17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #271 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 17, 1:07 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Headliner install write-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
I think the most important thing you can do is to spread it out and heat it up ahead of time to eliminate the folds & creases.

Normally i like to put them in the clothes dryer on hot for about 5 mins... but with one that big i'm not sure. Might still be worth a shot. Those creases are a PAIN to work out later if you don't get them out first.

If you have a clothes steamer that can also work well to heat it up. Makr yourself a little a-frame to support and spread out the material, then steam the creases from the back side.
It is supposed to be 110 in the shade this week. Probably just push the car outside, lay the headliner on the roof and let the sun make it hot.
RAMBO likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 17, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Garage

With the help of Bill, aka Busterwivell, we have the headliner hung on the bows.

Using this tool to pull and tuck the material into the channel seems to be working just not sure how tight it should be.

Turned the cooler off tonight and going to let the shop get really hot inside and pull a little tighter.

I know the white pocket needs to be trimmed back but the fold in the material seems like it would cause problems if left as is. Should it be trimmed too?

Thanks

63 Nova wagon

post #273 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 17, 3:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

look like you are making good progress!

FWIW... the heat does not make it "pull tighter". Heat relaxes the vinyl.
Heating it up to remove the wrinkles and creases works because it relaxes and expands.

So when installing You want to heat it up when stretching into place- then when it COOLS it really does contract a bit and in turn pulls itself tighter than you could done had you just stretched it when cold.

Ben R.

-

post #274 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 17, 8:59 PM
Administrator

Garage

Okay after a 2 more days of figuring out what works best I have half the headliner looking good. My experience with various clips so far has been that the small binder clips don't hold all that well, the medium are okay but the large work excellent. The spring clips, the green tipped ones in the photo work very well wish I would have had more of them. The red tipped ones from China just suck, they wouldn't even make good paper clips. Drove to town and picked up 20 more of the large binder clips for tomorrow.

Cutting around the A, B, C and D pillars is time consuming. Little cuts, pull and check, little more, another check but it is progressing nicely. The rear pinch weld trim is installed but no glue on the fabric yet.

I'm hoping this glue will work, it has a brush that will make it less messy than the spray adhesive.

Going to work it a little tighter tomorrow and then install the side glass trim before moving onto the forward section.

In a 2 or 4 door car I would be done
RAMBO and 71350SS like this.

63 Nova wagon

post #275 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 17, 4:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Wow,

I just refreshed my memory by rereading this thread, as its been a few years.

Yesterday, I installed a new headliner in my '67 El Camino... Wow, took under 3 hours!

Today I'll add the trim and visor mounts/mirror mount/dome bezel...

Had a few people laugh, including my wife, because I probably had 80-100 of the "medium" binder clips... Yeah, it wasn't going anywhere...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #276 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 17, 4:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Wow,

I just refreshed my memory by rereading this thread, as its been a few years.

Yesterday, I installed a new headliner in my '67 El Camino... Wow, took under 3 hours!

Today I'll add the trim and visor mounts/mirror mount/dome bezel...
I'm getting ready to do one in a 67 Camaro in a few weeks... will be my 5th one.
I was going through it again myself as a refresher!

One of the most useful threads of all time!!!
71350SS likes this.

Ben R.

-

post #277 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 17, 4:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
One of the most useful threads of all time!!!
Ranks right up there with many of your posts on seat covers and foam...

Which reminds me, I need to dig up some of those to prepare for my bench seat install...

Got the ACI foam and PUI covers, just waiting on some hog rings (I know I have some around here, but I couldn't find them)... I stripped the lower cover and found one broken side spring, but its not one of the "S" springs... I think a few tubular connectors and another piece of wire should do the trick... I also stripped one back but left the other as a reference, even though it has been recovered before...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #278 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 17, 6:44 PM
Administrator

Garage

I buy hog rings at the local feed store.

63 Nova wagon

post #279 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 18, 6:36 PM
Tech Team
Troy

I have done 3 headliners, all three had front and rear glass still in it. I have 2 more headliners to do, it gets easier the more you do, but its never easy, thats for sure.I always leave screw in their holes, so you can find the holes easy, make an incision. I also like to clip the headliner tight, let it sit for a few days, then stretch it tighter before glueing. Complete process is around 10 hours I suppose. My buddy had a professional do his 67 GTO, that guy did it in about 4 hours, but he has done hundreds of them, and he used a steamer for the wrinkles. I have about 100 alligator clips, they work awesome.
RAMBO and RichardB like this.
post #280 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 18, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Stole this from "phscollectorcarworld" .....

I have a nice pic from Joe Petrik showing the bows and the color code sequence from front to rear of roof. From the front his was marked Blue, next one was Pink, the center rod is the thinnest one one with no hooks, often no paint daub, the rear ones are Pink-Orange followed by Green-Pink.
Install Tips
Mark your pieces as you remove them. Now, on an older car you'll often have rust build up on these bows. It's a good idea to removed the rust with steel wool but mark your rods before you take away all the rust. Be sure to mark them so you know which one goes where. Also, do not paint those rods. They were bare for a reason. It makes slipping them through the headliner fabric listings easier. Once you paint the rods, the loops inside the fabric listing tends to "grab" the rod and it causes bunching of the fabric all along the way. Very time consuming to straighten out. Remove the rust, by all means but don't paint the rods. This will go a long way towards ensuring a nice installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 440 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.