To bucket or not to bucket, that is MY question! - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 20, 8:51 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: To bucket or not to bucket, that is MY question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
You also have the option of finding a 60/40 bench seat That would solve your problem and you can keep a bench.
My initial thought too. Some have a fold down arm rest which may or many not be another plus.
9Teen69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 20, 10:51 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

GM G body used the 60/40 and I suspect with some bracket mods would fit in. 81-87 Elco used them.
Actually I found a set in the 1960 Corvair so these are certainly around and 77 Cutlass used them. Buick did as well. Buckets without a console just looks incomplete plus you lose the storage that they provide. My mother in law had a 70 Chevelle with buckets and column shift that was just out of place. Later when it became ours a console went in. However I wish the 68-72 consoles had a useful arm rest. My car handles better then my azz can stay put and a armrest would not just be comfortable it would help keep it planted....
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 20, 11:37 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Justin,
Following is my best advice to you. If your 69 fol!ows a more restomod look then Investigate seats from TMI and Procar. There may be others. That would be the quickest, most easy and probably cheapest route.
However if your car has a more original or stock look then those seats would look out of place and a set of Strato buckets would be the way to go. I cant imagine that the aftermarket spring assemblies are close to the originals. I recall reports of them being overly stiff. If you are going to go that route I would suggest an original Strato set all the way.
Have them stripped down all the way, then derusted, them springs repaired, then springs and frames painted, then new Legendary covers with ACI buns. There are good restoration threads in the stickies here. It would be in your interest to study them even if you dont planon doing the work yourself. At least you will know what is needed and the correct way it needs to be done.
RAIDER SS likes this.

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 20, 11:46 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Teen69 View Post

Just received an Ausley's (never heard of them before, until I stumbled on them last week). They do show a, "seat frame assembly" for $389.95/ea. I suppose I could purchase those and ship them to Legendary to complete. I was quoted $400 for labor to install their covers and foam. Id need to check with Ausleys to be sure they would allow separate ship to/bill to.
This is just a frame and spring. In addition to that you will need tracks, plastic bottoms and backs, realease mechanism, headrest and all associated hardware plus trim pieces. That will add up quickley.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 5:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

Im in worse trouble than I thought. I sat in a 69 Judge with OEM style re-upholstered bucket seats and my head is crammed into the roof. He also has the rearward relocation brackets for tall guys! My wife was still able to slide up enough to shift it just fine however.

I sat in a 68 GTO, same set of buckets, no relocation brackets, with worn out foam and I had about 3" head room.

Seems like buckets with relocation and a custom seat foam set is the best solution at this point; due to the fact that custom notching the bench to clear the shifter is likely almost as difficult/costly, as adding the bucket rail brackets to the floor at this point...

FML

1969 SS clone, factory A/C and disk brakes. L-76, 4" Stroker, 11:1, Brian Tooley Stage 4 PDS with LSA and T-56 Magnum
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 6:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

Beta good upholstery shop can turn yours into a split bench tell them what you want.
No console T56 here too. Like consoles but love the clean look of none too.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 7:24 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:

Seems like buckets with relocation and a custom seat foam set is the best solution at this point; due to the fact that custom notching the bench to clear the shifter is likely almost as difficult/costly, as adding the bucket rail brackets to the floor at this point...
FML
Do a search in this forum on ACI buns/cushions. You will find several that found out the error they made by not using them and using brand X. Quite a few found their head hitting the headliner.
9Teen69 likes this.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 10:34 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Im in worse trouble than I thought. I sat in a 69 Judge with OEM style re-upholstered bucket seats and my head is crammed into the roof. He also has the rearward relocation brackets for tall guys! My wife was still able to slide up enough to shift it just fine however.

I sat in a 68 GTO, same set of buckets, no relocation brackets, with worn out foam and I had about 3" head room.

FML
Justin that’s why I stated people that didn’t use ACI foam complained about there head hitting. I am sure my seat bottoms and backs are slightly thicker then worn out foam but you shouldn’t hit your head. Do you have a pic of the 68’s to compare with mine to get a rough idea. If you need measurements I can take some since my seats are still new.
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 20, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage
Quote:

FML
I would wager $$ that THAT guy had Uber stuff buns from PUI or OPG, and he also probably had reproduction seat springs. That is a guarantee for ****ty feeling seats with your head in the roof and steering wheel in your gut.

Fix your original springs, do not swap them out... And get ACI buns... Do that and they will feel like they did when new.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 20, 9:17 AM

I found this thread valuable as I am redoing some 70 buckets. Tossing out another seat cushion option. I am currently undecided between the ACI cushions and the TMI sport seat cushions

Has anyone used the sport seat foam from TMI that has the larger side bolsters? If so how is the seat height on those? I worry about sitting too high in the seat as I am taller but like the idea of added bolsters.

https://www.tmiproducts.com/chevy/ch...6-72-chevelle/

If seat height is like OEM on the TMI ones, they might make a good option for someone who is looking to modernize and add comfort to their seats. It appears that you have to use the TMI sport covers to go with their sport foam.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 20, 3:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post
I would wager $$ that THAT guy had Uber stuff buns from PUI or OPG, and he also probably had reproduction seat springs. That is a guarantee for ****ty feeling seats with your head in the roof and steering wheel in your gut.

Fix your original springs, do not swap them out... And get ACI buns... Do that and they will feel like they did when new.
My car is currently a split bench, so I dont have anything bucket except the brackets that should arrive tomorrow. The fab shop where my car is at now is going to install them. I figured, even if I found a way to make my bench seat work, having the bubket rails installed wont hurt anything as they will be hidden by the seat anyways.

I was told to reach out to you about getting buckets anyhow. What do you have currently? If I need to source parts, have you used the complete reproduction frame and springs before? Legendary said that I could ship the repops to them for completion. They quoted $400 just for labor. But right now turn around times are all messed up due to the virus. =(

1969 SS clone, factory A/C and disk brakes. L-76, 4" Stroker, 11:1, Brian Tooley Stage 4 PDS with LSA and T-56 Magnum
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 2:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Justin

Also, ive been reading about issues with seat belt retractor interference, I was planning on putting in a 3 point shoulder belt conversion. Is there a, "go to" company or are they all just re-branding the same stuff? I always prefer US made, especially on something like this!

post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 4:37 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Also, ive been reading about issues with seat belt retractor interference, I was planning on putting in a 3 point shoulder belt conversion. Is there a, "go to" company or are they all just re-branding the same stuff? I always prefer US made, especially on something like this!
Morris Classics offers a 3 point seat belt system that justs bolts in and looks pretty good as well.
However if you use Strato buckets and place them correctly they wont interfere with the belt retractor.
The time to install the bucket seat mounting brackets is when you have them attached to the bucket seats you will be installing. Otherwise you could end up with problems such as intereference with the belt retractor or seats that dont sit straight.
I converted my car from bench to buckets. When I went to install the bucket seat mounting brackets I attached them to the seats then set the seats in the car making sure they were postioned correctly. Once i was satisfied with the seats positions i marked the floor pans around the mounting brackets. I then removed the brackets from the seats and simply placed them on the marks i had made on the floor pans and proceeded to weld them in.
That may not be the way everyone does it but i know that way works.
RAMBO and 9Teen69 like this.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
My car is currently a split bench, so I dont have anything bucket except the brackets that should arrive tomorrow. The fab shop where my car is at now is going to install them. I figured, even if I found a way to make my bench seat work, having the bubket rails installed wont hurt anything as they will be hidden by the seat anyways.

I was told to reach out to you about getting buckets anyhow. What do you have currently? If I need to source parts, have you used the complete reproduction frame and springs before? Legendary said that I could ship the repops to them for completion. They quoted $400 just for labor. But right now turn around times are all messed up due to the virus. =(
I don't sell seats, I'm more of a resource for folks who are DIY restoring their own... I provide install kits and fabricate spring repair parts you can't get via the catalogs.

I would highly recommend sourcing a set of original seats as cores, then restoring them- repairing the original springs instead of replacing them.

The repop seat frames are fine, though they will nickle and dime you to death buying every little peice they need- AND they will come with the overly stiff reproduction springs.

Much better off with originals that just need new buns & upholstery and or a respray of the seat plastic shell parts.

As brad mentioned above- i would not go about welding in the bucket seat brackets until you have an actual set of seats to use for the position mockup.

ALSO... if you have a bench seat, you will not be able to still use it once the bucket brackets are welded in (unless you want to butcher the front track feet).

The bucket brackets cover up the front outboard hole that the bench seat uses, the stud that replaces the hole is not in the same spot.
1966_L78, RAIDER SS and 9Teen69 like this.

Ben R.

-

post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO View Post

As brad mentioned above- i would not go about welding in the bucket seat brackets until you have an actual set of seats to use for the position mockup.

ALSO... if you have a bench seat, you will not be able to still use it once the bucket brackets are welded in (unless you want to butcher the front track feet).

The bucket brackets cover up the front outboard hole that the bench seat uses, the stud that replaces the hole is not in the same spot.
Hopefully, the OP bought the 4-piece floor bracket set, and not the two-piece (without the outer-front piece).

Another option, Doesn't someone make "correct pattern" covers for ProCar seats? I thought some members on here had those... Not that it will save much money over restoring originals...

IMO,

I would place a "wanted" ad on your local Craigslist, and you might get lucky... I have done that before, as well as another member here, and got a set of bucket cores for less than 50% of the going rate... Of course, I also had a lot of super pricey seats offered up...

I have a set of '69 cores that I have been looking to move, but shipping etc...
RAMBO likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in