Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 105 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 07, 4:18 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

Re: Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats

I always glue my toppers so that I have some overhang...then I trim it up flush with the rest of the foam...might try a test fitting with out really hog ringing your covers on just to get an idea of what it is gonna do...if you are using your old foam I would suggest using a thin piece of cardboard to rest on the bottom springs between your foam and the springs...firms up the old foam very good...also refer to the thread at the top of this section...it has excellent information for the do it yourselfer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Danny

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bluechevelless Send a message via Yahoo to bluechevelless

any tips or help on installing the cover on the backrest part of the seat?
Im having a problem with the top where the head rest things attach. I cant seem to get the cover down far enough to install the headrest things. The seam goes right through where it attaches. When I do get it pulled down far enough the seam gets a wrinkled and the middle part is all bunched up and looks like crap. Recovering seats is a nightmare....

1970 Chevelle SS 396
Originally Mist Green
Dark green Interior
AC PW PL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 105 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 11:45 AM
Tech Team

This is a great post alot of good info I'm going to recover the seats on the Malibu next week

Thanks guys

post #34 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 07, 11:14 AM
Tech Team

Can you guys post pictures of the seats recovered?

Thanks Pete

1972 chevelle 3950 lbs 496ci
781 ovalport heads
th-400 4800 stall
12 bolt 3.73
best ET 11.34 @ 119.60 mph 1.66 60 foot

post #35 of 105 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 07, 8:51 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Ben, we actually just released our 68-72 Chevelle, Malibu and El Camino line of seat covers and door panels. They have been getting great reviews. They come with Legendary's Limited Lifetime Warranty and are guaranteed to fit and look great! If you would like more information, contact our Sales Department at 1800 363-8804 and they can send you a free catalog. Thanks, Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.
post #36 of 105 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 07, 9:19 PM

I need help on the disassembley of a bucket seat. I've done a few bench and split bench before but never a bucket. How do I get it apart so I can replace the foam and vinyl? Thanks
post #37 of 105 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 10:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

Remove the plastic then where the seats pivot on the sides cut off the hog rings to expose the 2 bolts on either side. The top and bottom will come apart and you can then cut off the hog rings and remove the seat covers and foams.

"He drives a El-frickin-camino, that's like the Cadillac of cars" Earl Hickey

1970 Elcamino SS396 4spd
1970 SS454 Chevelle

TC#632
TSC#11

70 LS2 Build thread

post #38 of 105 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 8:44 AM

See if my article on recovering buckets helps you:

http://www.buickperformance.com/bs.htm
post #39 of 105 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 8:54 AM
Tech Team
Eric

Mark and Jim,
our seat covers, molded foam and door panels are very user-friendly. They are the highest quality available and carry a lifetime warranty for as long as you own your car. Give us a call at 1800 363-8804. Thanks, Eric @ Legendary Auto Interiors, Ltd.
post #40 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 2:07 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Great info guys! I am gettin gready to do mine as well. One question- I only saw one guy post that he cuts the foam and burlup in order to get the wire or plastic in the seat cover close enough to the seat frame springs to hog ring. Do all you guys do that? It seems like a lot of material to compress in order to get the hog ring in place if you didn't. I can't believe nobody has photo documented as they recovered and posted it on here.
Thanks Chris

'72 SS, 4 spd, CI, 408, 750 Holley, Lunati cam, Perf RPM, Dynomax headers, Sealed power pistons.

Sites-
&
post #41 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 2:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

IMHO and experience,black zip ties work better than hog rings...

post #42 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 07, 4:03 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
IMHO and experience,black zip ties work better than hog rings...
I Would definitely like to try zip ties. From what I understand I should just start in the middle of whichever cover around meatl wire insert or plastic (whichever is being used), reach in and poke it through the foam (cutting foam, burlap, and /or carpet piece if necessary) to the springs and zip it, but not all the way until all ties are in place. Then progressively work around tightening them all a little a time during the outer hog ring process. Do you think the zip ties would hold over time so long as someone would put some duct or electrical tape on the spring to keep the abrasion on the zip tie at bay? I have tall faith in those little things, we used to use them all over our race cars and they never failed us.

'72 SS, 4 spd, CI, 408, 750 Holley, Lunati cam, Perf RPM, Dynomax headers, Sealed power pistons.

Sites-
&
post #43 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 07, 10:59 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Anyone- Am I correct on the above info? Would like to start on the seats this weekend.

Sites-
&
post #44 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 07, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Talking Re: Recovering '70 SS Bucket Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsom69 View Post
A quick guide with photos for recovering the seats:
http://buickperformance.com/bs.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealchemist12 View Post
Greetings...

Check out this link...it may be helpful to you..

thealchemist12(milt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStage1 View Post
See if my article on recovering buckets helps you:

Must be something really good at that link to have 3 guys in the same thread post it!
Mizzou.Mike likes this.
post #45 of 105 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 07, 5:46 AM
Tech Team
Sergio

Great stuff guys,i too am preparing to start on restoring my seats so thanks goes to all for all the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1314 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.