17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #211 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 12, 6:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

Re: Headliner install write-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete1957 View Post
Great write up Chris me and my son tackled this project on my 67 chevelle yesterday have 1 question though! I am ready to tackle the rear corners above the sail Panels it looks like in your pics you had clips there to the tack strips did you use glue? or how do I attach it to the tack strips? thanks for your help saved me alot of time and money!
Pete

I think I used glue to attach it to the tack strip just like the sides. Is that what you are asking?

Chris White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 12, 2:56 AM
Tech Team
Liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevSS1967 View Post
I have started putting the head liner in my 67. The only thing that hasn't been mentioned are the strips around the windshield and back glass, for no better choice of words I call them tack strips., metal strips with teeth. How do these fit into the install? I am kinda stumped on how to attatch these.

Thanks
Robert

Hi Robert,

I just finished putting these headliner "Tack Strips" in my '68. The screw in with small waffle head style screws (Basically a small philips screa with a wide super flat head. They sell these screws as a kit on must restore websites but they are expensive...I just looked at the style of screw and went to the harware store an matched them...so instead of paying $35 for screws, I paid 2 bucks.

Here is a link shoowing the tacking strips available form OPGI:
http://www.opgi.com/p/steel-body-pan...6/CH28131.html

But again, you can probably get these from a good junkyard source, I got a few replacements from Joe at http://www.azchevs.com/first.html

Hope this helps!

I am still waiting for a few clips to come in the mail, then I will be tacking my headliner...soon!!!

Liam

Check out our 1968 Chevelle
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #213 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 8:40 PM
Tech Team
Liam

...So, I just got my clips in the mail...and I will begin my install in the morning.

As I laid everything out in preparation, I thought about the wrinkles and fold lines in the headliner. So, I tried a simple household trick and it worked. I took my headliner and threw it in the dryer for 5 minutes...pulled it out and laid it flat in the hood of my car...now, no more wrinkles, it's nice and smooth! Ready for tomorrow's install!

Liam

post #214 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 12, 9:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg

Garage

when I did mine I only glued one side a day

post #215 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 8:38 PM
Tech Team
Liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 350 View Post
Any tips on how to locate the coat hanger holes? I marked the location on the drip rail from the outside,but not how far in the hole is. Head liner to tight to push up to where you can feel the holes. Could any one measure theirs from the edge of the trim to the screw head an give me an idea where it is?

Hi Tony,

I have a '68...and I just did my headliner today...but before I did, I snapped a couple of photos for you with a ruler for reference...hope these can help you out!

Liam

post #216 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 12, 8:59 PM
Tech Team
Liam

Did my Headliner Today...

I did my Headliner today...took me 5 hours.

Instead of buying a headliner installation tool, I went to Home Depot and got a small (2") scraper/putty knife and put a bend in it and rounded the corners...worked great!

All my glass is IN, so, yes it is possible to do with glass! My first time doing a headliner and I must say it was pretty easy! The rear glass windlace/trim was the toughest.

The clips are an awesome idea!

Make sure you leave the screws for your dome light and and coat hooks in...makes it really easy to find!

I removed all my bows and sanded them and painted them...put up new sound deadner, and sprayed the ceiling with "Boom Mat" spray sound deadner...then put up the headliner insulation...all new clips and a new headliner kit from Ausley's...good kit!

All new windlace/trim, new rearview...coat hooks, and domelight. I will be purchasing new seatbelts from Morris Classic in the morning.

Here are a few photos in the process...

post #217 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 12, 5:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Chris White

looks real good, Liam

Chris White
post #218 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 29th, 12, 11:23 AM
Randy

Are there any suggestions on reinstalling the shoulder belt harnesses/clips and dome light after installing a new headliner? The headliner is in, but I can't remember and can't find/feel what was there prior (holes, brackets, measurements, etc.).
post #219 of 280 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 12, 11:23 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Thanks for the write up Bubba. It helped a lot, especialy the pictures and recomending the clips.

Mine's a '67, and for that year I'd suggest starting in the center where the VVVVV retainers are and go foreward from there, then move to the back. I was still able to do it starting at the back, but it probably would have made more sense to start in the center on my car.

I was only able to get one rod in the plasic clips with the help of a 2 lb hammer. Wife and I are both old, fat and not very flexible so we can't do the foot on the ceiling method. Fearing I'd dent the roof with the big hammer, I ground out the opening of the plasic clips a bit so the rods would go in. They're still plenty tight.

I also used the weatherstrip adhesive you did. It is good stuff (yellow), and I believe it's the same product as the spray on 3M adhesive.

Thanks again. Your post gave me the guts to try it and it turned out fine.
post #220 of 280 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 12, 10:15 AM
Kim

Thank you for the information and the pictures, I have seen some bad examples of what not to do, so it was good to see how to do it correctly. We just dropped our seats off to be redone and after seeing your post, I think I will let him do the headliner also.
post #221 of 280 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 12, 8:33 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
Nice, thanks for taking your time to show this!
I did The same on my 70,s headliner worked awesome!
post #222 of 280 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 1:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

How many plastic clips and the plastic side retaining clips are needed for this job? I have a 69 and it was missing the headliner and all the bows so I have no reference to anything to figure out what clips I need.

Chris.

When the Boogeyman goes to bed, he checks the closet for Chuck Norris.

If it aint broke, just give me a minute.
post #223 of 280 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 13, 9:02 PM
Tech Team
Captain

In order to finish the job, does anyone have any pointers on how to install thelastic trim that goes around the inside of the rear window?
post #224 of 280 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 13, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba68ss View Post
i dont know what you're asking about the clips, but i did the headliner on my 69 with the glass in. it was just harder. its also a lot easier without any interior in!
I know this is an ancient thread, but guys, I am really getting desperate with this issue with my 69. It's not a chevelle, its an Impala, but don't kick me out just yet, hear me out a second..

I rebuilt the entire interior, including a new headrest from classic industries. I have a 69 4 door sedan, the one with a post between the doors.

The headliner that was in the car ( thorn) was glued to the windshield pinchweld. I have tack strips all around and for the sail panels, but not in the front. Looking at CHevelle pictures , specially this magnificent write up on installing the HL, I see a tackstrip in the front, secured with 3 screws about 6 or 5 inches apart on each side. I dont have those holes in my car.

And to make it more mysterious, the HL I removed seemed original, with the original carton windlace around it.

My windshield is already glued in, and my question is: WHat is the correct way to go? Would GM use the pinchweld as tackstrip originally? If not, what am I missing?

THank you for any help!
post #225 of 280 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 13, 8:34 PM
Dale

Well I just completed the headliner install in my 67(as instructed in this thread), all the glass is in the car. It all went together fine and I was able to get a nice tight professional looking fit. I bought my kit from PUI and the sail panels didn't have any provisions for the clips, luckily I was able to get the square clip holders out of my old sail panels and hammered them in along with some glue to re-use my old clips. I don't know where you would go with those sail panels if you didn't have your old ones, anyhow great thread!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 369 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.