Headliner install write-up - Page 18 - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #256 of 280 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 11:31 PM

Re: Headliner install write-up

I'm doing the HL in my 72. There's quite a bit of glue residue on the 'tac strips' from the factory. These strips are only held in with screws. I'm wondering if I can remove these to clean up or how have you guys done / used to get the old glue off? I've read every post I this thread, saw about every video made on bow style headliner installation..... Taking my time, and finally attempting it.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 16, 10:21 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Charlie

Garage

I took them all down and numbered them as I went around the car, and also numbered the framework for the roof above them, so I'd know where they went upon reassembly. Then I chucked a wire brush wheel in my drill press-( a hand drill works too, just harder to manage)
Basically I took off most of the dried up glue, but it wasn't perfect.

Charlie

1970 Chevelle Malibu/SS Tribute
Cortez Silver, 355 SBC, 200 4r
1967 Camaro RS (basketcase project)
1984 F-150 parts hauler
2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ Granite Black daily driver
post #258 of 280 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 16, 10:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

How are you doing with this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #259 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 6:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Ok I have my new legendary headliner up with bows and clips in place (no glue yet) on my 70. I just can't seem to get it as tight as I would like it. Should I worry about that or will it tighten up a lot when it gets hot. My garage is only 65 degrees right now and I have read some people recommend to heat the interior/headliner while stretching it into place. I assumed the headliner will shrink when it gets hot but maybe not.

Mark
1970 Chevelle SS, Black
post #260 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 17, 7:04 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970SS View Post
Ok I have my new legendary headliner up with bows and clips in place (no glue yet) on my 70. I just can't seem to get it as tight as I would like it. Should I worry about that or will it tighten up a lot when it gets hot. My garage is only 65 degrees right now and I have read some people recommend to heat the interior/headliner while stretching it into place. I assumed the headliner will shrink when it gets hot but maybe not.
Did you mean shrink when it gets cold? I don't know if any material will shrink when it gets hot.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I put a ceramic space heater inside my trunk as I was prepping the car for paint. i brought the metal up to 80 deg on a 50 deg day. Also, Harbor Freight makes a 12V defroster, you can pop that in there and let it run for a few hours on a 12v supply and have the car all closed up. A few hours should give you the answer. Your own def could work too, but that would require a running engine.
post #261 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 3:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I thought the same thing. Most material expands as it gets hot and contracts when it gets cold. However I watched some headliner installations where they were using a heat gun to get the wrinkles out so that tells me the heat is shrinking the material.

Mark
1970 Chevelle SS, Black
post #262 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 4:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rich

Garage

Or maybe it is just relaxing the material allowing the wrinkles to flatten out...like a steamer does for clothes.
fishhead likes this.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
post #263 of 280 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 17, 7:08 PM
Tech Team
Randy

Garage
Great write up! Thanks for taking the time.
post #264 of 280 (permalink) Old May 15th, 17, 3:05 PM
Tech Team

Finishing up my 70 today. Ill post pics later. tips my 70 Chevelle is totally different then my 69 Camaro that took 4 hors start to total finish. all day on the 70 no where near done. Yes remove all those metal clips along all edges and scotch brite them and clean off all old glue. Then re install. I laid mine out for a week on the dinning room table, then for 2 days on a flat table in my garage and still needed a steamer and a heat gun. There were no clips with the sail panel from PMI so we are trying glue and wrapping edges. Ill finish the story tomorrow with more info.
post #265 of 280 (permalink) Old May 16th, 17, 6:26 PM
Tech Team

Discovered I needed 2 vertical rubber interior weather strips just in front of the sail panels. NO one offers them as part of there kits? Interior is almost done. I need to install those 2 rubbers 1st then reattach the rubber covered steel windlace on those curved edges. Rear seat cardboard some insulation the 2 plastic bottom arm rest fillers and seat back and bottom. Then shes 100%. Pics soon.
post #266 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Garage

This has inspired me to do it myself. Since it is a wagon it is about twice the size of a 2 door car. At least I will not have the sail panel area to deal with Have not removed it from the box yet, is there a front and rear edge to the headliner? Need to get this in so the glass can be installed.
71350SS likes this.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #267 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 2:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
This has inspired me to do it myself. Since it is a wagon it is about twice the size of a 2 door car. At least I will not have the sail panel area to deal with Have not removed it from the box yet, is there a front and rear edge to the headliner? Need to get this in so the glass can be installed.
usually you can tell the front from the back by the spacing of the bows. the ones in the front are usually farther apart than the rear... but of course not sure in a wagon.

PUI headliners they usually mark the centerline and mark the front.

Ben R.

-

post #268 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 9:16 AM
Administrator

Garage

Thanks, it is a PUI headliner.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #269 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 1:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

I think the most important thing you can do is to spread it out and heat it up ahead of time to eliminate the folds & creases.

Normally i like to put them in the clothes dryer on hot for about 5 mins... but with one that big i'm not sure. Might still be worth a shot. Those creases are a PAIN to work out later if you don't get them out first.

If you have a clothes steamer that can also work well to heat it up. Makr yourself a little a-frame to support and spread out the material, then steam the creases from the back side.

Ben R.

-

post #270 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 17, 1:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bart

Garage

I will be installing mine here in the next week. I am finishing up on some minor body work. I got most of the wrinkles out of mine by going ahead and installing the bows, trimming the bow sleeves back enough to pull it fairly tight, then put several of the clips on to hold it. It has been that way for about 3 months now and all of the creases/wrinkles are gone. I do have the luxury of it just sitting in the garage without the glass in it. I will pull it back out before i finish the paint next week and reinstall/glue everything before setting the glass. I am using the landau top HHR glue on mine. I have used it on dash pad vinyl etc and it work MUCH better than any of the aerosol products hands down. I also have an upholstery steamer that I used when I made my new seat upholstery in order to fine tune the area above the sail panels.

There's nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 653 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.