Help me decide, TMI or Procar for 68 Malibu bench to bucket conversion - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old May 17th, 20, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Help me decide, TMI or Procar for 68 Malibu bench to bucket conversion

I was originally going to keep and restore the bench seat. But who doesn't like buckets, and the bench restoration will end up costing more than brand new seats. So what are the pros and cons? Experiences with the installation? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 20, 12:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: Help me decide, TMI or Procar for 68 Malibu bench to bucket conver

Do yourself a favor and sit in a few before you buy. I went through this last year and found some of the really inexpensive Procar seats were very comfortable. I had all but decided on a particular Corbeau seat and was lucky enough to find a dealer near me. That seat was so uncomfortable that I could never have been happy with it. It had wings that poked me square in my shoulder blades. I ended up with another Corbeau model and have been very happy with them.

I know itís not a direct answer to your question, but I hope it helps you avoid a costly error.
David Bates and blm like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 20, 10:47 AM
Tech Team
Glen

Garage

Here is my thread covering my 68 seats in TMI.

Recovering my seats. Work in progress.

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 20, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I don't have either seat in my car but I've noticed some of the Procar seats look like they might use cheap foam in them because they look saggy in some cars and don't keep their shape.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 20, 2:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geologist View Post
I was originally going to keep and restore the bench seat. But who doesn't like buckets, and the bench restoration will end up costing more than brand new seats. So what are the pros and cons? Experiences with the installation? Thank you
A Bench seat cover is about $200, good ACI bun for the bench is another $250.... reskinning a bench is super easy to DIY...

Sounds a heck of a lot cheaper than a pair of aftermarket buckets and the mounting brackets. Just sayin.

If you are not hung up on originality, then any of the aftermarket buckets will likely be light years more comfortable than factory buckets. I like the looks of the new TMI Pro-Series aftermarket seats w/ chevelle year correct covers on them- though I have not seen a set yet in person to be able to sit in them.

I like the Procar Rallys, and have had a couple sets of my own in previous cars.
They are a comfortable seat and do hold up to use (you do have to get used to getting in sideways and swinging your legs around the big bolsters), but they are a physically small seat when compared to an OEM seat and they look small in a Chevelle/Elcamino. They look more at home in a mustang or camaro or nova IMO.

Ben R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 20, 7:18 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

IMO it depends on your particulars. Is your car mostly stock looking or does it lean towards resto mod? Is it an auto on the column or a manual trans car?
If it is mostly stock them IMO a set of Procars or TMI seats would look out of place.
The most economical thing to do would be to rebuild your existing bench seat. But you are right everyone likes buckets. Again IMO the factory Strato buckets are far superior to the aftermarket buckets in build quality but you dont get the modern conveniences such as recline and bigger bolsters. Although bolter kits are available for Strato buckets through companies such as Legendary.
So I guesswhat I am suggesting is to explore all your options before you make a decision. Most of us that have been around here a while will agree.
von likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 20, 7:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Very happy with the Procar rally seats in daily driver.

I have Corbeau suspension seats in my truck and really like them as well but they would look really bad in a muscle car. The truck is a 04 4x4 RAM Cummins so I figured if the truck doesn't have a suspension the seats should.....
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 20, 9:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

I put a set of Scat Procar Lowback buckets in my 70 after pullin out the bench seat and am very glad I did. Great price and very comfortable.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0034.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	627222  

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 2:41 AM
Tech Team
Garret

I put the TMI seats in. I used their 20 percent off sale to save some money. I live semi close and was able to sit in the majority of their lines at their facility. I found these to be the most comfortable for me. I’m 6 foot and a 38 inch waist. I fit in the bolsters pretty well but I’d think anyone much bigger would be too wide for the seat. Very comfortable for sure. The car was a bench floor so I got the bench to bucket conversion brackets. Drilled four holes and with in an hour had both installed. I’ve done interior work on my other car from the springs up. This was the way to go as I didn’t have days worth of labor into the project and got done nice quality buckets to boot.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	867B3BC1-B302-4C88-8FA1-17DD0B50474D_1589956469990.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	627350  
RAMBO likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 6:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retnuh22 View Post
I put the TMI seats in. I used their 20 percent off sale to save some money. I live semi close and was able to sit in the majority of their lines at their facility. I found these to be the most comfortable for me. Iím 6 foot and a 38 inch waist. I fit in the bolsters pretty well but Iíd think anyone much bigger would be too wide for the seat. Very comfortable for sure. The car was a bench floor so I got the bench to bucket conversion brackets. Drilled four holes and with in an hour had both installed. Iíve done interior work on my other car from the springs up. This was the way to go as I didnít have days worth of labor into the project and got done nice quality buckets to boot.

Cheers
Do you sit lower than with the bench. I'm trying to gain some headroom.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 9:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Get rid of that ugly bench seat and get the TMI.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retnuh22 View Post
I put the TMI seats in. I used their 20 percent off sale to save some money. I live semi close and was able to sit in the majority of their lines at their facility. I found these to be the most comfortable for me. Iím 6 foot and a 38 inch waist. I fit in the bolsters pretty well but Iíd think anyone much bigger would be too wide for the seat. Very comfortable for sure. The car was a bench floor so I got the bench to bucket conversion brackets. Drilled four holes and with in an hour had both installed. Iíve done interior work on my other car from the springs up. This was the way to go as I didnít have days worth of labor into the project and got done nice quality buckets to boot.

Cheers
I'm curious, you chose the seats with the Pro-Series covers instead of the year correct chevelle covers... Any particular reason, or just liked this style better?

I have a feeling a set of these are going to find their way into my chevelle sooner or later and I'll unload my restored factory ones.

Ben R.

-

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 12:14 PM
Tech Team
Zach

Love my TMI setup..very comfortable

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
rmc65elco likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 2:17 PM
Senior Tech Team

Can anyone shed any light on if you sit lower?

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 3:03 PM
Tech Team
Garret

I sit semi high in the car, near what the headliner height would be. Very comfortable height but any taller and I’d be in to the headliner for sure.

Do you sit lower than with the bench. I'm trying to gain some headroom.[/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in