Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 8:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Shane

Re: Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats

One trick I use...

I grab a really good wrie hanger. I cut about a 6-8 inch piece from it. I use that for the hard to pull places. I use the hanger to pull the pieces together then when they are close enough I grab the hog ring and pliers and squeeze them together.

If your going to use zip ties you need to get really good qualtiy ones that are fairly thick and wont break or let go. Used zips in a FIAT I had once and they let go after a few months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New oil is cheaper than new parts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 105 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 07, 4:48 PM

I am also recovering a set of 70 Chevelle Buckets and the doner buckets came from a 1970 Monte Carlo. My issue is that the seat covers I am removing did not have the 70 emblems so I need the location of the emblems for the replacement seat covers. Can somebody help me out with the dimensions for emblem placement?

Thanks,
Bigbowties
post #48 of 105 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 8:09 AM
Tech Team
Eric

Ben, PUI and Distinctive are not the only companies making these interiors, we not only make them but, we make the highest quality interiors available and offer a Lifetime Warranty with them!! The best foam kit available is made by American Cushion Industries which we offer along with our seat covers. Thanks. Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.

post #49 of 105 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 10:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbowties View Post
I am also recovering a set of 70 Chevelle Buckets and the doner buckets came from a 1970 Monte Carlo. My issue is that the seat covers I am removing did not have the 70 emblems so I need the location of the emblems for the replacement seat covers. Can somebody help me out with the dimensions for emblem placement?

Thanks,
Bigbowties
If you measure from the top seam (the one that would be barely covered by the headrest) to top of the emblem it is 6"

post #50 of 105 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 07, 8:54 AM
Tech Team

i had mine done he has done many seat covers for older chevelle's camero's novas he was good.

70 sprayed Chevelle
post #51 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 08, 8:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Send a message via AIM to FlameOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lail1985 View Post
Ben, PUI and Distinctive are not the only companies making these interiors, we not only make them but, we make the highest quality interiors available and offer a Lifetime Warranty with them!! The best foam kit available is made by American Cushion Industries which we offer along with our seat covers. Thanks. Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.
I can vouch for that. Received my covers and they look great! I still haven't installed them, and can't wait to. Hopefully I can find someone local that sells the hog ring pliers and rings

Bill

396 (402) .030" over
Edelbrock
Performer RPM Air Gap
Lunati 60203 / KB 0.180
domed pistons
Holley Street Avenger 770
Muncie M-22
12 bolt posi 3.31
post #52 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 08, 8:31 PM
Tech Team
bobbyo

Just so ya know I just had mine redone (just new foam) reused the covers they were in great shape. 126$ that included tax. I bought the pre shaped foam from OPGI. It came out ok. Only had to do the drivers side. Didn't ever sit in the passengers seat (only had it since Sept 1st) and put it away in early November. Good luck!

"The meek shall inherit nothing".... FZ
post #53 of 105 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 08, 2:32 PM
Tech Team

i tossed my seat covers, one piece at time as i required it, into a pillow case & tossed into the clothes dryer for a vert few minutes to remove the wrinkles.
post #54 of 105 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 08, 4:20 PM
Tech Team
Charlie

I just recovered my 70 buckets and yes it's a job but if you take your time they will turn out OK. I wished I would have known about the trash bags also, as itís very hard to pull the material over the foam. I learned that if I put on the bottom of the back bucket first its worked better than putting on the top and trying to pull on the bottom. The only problem I encountered was with the back cover for the bucket seat. I purchased my seat covers through Original Parts Group who gets them from Distinctive Industries. I found that the bottom flap of material (the flap that you pull up to the frame and covers the springs) was too short. I could not pull it up to the frame and hog tie it as it was about 4 inches short. I measured the flap from the support seam to the edge and it was about 4 inches. I needed twice that, so I measured off the original seat cover and the flap measured about 8 inches. I called Original Parts Group to let them know that the pattern was wrong and did not get any sympathy or response. So, I took the two back covers to my local upholstery shop and for $20 he sowed in new flaps which worked out fine in the end. The other thing I could mention to you is the foam pads. For me they were too thick in the middle for the buckets and cause a hump in the back and bottom of the seat. This was uncomfortable to seat in as you felt like you had something pushing you in the middle of your back and up your rear end. So I used a sanding disc on my angle grinder to reshape the foam to get it more concave than convex. Good luckÖ
post #55 of 105 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 08, 2:48 AM

The best cushions are the ones made by American Cushion Industries (made in the U.S.A. too), the foam is the right size & so is the density, plus you get a limited lifetime guarantee if you are the original purchaser. They might be a little more money, but ACI cushions aren't those low quality, hard Chinese made knock offs that PUI offers, or the oversized, hard as a rock cushions that OPG sells. You can get ACI cushions at places like Legendary & NPD.
post #56 of 105 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 08, 4:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Send a message via AIM to Malibulvr Send a message via Yahoo to Malibulvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lail1985 View Post
Not trying to be a dick but do we need the advertisements??? WE get it, you have great seats, go to the classified section!

Thanks,
Mike
post #57 of 105 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 3:08 AM

I have a rare STRATO BENCH SEAT, Bucket seat backs with a bench seat bottom and a armrest in the middle. (this is not a bench seat like an olds with armrest ) It has 70-72 backs with headrest and button in the upper back of seat . How do i get the backs off of the seats without breaking the backs ? Not sure how the buttons come out or apart to get the backs off. I have to buy a set of bucket seat covers and a set for bench to recover this seat. Got lucky and found foam for top bucket seat portion separately on ebay now i have to buy a bench foam set to get the bottom part. I have seat upolstery for a 70 buick skylarkwith armrest new in box but not sure if i will catch hell for putting the skylark upolstery in the chevelle. It is alot nicer cover pattern than the 70 chevelle pattern. i also have another bench and back seat and just might build two sets of seats for the car. The BENCH/BUCKET would be vey comfortable in the chevelle. It came from a 69 Caprice 427 car and is same width. Just need to know how to remove the buttons or the backs. I know you guys are smart ! YOU DRIVE CHEVYS !
post #58 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 9:56 PM
Ken

If you need bottom or back spring sets (my driver's side was all broken and bent up) Muscle Factory has 'em w/side springs very reasonable!! Mine are on their way!!
post #59 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 09, 8:42 PM
Ken

Quick-Update--With new springs on bottom and back-and new foam-and new pui covers-This was like stuffing an elephant into a suitcase!! Had my better half help or this wouldn't have worked out!! Looks Fantastic (showroom puffy and sweet) but with quite a bit of effort!! You'll definately need extra set of hands!
post #60 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 09, 8:04 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendaddy853 View Post
If you need bottom or back spring sets (my driver's side was all broken and bent up) Muscle Factory has 'em w/side springs very reasonable!! Mine are on their way!!
Installed a new bottom spring set from NPD on Saturday. Used the old foam, it was actually in very good shape. I turned the seat upside down on the floor to hog ring around the bottom. You can push, lean, or sit on the seat to collapse the springs some. Then you'll have enough material to wrap around and hog ring in place.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1322 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.