3Likes
  • 2 Post By augy
  • 1 Post By Calidreamin3

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Carpet with console

Hi Guys. Does someone have a pic of their carpet install with the horseshoe shifter? Thanks Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Re: Carpet with console

bump
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Make sure you have plenty of carpet on the drivers side of the console by the shifter mounting bracket. You need to have the carpet overlap the shifter mounting bracket/ base. If you cut the carpet right up to the shifter base you will be able to see in under the console shell when the carpet is installed. You will see the shifter and you need to be seeing carpet. The shifter mounting bracket/ base gets mounted directly to the trans hump with no carpet under it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 8:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
Make sure you have plenty of carpet on the drivers side of the console by the shifter mounting bracket. You need to have the carpet overlap the shifter mounting bracket/ base. If you cut the carpet right up to the shifter base you will be able to see in under the console shell when the carpet is installed. You will see the shifter and you need to be seeing carpet. The shifter mounting bracket/ base gets mounted directly to the trans hump with no carpet under it.
Exactly why i wanted to see a picture of how others have done it. Your explanation makes perfect sense, because i put the carpet in place and placed the console on top to see how it fit, and i could see that i would have to remove less, not more of the carpet. My main concern was the area immediately around the shift cable where it comes up through the floor. Thanks, Terry
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 7:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Don't know if this will help you or not. When we install carpet here in the shop, especially with a floor shifter, we only SLIT the carpet wherever something comes through it. Just enough so it doesn't interfere with the operation of the shifter mechanism, cable, or whatever. Then after the console or shifter plate is installed, you can make the slit into a small hole if needed.

Same with seat mounting bolts, seat belt bolts, gas pedal, dimmer switch, etc.
Kirk's67SS and 68-13427 like this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Thank you Steve. That is what i planned on, remove a little at a time to ensure i don't take too big a first bite. Still would like to see a picture. Terry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 2:00 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Terry,

Here are a couple pics of a recent new carpet/console install on my '68. Not sure if this helps or not for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0829.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	633158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	633160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	633162  
68-13427 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 5:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

I see the ignition switch is lit up. Is that a push to start ignition conversion, or is that still a key switch with a light built in. Nice interior BTW. Very clean looking.

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 5:49 PM
Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
I see the ignition switch is lit up. Is that a push to start ignition conversion, or is that still a key switch with a light built in. Nice interior BTW. Very clean looking.
What started out as buying a pretty clean numbers matching 68 SS with the thought of simply putting the A/C back in took on a life of its own. Almost 2 years later, it is almost completed and involved a lot of changes. Indeed what you are seeing is a push button start added onto it. Additionally, the car now has interior LED lighting in the footwells as you can see in the photo. A ton more changes/additions to the car, but those are two of the bigger ones you are seeing in this photo. I think my favorite upgrade of anything is the steering wheel we put in it (and the chrome tilt column to match up with it). It also has a backup camera installed inside of the glove compartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in