To bucket or not to bucket, that is MY question! - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 9:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

To bucket or not to bucket, that is MY question!

Ok so heres my dilemma. Im 6' 4" but my wife is 5' 3". Our 69 is currently at the fab shop getting the floor boards modded for the T-56 Magnum LSA swap. I actually like bench seats, but I cant fit in the car when my wife drives it. My head literally touches the headliner/sun visor. The obvious fix is to lose the bench for buckets, but that requires further welding for the seat brackets AND im having a hell of a time finding original seats for a reasonable price. The PUI repros seem to have good reviews but are waaayyyy back logged due to being shut down for a bit from the virus. The car isnt original anyways much less the floor board mods, but I hear that Legendary is the better way to go for quality, but they only make covers. The interior is metallic blue which we both like, but my chances of finding good, usable, originals, in the correct color, is next to zero. I'd love to find a nice set, "mechanically sound" and just have them re-foamed and covered, buuutttt...

Im also no interior guy so I would leave rebuilding originals to a professional. What do you guys recommend?

1969 SS clone, factory A/C and disk brakes. L-76, 4" Stroker, 11:1, Brian Tooley Stage 4 PDS with LSA and T-56 Magnum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 9:31 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: To bucket or not to bucket, that is MY question!

Have you expanded your search to other A-body’s?

You may want to add your general location to your profile. I’d bet many members have friends with a stash of parts they could point you towards.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 9:54 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

You can easily make a simple bracket to move the seat more rearward. As the seat goes backward it also goes lower. You could additionally raise the front of the seat track to lift the front of the seat which will tip the back rearward. That may be a better solution for your wife. You can just block the seat back from going all the way back when she’s driving.

Protesting should not be a license for anarchy.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 9:58 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

There would be an advantage of bucket seats as you could have one all the way back and the other all the way forward but I don't know how much that would help height wise.

The answer is don't ride with your wife when she drives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Contact Rambo or RealRed70 for seats

Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start again??

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 10:13 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

I am 6'3" but have a convertible so my head clears with the top down Seriously I have seen many post where people complain their head hits with most new foam and ACI helps lot per them. I have no problem with the top up but that is apples to oranges comparison to a coupe. I did the switch over from bench to buckets using ACI foam and Legendary covers. If you call them they will send out a piece of vinyl so you can compare the color and pattern match. I am very happy with the finished product. Here is a couple pics and after sitting the sun they look better now then when the shot were taken. The steering wheel is a 15 inch and not the stock 16 inch for reference. Car is a 68.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	634030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	634032  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 10:41 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

You also have the option of finding a 60/40 bench seat That would solve your problem and you can keep a bench.
71350SS likes this.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 20, 10:43 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Justin,
What do you consider a reasonable price and what are you willing to put into them for restoration? Two things to consider. You can make any 69-72 A body seat into 69 Chevelle seats and that list includes Monte Carlio, Cutlass, 442, Lemans, GTO, Skylark. Also bucket seats are cost prohibitive to ship so dealing local to you is almost mandatory.
Also there can be a huge difference in condition of cores. Spring and frame rust is the main thing. The less the better. Cover condition and cushion condition dont mean a thing as they will be replaced. Some surface rust is to be expected but cores that sat in cars that were stored outdoors will have rust issues.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 20, 12:36 AM
Tech Team
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
You also have the option of finding a 60/40 bench seat That would solve your problem and you can keep a bench.
This would be my suggestion, go with the buckets. Rather then the farm truck bench.

Life is too short for caring about every bodies else's stuff
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 20, 7:45 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grock-co View Post
This would be my suggestion, go with the buckets. Rather then the farm truck bench.
They were available in other cars as well but in any case if you look at my previous post you will see I went buckets so no argument there. However I am not a big fan of buckets without a console and his tranny swap may not allow a stock console, maybe..
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 20, 5:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

I actually thought about the 60/40 option but couldnt find any info on when, if ever, they were offered in 60's A-bodies?

Also, I think I confused a few people, to clarify, I fit fine in the car, when its ME driving (bench all the way back). But my wife has to slide the bench completely forward just to reach the pedals, and that was with the 700R4. Im not sure if you can do that with a T-56 Magnum? Anyone here running a modern 6 speed (Holley 1.25" forward motor and trans mounts) with a bench? Even with one of those Z-bend shifters, can you slide a bench all the way forward and still be able to shift?

Im located in Las Vegas, ive had ZERO luck finding parts locally.

Just received an Ausley's (never heard of them before, until I stumbled on them last week). They do show a, "seat frame assembly" for $389.95/ea. I suppose I could purchase those and ship them to Legendary to complete. I was quoted $400 for labor to install their covers and foam. Id need to check with Ausleys to be sure they would allow separate ship to/bill to.

If I do find a rebuildable set, is there any reason no to have the whole assembly powder coated when restoring? Seems that would give the best long term anti-rust durability? (not that thats a yuge deal in my local).

I actually DO NOT prefer center consoles, I like the clean look of an accordion boot to the floor, not sure why. lol I DO like arm rests however, but that was not an option for these cars that I have seen. I HATE the look of modern seats in a classic, believe it or not. Yeah this car has an LSA/T-56 Magnum but thats well hidden. =)

1969 SS clone, factory A/C and disk brakes. L-76, 4" Stroker, 11:1, Brian Tooley Stage 4 PDS with LSA and T-56 Magnum
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 20, 7:10 PM
Tech Team
John

I’m partial to the bench seat look with a t-handle Hurst shifter on the floor, but in your situation bucket seats would be more suitable imo. I agree with one other post about the console though.....I don’t care for the console... just the 4-speed with boot on the floor looks great!
9Teen69 likes this.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 20, 10:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Teen69 View Post
I actually DO NOT prefer center consoles, I like the clean look of an accordion boot to the floor,
Everybody, everybody, everybody has a console in their car - even todays cars and trucks all have consoles. I too prefer the ol' school accordion boot and chrome shifter coming out of the carpeted floor.

Your problem isn't in need of an immediate solution, so take some time to research finding bucket seats as they are THE best solution to your issue. Legendary is your best choice for color match. Yes, finding buckets and restoring with Legendary will be expensive, but it will be the exact solution you need!
Johnny Bravo likes this.

66 Malibu......back to life, now with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 20, 5:17 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Look at the late 60's Olds Toronado seats.
9Teen69 likes this.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 20, 8:39 AM
Senior Tech Team

I also have a '69 and had Procar Elite seats installed about 15 years ago. The brackets have three slots set vertically to adjust overall height or to tilt the frame back slightly. They also recline and have good front to back adjustment. Very comfortable. The build quality is excellent and they've been durable.

Here is a thread where the seats in my car are pictured in post #9:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-...-interior.html

Summitracing still carries them:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending

Here are the brackets:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/.../seat-brackets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in