cars are very similar to the A-body Chevelle, many many parts interchange.
I can post the original sketch I made here should someone know where it should be set up as a sticky.

Steve Craig
'71 Buick Skylark 350-4V

post #59 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 12:22 PM
Tech Team
Ken

Thats Great for an automatic car what about a 4-speed, I have yeat to see measurments for that. When you do no one gives them correct.
I know the seat measurments are the same, but the 4-speed tunnel and console bracket measurment is what I am looking for.

Owner 70 LS6 Clone Resto

post #60 of 186 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 09, 12:43 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Did the Chevelle get a separate factory welded hump/flat spot on the trans. tunnel for the 4 speed set-up?
A few members I know of have 4 speeds in their Buicks & recall them positioning that piece of sheetmetal. Let me know about the separate piece & I can ask the question. Just as easily I can hook you up with a Buick owner & the two of you can do this directly.

Steve Craig
'71 Buick Skylark 350-4V

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1259 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.