Advice - Chevelle Tech
Interiors Upholstery and soft trim

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Advice

Good Day all. I’m looking for some suggestions/information on how to make a 67 chevelle trunk look good with carpet or other ideas. Just looking to clean it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:12 PM

I sprayed my trunk with 3M Body Schutz and put a factory trunk mat down after. I think it looks pretty clean.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 19, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

3M is like a rubberized adhesive..??
Did you cover the sides as well..??

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 12:00 AM

It is a rubberized coating, yes. It's what I used as an undercoat and I did inside my fenderwells also. I thought it would be worth a shot in the trunk and it turned out nice, in my mind anyways. And yes, I went up the sides with it too. I coated everything except the deck lid. You can buy it at any auto paint supplier, but you have to purchase the gun to spray it with as well. Unless you know someone with a gun.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 4:24 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Advice

I painted mine with bedliner paint then used cheap auto carpet from ebay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 9:25 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Carpet and especially a trunk mat will hold a good bit of moisture. Personally I wouldn't want either. Better solution is some kind of paint to spruce it up.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 19, 3:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Carpet and especially a trunk mat will hold a good bit of moisture. Personally I wouldn't want either. Better solution is some kind of paint to spruce it up.

My car always sits in the garage with the hood and trunk open, so moisture isn't really an issue. It can definitely be problem if you can't do that though. The cheap carpet from ebay is kinda thin and breathable too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 12:34 AM
Team Member
David

Garage

You can also get a gray or black gauzy-like trunk liner material from any auto upholstery supply house that is very stretchy and easy to work with. You use spray adhesive on one surface (if you want easy removal later) and it stretches easily over compound curves to make a nice finished look. I had a friend with a sewing machine make me a spare tire cover from it as well on an old Cadillac I used to own; when I sold it years later the buyer said he knew it was a well cared for car by the immaculate trunk The stuff is cheap, too.

72 El Camino
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 8:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Black rustoleum and spatter paint, mines just black rustoleum for now

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 9:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Not an inexpensive option but you could do something like this after you take care of rust & paint:

https://www.alienenclosures.com/prod...-trunk-panels/

I don't know what your build goals are so may/may not fit in the plan. Personally, I think this treatment looks good on a modern street machine/protour type build but is a out of place/ a bit odd on a traditional hot rod. Maybe a simpler design would fit a traditional hot rod better...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Unread Today, 1:38 PM
Gold Founding Member

Garage

Nothing looks better to me than being clean with the correct spatter paint and a fresh mat. I don’t like putting an enclosure in the trunk because it looks so small. Trunks get wet and I wouldn’t want carpet in the trunk for that reason.

Other opinions will vary!

Mencken: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in