How would you choose from these 2 sets of seats? - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 7:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
How would you choose from these 2 sets of seats?

I have two sets of bucket seats for my71SS. The original set and a spare set from a71 Malibu. Both sets need to be reupholstered.

I am keeping a set and want to sell a set. I will post pictures and will take requests for what areas this discussion needs to see.

My main question is... how should I evaluate the best ones and how far should I go in tearing them down so that I may be able to choose and still leave the ones I will sell with some value as far as recouping some cash to put back in the ones I am keeping?

Any and all input is more than welcomed, and I thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 7:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
Here is a quick shot of my originals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800E6049-5DFD-4AA8-B363-A6847A4A7E6E_1580166530933.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	614794   Click image for larger version

Name:	1549A211-E698-41F0-8938-875DF0BB382A_1580166628134.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	614796  

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner
2017 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 7:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage
Here are the spares
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02A34A65-F6F4-4A23-BEEE-388C44BBC08D_1580166714120.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	614798   Click image for larger version

Name:	74108F41-1EEF-4A0C-BDA3-4F83ED13D5B7_1580166737237.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	614800  

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Re: How would you choose from these 2 sets of seats?

Push on the lower cushions to see what the springs are like. Pick the best headrests and plastic panels and put them on the seat frames that you feel have the better springs. Flip the seats up side down to inspect the lower cushion springs from the bottom side. Look for any broken springs. The foam on both pairs of seats that you have look very usable from the pictures. I would most likely use the passenger seat from both sets. The drivers seats will usually have more frame/spring issues. If you use both passenger seats, be sure to switch the slide tracks so that you have drivers side and passenger side tracks on the set you keep.
RAMBO, blm, red68chevL and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 8:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

Dan, it is interesting that you recommend using both pass seats. The buckets i have, i planned to swap side for side. Terry
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 20, 10:18 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Every time a car is driven someone is sitting in the drivers seat. This causes a lot of stress on the springs over time and miles. Some cars seldom have someone in the passenger seats. This makes for stiffer springs and less broken springs. If a person only has access to one set of seats then a side to side switch is in order.
RAMBO likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 20, 2:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I'd pull the rear panel and see if you can see the springs. Same for underneath...

Not sure if it would make much difference in value, but if planning a full resto (new foam), I'd consider selling the two BEST seats for more money ( not obvious cores) Might not make a difference, because it looks like you only have one really nice back and one really nice bottom...

When I recovered my last set, I took the worst of mine (I think I had 3 sets of cores) since it was a full resto. But mine were all "California" so aside from springs and foam, the frames were all great...
I recent got my supplies from Rambo for my '66, just need to order my foams and find some time...

Naturally, parts like headrests and side/back panels you may want to keep the best for yours. But I installed repro side and back panels (8-10 years ago), and I was happy with the fit and finish.
RAMBO likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 8:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Okay...here is a really dumb question....

How do you get the button off the seat back to remove the seat back?

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 10:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

There is a steel clip/tab on both side of the button housing that need to be depressed. This can not be seen with the button assembly installed.You must slide a straight blade screw driver under the button housing by pressing down gently on the seat back so that you get a gap to slide the screw driver in. The tap the screw driver with the palm of your hand. The button housing should pop up and release itself on that side. Now do the same to the other side of the button housing. The clip you must depress is in the middle of the button housing. Without a video, this is the best that I can describe this. It is very easy. Be careful. Do not break it. To re install just simply pop the button assembly into place by tapping it in with your hand.
RAMBO likes this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 20, 11:20 AM
Tech Team

Thanks realred70 for your reply to the how to remove seat button
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 9:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
Push on the lower cushions to see what the springs are like... I would most likely use the passenger seat from both sets. .

This is turning out to be sound advice. I have all the trim panels and headrests off. The springs on the passenger seats do appear to be stronger and more uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealRed70 View Post
There is a steel clip/tab on both side of the button housing that need to be depressed. .

That worked, thank you.

Still working on figuring out which seats I'll keep. Just a little more detective work.

'71 SS 350
3rd and 6th owner
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

My upholsterer covers the rear plastic panel with vinyl.. They look nice...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raineman View Post
This is turning out to be sound advice. I have all the trim panels and headrests off. The springs on the passenger seats do appear to be stronger and more uniform.

That worked, thank you.

Still working on figuring out which seats I'll keep. Just a little more detective work.
I am glad you are getting it sorted out.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:02 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I agree with everything Real Red said. If I were restoring Strato bucket seats I would completely break them down, remove any rust then paint the frames and springs including deducting,cleaning and lubing the track bearings. I would also do a few other things. One would be to seek out pics of how RAMBO doubles up certain support springs in the lower assembly. Quite often one will find the original single support springs broken. Also I would strongly consider replacing the 50 year old seat foam/buns with new ACI seat buns.
RealRed70 likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 1:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

ACI seat buns are the best available. They work GREAT.
red68chevL likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in