Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 3:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats

Hello Everyone,
I have a '70 SS Chevelle with black bucket seats I want to recover and refoam. Don't know if I need to repair or replace springs. (The seat bottoms are a little lumpy and vinyl has a whole was been repaired and shows it.) I'm looking for advice on best supplier of new vinyl covers and foam. I want them to look correct and be high quality. From previously postings it looks like Hinshaws is really good and possibly Legendary Interiors. Any other opinions out there?
Also, I've never recovered a seat before. Is this something I can do or should I just buy the parts and take it to an interior shop and let a pro do it? I don't want to ruin anything and want it to turn out well.
Thanks a lot!
Mark2Mac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 5:21 PM
Team Member
Jim

Re: Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats

I'm in the same "boat" with my 69 Chevelle. I plan on buying the stuff and taking it to an interior shop to get covered.
Let's see who else has ideas though?

Jim
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 6:12 PM
DG
Senior Tech Team
DG, my initials

Send a message via Yahoo to DG

Unless you have the $ for a show-perfect fit, it can be a do-it-yourself job.

Most suppliers carry the same brands of cover. PUI and Distinctive Industries are the most common.

There are tricks to the install (trash bag on seat before slipping the cover on, tear the bag out when the cover gets pulled on), and you will need a hog-ring plier (~$20), and 100 rings (~$5 - check with a local shop, I got a box free).

I did my front and rear bench with PUI covers in 2 weekends (each took 1-2 days). I had to salvage two seats to replace broken side springs and 1 back rest spring.

Lessons learned:
  • Do NOT throw the old covers out till you are done. You will need to pull some of the wires from the welts and reuse them.
  • Do one at TIME.
  • Replace the burlap attached to the strings with other new heavy weight felt or new burlap (feed sacks work, or Wal-Mart sells it in the fabrics section).
  • Duct tape all sharp metal edges, or they will tear your new covers.
  • Even if you don't need new foam, get a 1-1/2 " foam batt and hog ring it over seat foam. It will help smooth the wrinkles.
  • Let the covers warm up in the sun (or a dryer) before pulling them on.
jaf6738 likes this.

70 Malibu

TEAM Chevelle Member #0086

Used to be a member of Tri-State Chevelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 12:18 PM
Team Member
Tom #3613

DG, your timing is impeccable. I have finished the first and am about to start the second bucket seat recovering and your tip about the trash bag is great.
Can't wait to try it. Lucky me, our town has a pay-per-bag system for trash and the bags are so cheesy they tear real easy, so removal is going to be a piece of cake. Thanks, Tom
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 4:50 PM
DN
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Get a pair of hog ring cutters too. They're cheap. Saves a ton of time, and your hands as well..
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 5:28 PM
Team Member

I have done a few seats, and it's a DIY job as long as you take your time. Follow DG's advice and you'll be fine. I would also recommend that you take a lot of pictures as you disassemble the seats. Digital cameras are great, as you can snap as many pictures as you need. Also take pictures of things you don't think you need, because you might need them anyway.

One of the tricks to get a nice fit is to fold, tuck and hog ring the covers correctly, and the pictures are a very good reference (believe me, you will forget where all those damn hog rings are supposed to go... ). And as DG said, do one at a time. That way, you'll have another reference.

1969 Malibu in progress
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 5:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

As DG explained, save the old covers until you're complete with the install. Unless the foam is severely damaged, I prefer to use layers of carpet pad (soft is better) I use 3M spray adhesive, glue the pad over the existing foam and use a flap sand wheel on an angle grinder to shape the pad to resemble the original seat foam.

If the seat covers have been replaced before, someone may have taken the wire, that DG mentioned, out that helps form the seat insets during install. The wire is pulled down to the seat frame and hog ringed. If the wire is missing, it's best to purchase new heavy gauge wire to slide into the pockets where the aftermarket mfg normally uses rolled paper wire. If you just use the paper, you won't be happy with the finished product.

Ed C.
-------------------------
70 SS L34 Auto project
57 Belair hardtop project
Always looking
-------------------------
There's nothing in this hobby I won't try at least once.
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 6:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

A quick guide with photos for recovering the seats:
http://buickperformance.com/bs.htm

As someone else already said, don't be confused by all the different companies selling covers- there are REALLY only two companies manufacturing them. PUI and Distinctive. PUI is a little more expensive, but better quality (in my opinion).

There are also two mfg's of the seat foam... Classic Industries (OPG) makes one kind- and you really need to be ready to trim and shape theirs.
The other is made by another company i can't recall the name of- but their foams are sold by National Parts Depot & Year One- from what I have heard they DON't Need to be trimmed and shaped- no first hand knowlege of theirs though.

That being said- I agree with the guy above about re-using old seat foams if at all possible.

Good luck and have fun!

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 6:40 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Unless you have the $ for a show-perfect fit, it can be a do-it-yourself job.

Most suppliers carry the same brands of cover. PUI and Distinctive Industries are the most common.

There are tricks to the install (trash bag on seat before slipping the cover on, tear the bag out when the cover gets pulled on), and you will need a hog-ring plier (~$20), and 100 rings (~$5 - check with a local shop, I got a box free).

I did my front and rear bench with PUI covers in 2 weekends (each took 1-2 days). I had to salvage two seats to replace broken side springs and 1 back rest spring.

Lessons learned:
  • Do NOT throw the old covers out till you are done. You will need to pull some of the wires from the welts and reuse them.
  • Do one at TIME.
  • Replace the burlap attached to the strings with other new heavy weight felt or new burlap (feed sacks work, or Wal-Mart sells it in the fabrics section).
  • Duct tape all sharp metal edges, or they will tear your new covers.
  • Even if you don't need new foam, get a 1-1/2 " foam batt and hog ring it over seat foam. It will help smooth the wrinkles.
  • Let the covers warm up in the sun (or a dryer) before pulling them on.
Dave's70 and I followed this exact same advice from the forums a few years ago and I can vouch for everything said in DG's post.

I would like to add one suggestion of my own.

Get a friend to help you. Sometimes you really have to yank on the stuff while your buddy hig rings it in place.

Mark

1972 Chevelle - Toy!
1946 2-Door Coupe - Newest Toy!
2006 HHR - Cheap on gas!
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 06, 1:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gerry

Garage

(trash bag on seat before slipping the cover on, tear the bag out when the cover gets pulled on),

Great idea,wish I knew this when I did the backs on my bench seat!!Wife and I worked hard on those ones!Its the first seat we did ourselves and it looks great.

1970 Black Cherry SS396
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 06, 4:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Thank to all for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Mark2Mac
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 06, 5:43 PM
Tech Team
Roy

I recovered my 70 bucket seats a couple of years ago myself. No experience. Lessons learned were the same as listed here already.

I used PUI covers. They look closer to original. I used cushions made by American Cushion Industries. They had a website, but some other site comes up using their address today.

A hint with the garbage bag. Use a large enough bag and fold it in half. Lay the folded end over the foam to the inside of the seat, leaving the free ends hanging out to pull. When you have the seat cover pulled over the foam, you can pull on the garbage bag flap that is against the bottom side of the seat cover and the bag easily slips completely out, no tearing. Don't pull on the flap against the foam, since the foam grips the plastic and it will not slide. I used a hair dryer to warm up the vinyl when slipping it on.

Here is a link to some earlier discussion about 70 bucket foam https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48042

Good luck.

70 SS396 Silver Chevelle

post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 06, 8:06 PM
Jim

Send a message via AIM to jnorth

Guys, This topic comes up alot so I'm going to stick this one to the top. Lots of good info.

Jim North
71 Chevelle Convertible
71 El Camino SS
65 El Camino

#4927 TC Gold #1404
Support your local Chevelle club!!
post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 06, 6:00 AM
jac
Lifetime Premium Member

How are the headrest to do?

70ss nassau blue
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 06, 7:30 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Headrests are a different story. Check some posts on this. I haven't heard anyone say they turned out well. I ended up selling my old headrests with the new covers included and bought replacements from ground up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1262 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.