It's better to burn out than to just fade away - Neil Young

1971 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 Clone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 86 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 7:18 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Re: Show me your steering wheel

Had this Weld wheel on my 67 for quite a few years to match its flame theme. Replaced it with a Lecarra unit a couple of years before I sold the car. The Weld wheel is all I have left now of the GR8PMKN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p002396.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	620410   Click image for larger version

Name:	p002392.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	620412  

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #63 of 86 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 20, 7:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Here is mine.

Claude.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chevelle_ss-3029.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	620414  
69SHEVL, true136 and Dkar26 like this.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph

post #64 of 86 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 4:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
Here is mine.

Claude.

Is that steering wheel from con2r in Beaverton, Oregon? They have a great selection of wheels, very customizable, but very expensive. I used their site to customize a steering wheel and it was over $600. Nonetheless if I had really deep pockets, I'd consider going with them.

67 Chevelle Malibu, ZZ4 350 crate engine, TH350, FiTech EFI, Vintage Air, Dakota HDX dash, FlowMaster exhaust, Digi-Tails tail lights and front marker lights, 17" Rally style wheels, Redline tires
post #65 of 86 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 5:13 PM
Tech Team

Garage
$600 is brutal. But I spent $200 on mine and it’s nice, but it’s not the perfect wheel.
In retrospect, I wish I’d have saved longer and bought the perfect (to me) wheel.
I would have had the wheel long after I’d forgotten about the $600.
I wonder if they have sales throughout the year or would do a group purchase for Chevelle.com.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #66 of 86 (permalink) Old May 19th, 20, 12:01 PM
Tech Team
Big Mook

Garage

Do you happen to have a part number for that steering wheel

Big Mook

Never said I was the fastest...Just said your not getting ahead of me lol
post #67 of 86 (permalink) Old May 19th, 20, 1:34 PM
Tech Team
Big Mook

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mojave View Post
I believe this steering wheel is called the Volante S6. Different colors and finishes are available. Summit Racing and others carry them too. I believe the steering wheel is a little over $100.

I had a much more expensive Billet Specialties steering wheel but the large polished horn button and spokes were too shiny/distracting for my liking. I spent a lot of time looking for a smaller diameter wheel that looks similar to the factory comfort grip wheel. This was as close as I could find at the time. Grant makes a similar steering wheel, but the spokes are flat so you have to use their taller hub.
Do you happen to have a pic of the steering wheel or a part number by chance ?
Thanks

Big Mook

Never said I was the fastest...Just said your not getting ahead of me lol
post #68 of 86 (permalink) Old May 19th, 20, 6:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksky View Post
Is that steering wheel from con2r in Beaverton, Oregon? They have a great selection of wheels, very customizable, but very expensive. I used their site to customize a steering wheel and it was over $600. Nonetheless if I had really deep pockets, I'd consider going with them.
Yes it's a "Con2r". They can build you any imaginable steering wheel you always dreamed of... 2 spokes, 3 spokes, 4 spokes, available in any dish you want. Same goes for the colors, they have unlimited choices. But... NOT CHEAP!
See the link here: https://con2r.com/gallery/steering-wheels/

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #69 of 86 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 2:30 AM
Tech Team
Garret

Billet Specialties that matches my wheel design.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CEB98F5A-BCAA-4172-963D-D638FF4B1C31_1589956180365.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	627348  
post #70 of 86 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 8:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonby1970 View Post
Do you happen to have a pic of the steering wheel or a part number by chance ?
Thanks
Volante S6. Pics in earlier posts on this thread. Enter that name on Summit Racing's website or Google it and you'll easily find it. Tons of options on spoke finish, rim materials and wraps, horn buttons, etc.
post #71 of 86 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 10:18 AM

Garage

I am wanting a wood Volante S6 steering wheel for my 67 with tilt.The factory adapter for a wood wheel (part #3930062) won't work on a tilt column. I haven't bought anything yet so I can't look at it to see for myself. I don't want to spend in excess of $300 only to have to return it. Can anyone tell me why or is their a way to make it work?

https://www.volantesteeringwheels.co...DSTB3&CartID=1
post #72 of 86 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 2:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
I am wanting a wood Volante S6 steering wheel for my 67 with tilt.The factory adapter for a wood wheel (part #3930062) won't work on a tilt column. I haven't bought anything yet so I can't look at it to see for myself. I don't want to spend in excess of $300 only to have to return it. Can anyone tell me why or is their a way to make it work?

https://www.volantesteeringwheels.co...DSTB3&CartID=1
You don't need to buy their adapter. That wheel has 6 screw holes that will mate to an original (or repro) GM adapter for your 67 with tilt. You may need to buy or fabricate the little spacer that goes on top of the adapter, to take up the space between the adapter and the bottom spoke. (The bottom spoke on the original GM wheel is lower than the other 2 spokes.) That's what I did for my 72 with tilt -- I bought the adapter and horn button parts separately and fabricated the spacer. At that time a few years ago, Volante wasn't even selling the adapters.
post #73 of 86 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 3:07 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mojave View Post
You don't need to buy their adapter. That wheel has 6 screw holes that will mate to an original (or repro) GM adapter for your 67 with tilt. You may need to buy or fabricate the little spacer that goes on top of the adapter, to take up the space between the adapter and the bottom spoke. (The bottom spoke on the original GM wheel is lower than the other 2 spokes.) That's what I did for my 72 with tilt -- I bought the adapter and horn button parts separately and fabricated the spacer. At that time a few years ago, Volante wasn't even selling the adapters.
Thanks for your input. I currently have a Grant wheel and will need a wood wheel adapter. 67/68 adapter is it's own animal. From everything I have read said it doesn't work with 67/68 tilt columns. Someone on Summit's feedback even said it won't work on a tilt column. I would really like to know why so I could possibly figure a way around it
post #74 of 86 (permalink) Old May 20th, 20, 5:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Thanks for your input. I currently have a Grant wheel and will need a wood wheel adapter. 67/68 adapter is it's own animal. From everything I have read said it doesn't work with 67/68 tilt columns. Someone on Summit's feedback even said it won't work on a tilt column. I would really like to know why so I could possibly figure a way around it
Hopefully someone here with a 67-68 will chime in about the tilt vs non-tilt adapter (or "hub" as it's usually called). GroundUp sells the 67-68 hub and says it's for tilt and non-tilt columns. On the other hand, GroundUp sells different turn signal kits for tilt vs non-tilt columns. Maybe try calling GroundUp or NPD if you don't get an answer here?
John Moore likes this.
post #75 of 86 (permalink) Old May 21st, 20, 8:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

I just pulled the trigger on a Volante S6 wheel fit my 67 Chevelle. I saw no warning that it would not fit with a Ididit tilt wheel. Actually, they make an adaptor to fit an Ididit colum. Where is this info listed?

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in