LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #91 of 280 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 08, 1:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage
Re: Headliner install write-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevro36 View Post
I finished installing mine yesterday and the hardest part was at the back rod down to the sail panel's,trying to get it to look smooth were it come's down to the sail panel's was hard.Next is a nother hard part like you all have been talking about,trying to find the hole's for the seat belt clip's on top and the dome light.I just received my new mirror and dome light and will be trying to get all of that in this coming week.Wish me luck..............

I don't know what Chris will say about this but on my first side I realized it was going to be a PETA to find those holes so I pulled the glue loose and marked the holes with a black felt pen.

I kinda like the idea of putting the screws in first but it may hold the fabric out some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 280 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 08, 4:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

Putting the screws in helps alot, or if you know roughly where things go, you can gently poke around until you find the holes. The visor, for example, have a large hole in the middle (easy to find) so you take a blunt tool (I used one end of some needle nosed pliars that wasnt too sharp)

Chris White
post #93 of 280 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 12:22 AM

your headliner looks great. I have a 72 and need photos or diagrams on the installation of shoulder straps on the seat belts.

post #94 of 280 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 08, 10:04 PM

That's what I'm fix'n to try.I need some picture's of the top of the car with no headliner where the dome light goes.It is even harder to find the dome light hole's.
post #95 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 7:16 PM
Tech Team

Great info from this forum. Was just wondering if im going to run into problems with my front and rear glass still installed? Can I use small clips? I hope to take on this project on my 70ss soon thanks...
post #96 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 08, 8:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelless414 View Post
Great info from this forum. Was just wondering if im going to run into problems with my front and rear glass still installed? Can I use small clips? I hope to take on this project on my 70ss soon thanks...

Yes, you can use small clips. Its a little more difficult, but it can be done with the same results

Chris White
post #97 of 280 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 8:29 PM

After lurking for too long, this write-up has me convinced to try it on my car. One question I do have, though, is in regards to the plastic clips. On my '70, I do not have the clips for the end of the rods (not there when I bought the car, and can't see anywhere to use them). Has anyone else had a similar situation? It looked like this was brought up previously, but no definitive answer. Thanks to all for the help.

~ Jason
post #98 of 280 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 08, 3:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

The more and more I read over this thread, the more and more I want to attempt this. I pulled my original green (dyed black) dry-rotted headliner out on Monday (didn't know any other way than to just rip it to shreds) and was thinking about taking it to the local interior shop to get a quote, but not now. Chris, you've made this look so easy a caveman can do it, lol. I'm going to buy the headliner kit and all the materials I need this weekend and try to get it done all next week (seriously taking my time with it). Question though, I've read about people using this glue, and that glue, and everybody has their preferences...what is the absolute cheapest and best glue to find in a local hardware store such as Lowe's? Also, what would be the easiest heating method for the material if one only has a blow dryer? Would that be good enough? More questions to come....thanks for any responses

Last edited by ss1970chevelle454; Oct 9th, 08 at 5:04 AM. Reason: Can't spell good when I'm sleepy...
post #99 of 280 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 08, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1970chevelle454 View Post
The more and more I read over this thread, the more and more I want to attempt this. I pulled my original green (dyed black) dry-rotted headliner out on Monday (didn't know any other way than to just rip it to shreds) and was thinking about taking it to the local interior shop to get a quote, but not now. Chris, you've made this look so easy a caveman can do it, lol. I'm going to buy the headliner kit and all the materials I need this weekend and try to get it done all next week (seriously taking my time with it). Question though, I've read about people using this glue, and that glue, and everybody has their preferences...what is the absolute cheapest and best glue to find in a local hardware store such as Lowe's? Also, what would be the easiest heating method for the material if one only has a blow dryer? Would that be good enough? More questions to come....thanks for any responses
Id suggest using the super trim adhesive that comes in a tube. As for heating its best to have all of the material iniformly heated. Use a space heater if you can

Chris White
post #100 of 280 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 08, 1:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

Ok, Im failing miserably here. I dont see any clips for the rods, only 3 groups of 3 holes each side. There are hook clips near the front and rear, what do these hook on to?

I dont have the money to take it somewhere and have it done.
post #101 of 280 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 08, 1:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

There's a write up in the chevelle magazine that has all the pics in it and his story for each page, I printed it out and had it in the car with me that helped a lot.

post #102 of 280 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 09, 10:53 PM
Tech Team

ready to install my headliner of my 70 soon. great write ups and pics. The only question i have and see a few others do also is that i only have one of the bows that have a hole for the clips that hold the bows in place. The rest just have the 3 holes where the bows go into. Anyone else run into this problem? hope i explained this well. thanks
post #103 of 280 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 09, 11:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

If youre using just use some good contact cement the spray adhesive will come down after a month or so even sitting in the garage-found that out the hard way. I got some super lightweight neoprene like insualtion I wish coulda put up there spray adhesive would work fine there.

Tried it myself and wound up paying a pro after watching all the cuts he had to make there is no way mine would have come out anywhere near decent.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #104 of 280 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 09, 12:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gilbert

I did the headliner in a 71 and I didn't use glue or clips. The metal strips around the doors and front had little metal hooks on them and it was just a matter of stretching the material and setting it on the hooks. That held it until I put the lace back on. You did an excellent job with yours.
post #105 of 280 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 09, 1:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelless414 View Post
ready to install my headliner of my 70 soon. great write ups and pics. The only question i have and see a few others do also is that i only have one of the bows that have a hole for the clips that hold the bows in place. The rest just have the 3 holes where the bows go into. Anyone else run into this problem? hope i explained this well. thanks

Please explain again...

New oil is cheaper than new parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 369 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.