Headliner install write-up - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 280 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 10:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Headliner install write-up

hey chris thanks a bunch!!! i wanted to do my own to save money, but was scared to ruin my brand new headliner. what did you guys do for the sail panels? my interior is completly out.. thanks again chris!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 280 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 07, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad hooker View Post
hey chris thanks a bunch!!! i wanted to do my own to save money, but was scared to ruin my brand new headliner. what did you guys do for the sail panels? my interior is completly out.. thanks again chris!

YOu should have extra material for the sail panels. You can get the hard backings from a supplier and then use a good adhesive and cover them. I used the super trim adhesive (the stuff used for vinyl tops. Super 77 doesn NOT hold up for very long)

Chris White
post #48 of 280 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 07, 3:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

yeah im looking for the hard backings. thanks

post #49 of 280 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 07, 4:51 PM

Hey Chris, I got this link from someone over on the V8Buick board. Good to share some GM A-Body info Like a lot of folks here, I was apprehensive about doing this job on my Gran Sport by myself for the first time. Someone was also mentioning shock when they were quoted an install at a shop. I'm there! A local shop quoted me $450 That's when I started thinking about doing it myself again, given the kit is barely a hundred bucks. After reading your post and the fact my glass and interior are out, I'm going to call and order a kit this weekend. Thanks again.

Craig
http://justanothertoy.com/
post #50 of 280 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 07, 4:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltdwn12 View Post
Hey Chris, I got this link from someone over on the V8Buick board. Good to share some GM A-Body info Like a lot of folks here, I was apprehensive about doing this job on my Gran Sport by myself for the first time. Someone was also mentioning shock when they were quoted an install at a shop. I'm there! A local shop quoted me $450 That's when I started thinking about doing it myself again, given the kit is barely a hundred bucks. After reading your post and the fact my glass and interior are out, I'm going to call and order a kit this weekend. Thanks again.

Craig
http://justanothertoy.com/

You'll have no problem at all. I tried not to leave out any critical steps. Just get it in there, dont cut too much, and 'work it' tight and glue down with the clips to hold it in position. Thats pretty much all you have to remember!

Chris White
post #51 of 280 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 07, 9:41 AM
Team Member
Tom

Wink Re: Headliner install write-up

Thanks Chris,
I'll be opening my suprise headliner kit for Christmas tommorrow morning and this is some wonderful information!

Tom

1968 Chevelle SS

post #52 of 280 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 08, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rod

Garage

There are some readers that questioned the situation of what happens when you don't mark the holes that the bows came out of? I took mine out in 1999 knew I should have marked them, but have ahd the car in paint for almost a year and don't have any clue where they go. WHAT DO I DO?

9 years and FINALLY she's drivable, just in time for my first born son.

Rod Hill
IT/AG instructor
Ag. Mechanics, Ag. Power Mechanics, Ag. Wood
Los Banos High
Los Banos California
post #53 of 280 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 08, 12:28 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by torndown64 View Post
There are some readers that questioned the situation of what happens when you don't mark the holes that the bows came out of? I took mine out in 1999 knew I should have marked them, but have ahd the car in paint for almost a year and don't have any clue where they go. WHAT DO I DO?
I did the same thing. just take the bows and go inside the car, and move them around till the "fit" you will see where they go once you try putting them in place.

68 chevelle 355 [email protected]
78 malibu 454 on E-85 [email protected]

post #54 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 10:43 AM
Tech Team
dwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
bubba,
if i could share one tip, instead of using your feet to push the bow into the clip take a visegrip and squeze the rod into the plastic clip. you won't push on your roof and new paint job and you won't believe how smooth it goes in. by the way your liner looks great ! i'm still fine tuning mine.
What i did was take a small piece of wood ..1x2 and measured it to length and made a simple lever -one easy push and it went right in ..
I also put a little heat in the car and closed all the windows ..and it was even easier to work with ..As stated great layout ...
post #55 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech Team

This is SO cool!! Ive been intimidated on doing mine and dont want to take the car to a shop and leave it.

Ill take the rods outta mine and give it a shot.

THanks for the write up and pics!!!!!

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.

post #56 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

How do you get the rods out.
all the interior is gone and I have been looking at the rods for 3 years. Every time I monkey with them I get no ware.
Does one side come out first?

If you don't know history its like you were born yesterday.
post #57 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 08, 2:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy fan attic View Post
How do you get the rods out.
all the interior is gone and I have been looking at the rods for 3 years. Every time I monkey with them I get no ware.
Does one side come out first?
you have to rotate the rods down and then pull each side out

Chris White
post #58 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 08, 9:40 PM
Team Member
Jerry

Great post Chris.
I have a question, I installed my headliner a few years back and it turned out good except for the back at the sail panel location. I took my sail panels off the other day to try and make it look better. I am afraid I didn't suceed
I am having a heck of a time getting the material to look decent. I am always ending up with wrinkles. How did you stretch and hold the headliner here?

Jerry
65 Beaumont
L96 6 Liter
Straub hyd. roller
Tremec 5 speed

post #59 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 12:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rod

Garage

There should be enough material that covers the holes for the sail panel clips. The guy that installed my headliner pulled the headliner tight and pushed just the clips into the holes through the material.

9 years and FINALLY she's drivable, just in time for my first born son.

Rod Hill
IT/AG instructor
Ag. Mechanics, Ag. Power Mechanics, Ag. Wood
Los Banos High
Los Banos California
post #60 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 08, 4:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jack

Excellent writeup Chris... I did upholstery work of all types for many years and do the chevelle top very similar to what you do. Only thing I wanted to add is I feel the best glue to use on headliners is Landau Top glue made by Weldwood. (I'm sure there are others... I feel it is the best strength glue you can use. I spray it on when I do the modern type headliners but it works well brushed on too. Also if you guys do your own you will probably get a few small wrinkles but don't sweat it too much as most will come out after a few days in the sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 394 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.