Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 09, 11:16 AM
Tech Team

Re: Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally View Post
Installed a new bottom spring set from NPD on Saturday. Used the old foam, it was actually in very good shape. I turned the seat upside down on the floor to hog ring around the bottom. You can push, lean, or sit on the seat to collapse the springs some. Then you'll have enough material to wrap around and hog ring in place.
Hank,
Is this the same foam your dog tore up and you decided to use packing peanuts and duct tape to repair .

Ray Barnes

69 SS Fathom Green/Med. Green Int.
ACES #1608
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 09, 1:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarnes View Post
Hank,
Is this the same foam your dog tore up and you decided to use packing peanuts and duct tape to repair .
Ya! So what's your point Ray?

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 09, 8:30 AM
Tech Team

Well my point is...I'm glad you changed your mind and didn't use bubble wrap.

I sure hope eveyone knows we are friends or this would sound pretty bad .

Ray Barnes

69 SS Fathom Green/Med. Green Int.
ACES #1608

post #64 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 7:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarnes View Post
Well my point is...I'm glad you changed your mind and didn't use bubble wrap.

I sure hope eveyone knows we are friends or this would sound pretty bad .

Hey, you saw the seat bottom with the new springs didn't you? I think it turned out good.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 105 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 1:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Just thought i'd post my thoughts, and my results after doing my first set of bucket seats...

Started with the lower drivers side, Got my covers off.. Decided that my burlap was in good enough shape to re-use.
Put the new ACI foams on... and began trying to hogring in the lower bolsters.

To make a long story short- i wound up using brute force and hogrings to secure them down. Pretty much impossible to show in pics, but you are trying to combine the covers listing wire, with the hogring, and push it down into the trenches in the foam covers, through the foam,through the cloth foam backing, then throgh the cotton and burlap and finnaly attach to the cardboard covered wire that is attached under the seat springs.

It is darn near impossible to do this without removing some of the foam material. So that is what i did, using an xacto knife i cut out 4 small squares fromt he bottom of the bolster trenches, then went back with the covers and hogrings... Using the tips of my fingers on on hand i located the wire UNDER the springs and push it up... and then using my other fingers locate the wire from the top... and start pushing down as hard as i could with the hogring pilars to get through the material.

Took a few times to get the hang of it, by the last cover i was getting through all the material on the first try.

Once the bolster listing wires were attached the rest of the cover pretty much just fell into place.

I had turned the covers inside out while doing the bolster listing attachment... once that was on, i just started at the rear of one side and started working the cover around the foam edge- it was tight, but really no big deal to pull it over. Looked pretty wrinkly at this point, but then once i attached the rear, and the worked my way around hogringing the outter edge, it pulled nice and tight. I really didn't do anything to get it to not be wrinkly, they just pulled themselves out.

I did the same process for teh seat backs, i opted to re-use my existing back seat foam because it was in perfect shape... Same process for the seat back listing wires as well.

So... Lessons that i learned....
If you can have a friend handy when you are doing the bolster hogringing to push up on that listing wire under the springs that would help a ton.

I put the covers in the dryer on low heat for about 10 mins and when i got them out i thought they were going to melt! don't leave them in for very long!

When i took my seats apart, they had some cotton batting attached to a cheese cloth over the top of the bottom side bolsters, and also wedged into the listing wire trenches in the foam. When i put it back together i did not replicate this, and when i push on the foam, i can kind of feel and see the out line of that trench in the foam. I think if i did it again i would put cotton or polyester batting in the trench and over the bottom foam bolsters before i pull the cover over the edge.

Ok, heres the goods: My pics
Before & After
-

Driverside & Passenger Side
-

Ben R.

-

post #66 of 105 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 6:23 AM
Tech Team
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
A quick guide with photos for recovering the seats:
http://buickperformance.com/bs.htm!
Damn.....now I WISH I could have found that days ago.
That's a decent writeup. Thanks.
post #67 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 09, 10:23 PM
Tech Team
Ulysses

Send a message via Yahoo to ulySSes

Just did my my buckets a couple of weeks ago. This thread helped me like no other. I love this site.

Before

After

1970 SS 396 L34 M21

1969 SS 396/325 black on black --Sold
2002 Camaro SS M6--Sold
post #68 of 105 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 12:11 AM
Tech Team
Brian

did read the whole post to see if this was already posted.
Put the seat covers in the sunlight for awhile to heat them up.They will soften and stretch over the buns alot easier.
post #69 of 105 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 09, 12:15 AM
Tech Team
Brian

nice job on that 70 and i kind of even liked the old ones
post #70 of 105 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 7:24 PM
Tech Team
Ulysses

Send a message via Yahoo to ulySSes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychevelle View Post
nice job on that 70 and i kind of even liked the old ones
My mom did also. hehe

Mom: Why do you want to redo the seats? They look really nice.

Me: I'm trying to get the interior back to what it's supposed to look like.

Mom: Oh I see. Too bad, they're in good shape and look lovely.

***2 weeks go by and see's my new redone seats.***

Mom: Much better, son!

Me: I told you, Mom.

Mom: You were right, what a difference!

1970 SS 396 L34 M21

1969 SS 396/325 black on black --Sold
2002 Camaro SS M6--Sold
post #71 of 105 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 7:34 PM

Hi there. I have recovered the seats in my old 69 chevelle. I have done about 4 sets for guys now and they all turned out good. I just got some covers for my recent 69 chevelle, and I'm going to cover them next month. If the foams are not in bad shape , all I did was laid some of that polyester quilting batten under the covers and they turned out nice, puffed out and firm.
post #72 of 105 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 09, 8:04 PM
Tech Team
Bob

My son did the interiors on my 3 Chevelles, his Trans Am and my other son's Camaro instead of using "hogs" an old timer told him to use marine grade hd black plastic ties.Worked great and really looks pro. Bob Rizzi
post #73 of 105 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 09, 7:09 PM
Tech Team
Smitty

I used your suggestion but decided to use Stainless Steel Tie Wraps (Harbor Freight). It gives you the ability to cinch down the material for an extremely tight fit - almost impossible when working alone with Hogrings. They turned out great and the wraps will never break
post #74 of 105 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 09, 6:40 PM
Tech Team
Randy

I've just recovered my buckets, and they're poofy as all get out. This didn't happen yrs ago when I recovered some other ones. So i did some pic surfing and 80% of the ones I've seen look as they're suppose too. Mine look like bulged out pillows in the centers. Anyone else having this problem. Are they screwed up or will they settle in?
post #75 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 10, 5:28 PM

I've also recovered my own buckets last month.....a friend of mine gave me a good tip.....cut approx 4inch by 6 inch piece foam and place it under the spring on the left side of the driver's side and the right side of the passenger's side....this is the area that always collapses when getting in or out of the car and it worked out great makes a big difference.......... I purchased my material from legendary and was very happy not cheap but worth the investment...it's not a very hard project just do one at a time and take your time.....I blasted and primed the seat tracks but I'm going to purchase new ones so I have the old ones for sale good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1324 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.