Did I buy the wrong carpet - FRUSTRATED - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 9:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Did I buy the wrong carpet - FRUSTRATED

Hey Guys,

I did some research but I'm still super confused.... So I'm doing a partial restoration on my 69 Chevelle SS.
I'm trying to install new ACC carpet and I'm frustrated as hell because I can't get it right. It's leading me to believe I may not have bought the right carpet.

I have a 4spd bench car with the 4spd shifter hump. I bought the carpet from RockAuto, they had it described as "ACC 17303180 Essex; Molded; Complete; The 4 speed bench seat is the same as the automatic hump".

The carpet set on the left is the carpet set I bought, but the carpet set on the right looks like the one I need, it clearly has the shifter hump stamped out. It says it's for the bucket seats 4 speed w/o console. My problem is I can't get the tunnel to lay right especially around the shifter hump. And as far as carpet goes, what would be the difference between a bench seat or bucket seats?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
PS... I think I made a mistake buying the Essex with mass backing too... tough to work with. By the way, the back carpet went in great.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17303182.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	616946   Click image for larger version

Name:	2132180.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	616948  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 9:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Did I buy the wrong carpet - FRUSTRATED

Send it back if you can and get the correct set.

If you can't send it back then try using double back tape or Carpet Tape to hold it in place. Let the carpet sit in direct sun light to warm up. Place the foot reinforcement where it needs to be (don't install the front carpet according to the hole for the High Beam Headlamp Switch -- most often it's in the wrong place). You can use a hair dryer to help mold the carpet to the hump.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 10:35 PM

I'm a long way off from tackling the carpet on mine but if I had to hazard a guess the difference between bench and bucket, if any, would likely have to do with the brackets for the bucket seats.

I like Rock Auto but their descriptions sometimes leave a lot to be desired. If I'm reading the description you posted right it says that the shifter hump between the 4 speed bench and automatic are the same and I'm fairly certain that ain't the case. As I recall the automatic shifter hump would be narrower than the non-console manual. It looks to me like the one on the left would be for a column shift automatic.

Cameron

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 10:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage
I think they just worded it wrong in their description. You clearly need the carpet on the right. I have the same essex carpet in my 70 and it layed down quite nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1578455265022_1582040334836.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	617000   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1578455271620_1582040350498.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	617002   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1578455278101_1582040368186.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	617004   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1578455286788_1582040388014.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	617006  

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; Feb 18th, 20 at 10:59 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 1:01 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Yeah, no complaints on the Essex carpet for my 70 EC though it does require a sharp knife to cut it for best trim and fit.

Heat gun heat, the good 3M glue and some heavy lengths of log chains to weight it all down in places while the adhesive grabs the backing did it for me.

Use a thin tipped 40 watt soldering iron to melt bolt holes after using a sharp pick to find the proper spots for the bolt locations.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
71350SS likes this.

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 3:22 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

I ordered my 69 bucket seat auto console carpet from the NCOA magazine, The Chevelle Report back when Mark Meekins, Ausley and James Hinshaw first started the NCOA club, (before James Hinshaw dropped out and started his own Chevelle parts company.)

The carpet I received was for a four speed hump and stretched to go up high over the hump which my 69 does not have.

I had to put a lot of extra padding in the hump area under the console but as far as I know, nobody has ever noticed it, not even me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 4:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ben

Garage

x4
You need the carpet with the embossing for the 4spd hump regardless of the console or not.

Buckets vs bench there is dno difference in carpet sets.

Ben R.

-

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 4:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

there's a difference in the cut of the front between buckets and bench....not so certain the aftermarket recognizes that though.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 5:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

This is where you can pick up the right carpet from it is the only place I have had great carpet send to me ever time.
Call them and talk to someone there and you will get the right carpet for your Chevelle.

Each floor pad is different you have to order the carpet to match your floor. auto and 4 speed is not the same as where buckets seats with and bench is also different carpet.

https://www.stockinteriors.com/items...59&MainCatId=1

https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoC...021&ModelId=59
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 5:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Here are the 4 different Carpet's they have for the 1968 - 1972 Chevelle

2 Door 4 Speed, Bench Seat Molded Carpet

2 Door 4 Speed, Bucket Seat Molded Carpet

2 Door 4 Speed, With Factory Console Molded Carpet

2 Door Automatic Molded Carpet
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 8:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yeah, I also think the description on RockAuto was wrong... saying the 4 speed bench is the same as the automatic.
Unfortunately I can't return it since I've already cut it. But I'll order the correct set. Chalk it up to the money pit

Johnny Bravo - your carpet turned out great! Thanks for sharing pics! I also used a dynamat type product on the floor pans.

B52bombardier1 - Yep, I used the soldering iron to make the holes, worked great and sealed all the loose fibers around the hole. If I used a dynamat type product with a smooth foil top layer, do you think the 3M glue would work on that? Hopefully the new carpet will lay down real nice and I won't need glue.

Thanks again guys, I feel better knowing my interior has a chance of looking good now.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 20, 9:03 PM
Tech Team
Rick

The 3M glue worked between my aluminized rubber sound deadening product and the carpet. I see no reason for anything different with your situation.

The best thing is heat and weight to get it to lay flat where you want it.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 7:06 AM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Just curious, did you call ACC and ask them ???? I certainly would before spending any more money. The last time I needed carpet I bought it directly from them.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 8:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks again Guys!

Mr. Bill - I was on their web site which lead me to believe I got the wrong carpet from RockAuto because of their product description. I'd order from ACC directly but it over $100 more, which is disappointing.

I ordered a new set, 2 door - 4 speed - w/o console. Let's see what happens.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 20, 9:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes_69Chevelle View Post
Thanks again Guys!

Mr. Bill - I was on their web site which lead me to believe I got the wrong carpet from RockAuto because of their product description. I'd order from ACC directly but it over $100 more, which is disappointing.

I ordered a new set, 2 door - 4 speed - w/o console. Let's see what happens.
I'm not sure who you ordered your carpet from this time .
From what I read you should call them back up because you still ordered the wrong carpet again.
You need the 2 door 4 speed with bench seat, The one you ordered is for bucket seats w/o console.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in